No announcement yet.

Cheaper to rent than buy a house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is the case in the UK, my costs come to something like £500 a month, £350 mortgage the rest in bills (gas, lecy, water, rates, insurance etc)

It'd cost me at least £450 to rent a similar place.

Comment

This isn't the case in most places. Not in the old world, at least, from what I know.

Wouldn't that depend mainly on the size of the mortgage you are taking as a percentage of the cost of the home.

A percentage that decreases in a rising market.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        Wouldn't that depend mainly on the size of the mortgage you are taking as a percentage of the cost of the home.
        Mine was 95%, so it's pretty much 'like for like'

Ah, you snuck that last line in after I posted, I see what your saying now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Kid, when ever property prices go up there is a lag time between when those valuations occur and when they are reflected in the rental prices. Trust me they are coming. They always do.
          I don't think so. I agree with the Economist that prices will fall before rent goes up much.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

In some markets the growth rate in real prices has been enough to justifying buying if you count capital gains that haven't been realized, but I think the Economist is going with the assumption that prices will eventually normalize. Places like California it's kind of tough to judge because prices have gone up so much in the past, but I do think that that will change.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Even if housing prices fall, you're still better off in the long run buying than renting. Suppose you only get ten cents on the dollar back from your house? That's still more than you'd get renting?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hey Flubber... I just had a "senior moment"... instead of hitting the quote button to respond to your post, I hit the edit button... and pretty much destroyed your post.

So I just deleted what was left of it.

Sorry about that...
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

/me points and laughs at Ming.

don't be sad, we'll all come to that age at some point.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                    * Azazel points and laughs at Ming.

don't be sad, we'll all come to that age at some point.
                    Advancing age sure beats the alternative
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Point!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                        Even if housing prices fall, you're still better off in the long run buying than renting. Suppose you only get ten cents on the dollar back from your house? That's still more than you'd get renting?
                        Mainly true, but *some* people do fall into negative equity.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Cheaper to rent than buy a house?

Originally posted by Kidicious
                          According to this article at the Economist it's now cheaper to rent a house than it is to buy one in many countries including the US. It seems to me that that is clear evidence of bubbles. People are buying houses only for speculation of capital gains. When prices stop increasing there could be trouble.
                          After Fannie Mae goes down in flames and sorrow this will not be the case.

Comment

I don't think it's bubbles though, rather "inverse bubbles" where development, especially residential development, has been held down for decades by anti-development neighborhood organizations. Now, the shortage of housing has gotten so bad that all it took to tip the scales was a weak stock market.
                            As long as population growth exceeds the growth of housing units, prices will keep rising. In California, the state grew about 17% in the last ten years, but only increased housing supply by 10%.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

The fundimentals of the realestate business is sound in this state. Population growth keeps exceeding the growth in housing supply plus the economy keeps growing. That's a recipe for price increases.
                              Last edited by Dinner; March 9, 2005, 02:26.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Rent money is indeed lost money... and is somebody else's profit.
                                Depends.

1 heater replaced.

1 new tile floor.

Renting and not owning, Priceless!
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X