LA: We are bad voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azazel

Eh? How big is that public approval, and does it include the residents of the area, only?

Also, does it take a referendum, or can it be done by politicians?

Very wierd and stupid.
    In NYC the Department of City Planning propses changes to the zoning map. Then the City Council (the legislative elected body of NYC, made up of 51 members elected by district) get final approval. Before the changes move on to the full council, the Borough president's office (akin to County executives in the rest of the US, but generally now a ceremonial post after changes in the Ciyt Charter gutted most of their powers) say whether they approve, as well as the local Community Boards (groups made up of 50 citizens with some interest in the area, meaning they live there, or work there, or own something there, appointed by the Borough president and the local Coiuncilmembers)

In theory, zoning changes not supported by the Borough president or the local Community Boards can pass, but only if majority of the members of the council, especially those in the requisite committees, approve.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

<------ Villaraigosa voter!

We love L.A.!

Comment

Villaraigosa voter? No clue. That guy is an idiot. I say we keep Hahn, and once it comes down to it that's what will end up happening. You hate L.A if you vote for that *****. And dude, get some common sense... you shouldn't be celebrating yet.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

i hate LA, i voted for him, its the right choice. maybe you guys will stop steal nor cals water, and the cancer will wither.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            i hate LA, i voted for him, its the right choice. maybe you guys will stop steal nor cals water, and the cancer will wither.
            Then oh, I wonder, oh I wonder.. where the hell would we get our water, genius? Villaraigosa is a corrupt fool, and is more corrupt then Hahn. That's why I'm voting for Hahn in the end... reluctantly.
            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
              Stealing North Cal's water? The water belongs to the state and 50% of the state's population lies LA or south. You complain about over population meaning a lack of open space in southern California but you should be happy that the water projects and the economic growth keep people in the south instead of moving north who'd lose their open space in a heart beat with the millions and millions of people we have in the south.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                Villaraigosa is a corrupt fool . . .
                "Corrupt" a "fool" and yet never been caught. Is there something just a little inconsistent with your logic, Giancarlo?

(BTW: Great avatar )

Comment

And if it wasn't for Southern california, the economy of California as a whole would be next to nothing. Lets face it, southern california has and always will be the economic powerhouse of Southern California. You want economic growth in this state then let us have the water that's rightfully ours! And damn, California is one state, it isn't two states (Northern and Southern California). It is California's water and the state has the right to do what it wants with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

"Corrupt" a "fool" and yet never been caught. Is there something just a little inconsistent with your logic, Giancarlo?

(BTW: Great avatar )
                    Same thing with Hahn. It never has been proven. But there are plenty of allegations. I think a little thing about Villaraigosa and Enron would wake you up a little bit.

What about my avatar?

Comment

BTW you seem to think all of Southern California is the same as LA which is incorrect. It's a big place and LA just represents the worst of it while Orange County, San Diego County, Imperial County, riverside County, and San Bernardino all represent entirely different ways of life/urban planning. I happen to like San Diego's idea of preserving open space and building density based housing so rail and mass transit becomes viable. That's a remarkably different vision of city planning then LA.
                      Last edited by Dinner; March 9, 2005, 20:04.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        BTW you seem to think all of Southern California is the same as LA which is incorrect. It's a big place and LA just represents the worst of it while Orange County, San diego County, Imperial County, riverside County, and San Bernadino all represent entirely different ways of life/urban planning. I happen to like San Diego's idea of preserving open space and building density based housing so rail and mass transite becomes viable. That's a remarkably different vision of city planning then LA.
                        I love San Diego.. it is my favorite city in the entire United States.. I would do anything to go back down there again... If only LA planned itself like they did. I remember Little Italy in the downtown.. but the city has changed since the last time I was there (six or seven years ago).

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:06.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            LA isn't as bad as it's made out to be

Most people have visions of South Central as though that was the entire County.
                            For once we do come in a rare agreement like in old times... yeah LA isn't as bad as people want to say it is. I like the area I live in..

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 22:06.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                                There are many exotic neighboorhoods here that own other cities.

Malibu, Palos Verdes, and all the beach cities except for Venice are really nice and unique areas.

LA is the most diverse city in the entire country, and that's what's so great about it.
                                Wait.. you live in LA?

I live in Northridge... nice middle class area...

Comment

Working...
                                X