X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $12.30 Cdn

Two teens arrested in suspected dragging death

CTV.ca News Staff

Police in British Columbia arrested two youths on Tuesday after a gas station attendant was dragged to his death under a fleeing car.

Grant DePatie, a 24-year-old gas station employee, jumped in front of the car late Monday night, trying to stop it from taking off with the $12.30 worth of gas its driver hadn't paid for.

But the vehicle didn't stop.

"His intervening resulted in him being run over by the vehicle and dragged under the vehicle a considerable distance," said Cpl. Bernie Smandych of the Ridge Meadows RCMP.

The incident happened around midnight PT during DePatie's overnight shift at an Esso gas station in Maple Ridge.

His naked body and what was left of his shredded clothing were found seven kilometres from the station.

The RCMP have arrested a 16-year-old Maple Ridge youth and a 15 year old youth from Pitt Meadows in connection with the incident.

The car involved, a white 1990-model year Chrysler LeBaron, was stolen. It was eventually found earlier Tuesday at a strip mall with its gas cap still dangling and the DePatie's sweater reportedly still attached.

DePatie's roommate Shawn O'Shea described the 24-year-old as an "all around good guy. He was young and he was just trying to get ahead.

Gas station co-worker Kim Crossley told CTV Vancouver that DePatie was "an awesome worker. He never did anything wrong and he wanted his shift to go perfect all the time, and it cost him his life."

Anyone with information about the case, or anyone who may have spotted the white Chrysler LeBaron car that night, is asked to either call CrimeStoppers or get in direct contact with Maple Ridge RCMP at 604-463-6251.

Attendant dragged to death over $12 theft

By PETTI FONG

Tuesday, March 8, 2005 Updated at 11:47 PM EST

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail
    Advertisement

Vancouver — A gas station attendant earning minimum wage on the overnight shift was dragged seven kilometres to his death after he tried to stop a driver from stealing $12 worth of gas.

Police said the thief ran over Grant De Patie, a 24-year-old employee around midnight and Mr. De Patie then became lodged underneath the vehicle for the long, winding journey in rural Maple Ridge, about an hour east of Vancouver.

Hours later, a thin line of blood was still visible along sections of the road.

The gas station attendant, who had been on the job since October, tried to stop the thief through the driver's side. The vehicle had been reported stolen earlier in the day.

Advertisements
    click here
    Budget 2004ad1
    Click Heread1

Ridge Meadows RCMP arrested two teen-agers late yesterday, a 16-year-old boy from Maple Ridge and a 15-year-old boy from the nearby community of Pitt Meadows. The abandoned vehicle was recovered yesterday morning.

A video camera positioned at the gas station pumps may have captured images but police are not saying whether any have been recovered.

About a half a dozen employees were seen crying and consoling each other inside the gas station and flowers were left in the hedge by the pump where the $12.30 amount of gas was still up.

Gas station owner Barj Dhahan said the death has shocked Mr. De Patie's colleagues.

"We work closely as a team and are deeply affected by this terrible and senseless loss," Mr. Dhahan said.

Tammy Knipe, who was a friend of Mr. De Patie and lives around the corner from the station, said she heard screeching tires around midnight Monday.

"I looked out and saw this car roaring past," Ms. Knipe said. "I didn't know what was happening at the time."

The gas station is on the corner of an isolated part of Maple Ridge in the Fraser Valley.

Neighbour Brian Shay said his friend, Mr. De Patie, had expressed concerns about the gas station's location and the customers who come in at night, but was glad for the steady income from his minimum- wage job.

"I think for $12 worth of gas he should have just let him go. It wasn't worth this price," Mr. Shay said. "He's the kind of guy who wouldn't take any crap from anyone. From someone trying to steal gas to underage kids trying to buy cigarettes."

Imperial Oil company spokesman Hart Searle said all employees at the Maple Ridge station, which was independently owned, would have been offered training by the company.

But because training is not mandatory for independently owned stations, Mr. Searle said, he does not know whether the attendant received instruction on how to deal with thieves.

"Front and centre in the training is do not put you or anyone else in harm's way," Mr. Searle said.

The company also does not have a policy of making gas station attendants pay out of their own pocket for stolen gas, but Mr. Searle said individual owners can set their own policies.
    ****ed up.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Yeah, not worth the trouble.

Minimum wage to put up with that?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Two teens were arrested. One teen said he could hear de Patie screaming for several minutes while being dragged under the stolden car.

Since this is Canada and these are minors, they will probably do little or no jail time.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

That's ****ing cold. For $12.30 in Canadian? That's just pure cold blooded. And thank goodness for the Canadian justice system.. if you are a minor, you can commit murder and get off the hook.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
          T they will probably do little or no jail time.
          That is sad, they should be doing major time for this. What the hell was going through their tiny little minds.

And why was the attendant bothering to chase these guys, get the licensce and phone the cops.

Also no way in hell should the attendant be expected to pay for stolen gas. Thats going to cause more of this kind of crap. Isn't their labour laws or something. Also the cops don't like when people take the law into their own hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Webster

Also no way in hell should the attendant be expected to pay for stolen gas. Thats going to cause more of this kind of crap. Isn't their labour laws or something.
            The law varies from province to province. Domo Gas in Manitoba was fined a couple of years ago for having a policy that forced its minimum wage earning gas jockeys to pay for gas or other items stolen om their shift.
            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

There have been more and more drive aways in my area. I have noticed alot of stations now have cameras installed.

I know some owners might suspect their employees of stealing and some probably do.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                Since this is Canada and these are minors, they will probably do little or no jail time.
                I'd be surprised if they are not tried as adults and do not see the sunshine until sometime in their twenties.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  I'd be surprised if they are not tried as adults and do not see the sunshine until sometime in their twenties.
                  Well let's hope so.

Comment

Now don't you Canadians wish you had Texas law? These kids would be on death row before you could say The Alamo.

Comment

What's been happening with Canada in the last couple weeks? I thought this kind of stuff only happens on the other side of the border.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

A little high voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          What's been happening with Canada in the last couple weeks? I thought this kind of stuff only happens on the other side of the border.
                          couple of weeks??

We have always had plenty of crime. Urban Ontario is a real playground for all kinds of nonsense. And those urban burglars love those rural houses. Toronto seems to love the gunplay these days.

Had a farmer shoot his son in the head just a few miles away from me.

Americans would feel right at home here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            Now don't you Canadians wish you had Texas law? These kids would be on death row before you could say The Alamo.
                            In a word? No.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              You are out of date regarding DP for minors.
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X