Random question for Asher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random question for Asher

So you are, essentially "Mister Windows," right? I mean, always quick to leap to the defense of Microsoft, equally quick to slam Apple, Linux, or...basically anybody that's not Microsoft.

My question is this:

Given that Microsoft, as an OS vendor, cannot compete on the basis of price with some of her rivals (Linux, most notably), then they must compete on the basis of features (which is about the only thing left, if you take price away).

Thus, what features do MS Operating Systems have that in your mind make them worth some $200 more than their freebie counterparts?

I've got a network in my home, and two of my three computers have XP on them, so this question does not come from someone with an axe to grind, by any means.

I'm just curious to know your thoughts...what is it about MS OS's that make them worth the two hundred plus bucks you gotta shell out, when there are perfectly functional OS's out there for....well...free.

-=Vel=-
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Actually I have to say that Asher gives credit where credit is due, like with Firefox . Also he praised Apple recently, which shows he's not some fanboy.
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
      Also he praised Apple recently, which shows he's not some fanboy.
      I am not so sure about that, at least he caused the destruction of the Mac forum.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

:: shrug::

either way....it's an interesting question to me. What's all the fuss about, in the end? I'm seriously considering ditching XP on the two machines that have it, given the success I've been enjoying using Linux. Free's good.

Free's hard to top.

-=Vel=-
        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Re: Random question for Asher

Originally posted by Velociryx
          Thus, what features do MS Operating Systems have that in your mind make them worth some $200 more than their freebie counterparts?
          Games
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

he caused the destruction of the Mac forum
            How?
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

IIRC, Asher is running Linux on one (some?) of his boxes.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

How?
                The forum wasn't being monitored by the mods, and Asher reported that some people were getting +1s by discussing general Mac topics instead of the Mac version of Civ.

Comment

Asher was also the one who made these +1 plentiful. He brought his trolls there, and the near-dead Mac forum surged with an intense, OT-esque activity. That's why they were getting too many +1, and were seriously hurting the original mission of the Mac forum.

It was not a mere ratting out. It was a masterful set-up.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah. It was an astute but despicable move.

Comment

the mac forum hasnt had any posts in the last 20 days
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

My question is this:

Given that Microsoft, as an OS vendor, cannot compete on the basis of price with some of her rivals (Linux, most notably), then they must compete on the basis of features (which is about the only thing left, if you take price away).

I've got a network in my home, and two of my three computers have XP on them, so this question does not come from someone with an axe to grind, by any means.

I'm just curious to know your thoughts...what is it about MS OS's that make them worth the two hundred plus bucks you gotta shell out, when there are perfectly functional OS's out there for....well...free.

-=Vel=-
                        For one, it's the industry standard. It has all the software you need on it.

It has a "standard" setup, which Linux does not have.

It has an extremely powerful API setup with incredible documentation for developers to create these programs.

It has a rather consistent UI that it seems most people don't have a problem using.

But it all comes down to the software. The "perfect" OS with only a handful of quality programs is useless.

Linux is too configurable, and most of the software available for Linux lacks polish and professional design.

MacOS X is different, I just don't like some of the design decisions they made. The main problem is Apple's vendor lock-in strategy and monopoly on just about everything on your computer. They also charge for every new version of its OS, and don't offer an upgrade package.

What it comes down to is this: Windows works, it has the most software available to it, and it's the standard. It's the premier desktop OS, period.

MS made it easy to develop for Windows and got a huge advantage from that, and it's paying off. Other people are trying to play catchup, but Linux and MacOS both don't have anything comparable to DirectX for Game Development, or even a decent competitor to MFCs...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          IIRC, Asher is running Linux on one (some?) of his boxes.
                          I run Linux on a 486 back in Calgary that acts as a router, and I did run Linux/Windows dualboot on my P3 800. I've tried to install Linux on my new PC and my laptop, but there's way too many problems with it to be worth my time. At school we use Solaris and Linux, and at work we use AIX, Linux (SLES, RHEL, YHPC), and MacOS X.

I'm not the wholesale defender of Microsoft people make me out to be, I advocate the right tool for the right job regardless of partisanship.

The reason I had fun with the Mac forum wasn't really my hatred for Macs, it was because people like Drake and Agathon were, at the time, really getting on my nerves. There were repeated direct insults made to my SO, for example.

So something had to be done.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So you are, essentially "Mister Windows," right? I mean, always quick to leap to the defense of Microsoft, equally quick to slam Apple, Linux, or...basically anybody that's not Microsoft.

My question is this:

Not having to compile the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              Yeah. It was an astute but despicable move.
                              It was brilliant. I still laugh out loud when I read Ming's thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X