France to Strike on Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pchang
    I have encountered very lazy SNCF workers. In one case, they made me wait in a security line before boarding the TGV because they were all on a break. I ended up missing the train and had to get another connection (I ended having to find a local from Calaise to Lille).
    I can remember one time where I encountered outright laziness to a point that it hurt the service, so you weren't lucky (I took French trains once every few weeks for the last 5 years). But I too missed a train at Lille because of their atrocious "security" screenings

It wasn't due to laziness, but to the fact that it was impossible to buy the ticket in the train, and that I had no time anymore to buy one in the station
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Isn't laziness a part of being communist?
      For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
        Isn't laziness a part of being communist?
        the same way massive brain dysfunction is part of being a capitalist
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
          the same way massive brain dysfunction is part of being a capitalist
          Massive brain dysfunction? Laziness? I think I'll go with the massive brain dysfunction.. afterall we capitalists invent things for you lazy masses.
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

what have you invented?
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

the TGV needs more non smoking wagons - the last two times i took them, they were all sold out, and i had to sit in the smoking compartment. of course, every frenchman and his brother didnt light up until after the train started rolling (you would think they woulda done it on the quai)
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

IIRC, there are now no smoking wagons in the TGV anymore. Don't quote me on that, though, I haven't taken the TGV in more than a year
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

Tried out British trains? They make you wait because there are a few leaves on the lines.
                  He's a nice song about the London Underground. It sums up my feelings.

Listen to track #8.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                    Originally posted by Saras
                    We (re-)declared it on March 11, 1990, silly, unlike our sissy northern cousins

Ah. I am pwned. You are my deity.
                    kill your idols
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo

I think I'll go with the massive brain dysfunction..
                      Shouldn't you have used the past tense ?
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Personal attacks

2. The strikes doesn't come from a bizarre pleasure of blocking the economy (which you'll see in Sava's and Odin's posts rather than mine, btw). They come from several causes, the main one being the strong social malaise happening in France at the time.
                        Strikes don't solve society-wide economic malaise. They make it worse. You should let Chirac do his best in solving the crisis and give him a boot during the elections if he fails in it. How is the president supposed to solve anything if a large portion of the society makes their common problems worse just to show him how much he sucks? The problem with France has been and is currently is ultra-partisanship: Everything has to be politicisized.
                        Last edited by RGBVideo; March 12, 2005, 07:31.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                          Personal attacks

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                            Strikes don't solve society-wide economic malaise. They make it worse. You should let Chirac do his best in solving the crisis and give him a boot during the elections if he fails in it.
                            That's what we do, when there are elections (such as last year). Unfortunately, Chirac didn't change his tune despite having had his ass handed something fierce. Considering that the voice of the voter doesn't stop him in his destructing spree, the voice of the worker has to.

How is the president supposed to solve anything if a large portion of the society makes their common problems worse just to show him how much he sucks?

The strike barely contributes to worsening problems. France remained a functional country despite the strile, and it's not like we can kiss 1/365th of our GNP goodbye because of it. Yet it was serious enough for Chirac now to seriously reconsider some og his policy. Because unlike elections, strikes can happen at any time. It's not like he has 3 years without having to respond to the unions whatsoever The voters don't have such power.

The problem with France has been and is currently is ultra-partisanship: Everything has to be politicisized.
                            I would say that the fall of purchasing power, and the general uncaring attitude toward the "France of the bottom" (to quote our PM) is the kind of issue that deserves politicization. Unfortunately, it's also the ind of issue where the voters are shat upon, and where the unions have to act.

Comment

france is feeling bad about itself, maybe thats why they dont wanna go to war in iraq.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Tell me (to any frenchman here).. how does it feel that unions have more power then voters even though they represent less then 10% of the population? You guys should change how the system works, reduce their power...

Comment

Working...
                                X