No announcement yet.

LA: We are bad voters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

see that never happens in most cities in america that arnt on islands/peninsulas because its cheaper to build new, single story buildines than destroy the old and build up skyrises.

Don't tell me there is no zoning regulation on the state level...
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Suburbs suck rocks. The city is the place to be.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

see that never happens in most cities in america that arnt on islands/peninsulas because its cheaper to build new, single story buildines than destroy the old and build up skyrises.
        Uhh... transportation costs and pollution from cars?

I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with living in suburbia as long as you live near your job and all the services you want to use daily, which I doubt is possible in the American model.

Comment

Uhh... transportation costs and pollution from cars?
          highways are subsidized, gas is cheap, so its very cheap to live in the suburbs.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I don't mind the suburbs... I hate the city however.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

Let it crawl. First, some higher zoning around transportation arteries... and then crawl from there to the outside, and inside the city.
              Not going to happen. Zoning changes need public approval, and any pol from Queens who would support higher zoning is gone the next election. The fact is that most of the county is zoned for higher densities than currently exist (most of NYC current zoning was done in 1961, when planners expected to get a city of 20 million, not 8), and the move in Queens and Staten Island (the two boroughs with the most psace left) is to downzone whole areas to keep were it is.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not going to happen. Zoning changes need public approval,

Eh? How big is that public approval, and does it include the residents of the area, only?

Also, does it take a referendum, or can it be done by politicians?

Very wierd and stupid.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

very american
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

In soviet Russia, the land zones YOU.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

That picture makes me want to shoot myself in the face with a bazooka.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It's real life SimCity!
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Personally, I think of tumors and bacterial colonies on petri dishes.

And not because I am some sort of hater of humanity, god forbid.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's real life SimCity!

And you're zoning low-density residential like there is no tomorrow.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm revoting in the run-off for mayor Jim Hahn. I utterly despise Antonio Villaraigosa.
                              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                                what sort of prices are we looking at in north park/ east village for 2 - 4 bedroom?
                                These are all current rents for one room in a multibedroom house:

3 bedroom in in North park for $1800 or $600 per person.

Own room in a 7 bedroom Victorian in La Jolla Cove for $590.

3 bedroom in University City for $575 per person.

2 bed room one bath 1920's-1930's vintage craftsman home near Babloa Park for $700 per person.

2 bed/1 bath in Del Mar (right on the Pacific) not far from UCSD and close to AMTRAK. $750 gets you the master bedroom.

Hillcrest/downtown has large parks, lots of restaurants, and full trolley access. It's great as long as you don't mind living in the "gay" part of town plus 2bed/1bath goes for $500 per person.

3bed/2 bath in north park for $550 per person.

3bed/2bath in PB for $690 per person.

Baypark (near Mission Bay so close to Ocean) 3/1 for $1700 or $566 per person.

These are just on Craig's List but if you check signonsandiego.com then you'll find more http://realestate.signonsandiego.com...als/index.html

Old town is a bit hard to come by but if you can get a pre-WW1 flat or cottage for under $1500 I'd nab it.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X