• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Max Webster

We can now say for certain that drugs kill after RCMP tragedy
    Since You Asked...

By Marc Hulet
    Wednesday March 09, 2005
    Mitchell Advocate — A lot of marijuana advocates will tell you pot is okay because it’s not addictive or it doesn’t hurt anyone.
    Tell that to the four families who are in mourning after their loved ones - four Alberta RCMP officers - were gunned down in cold blood while guarding a grow operation during a raid gone horribly wrong.
    We can now say, unequivocally, that drugs kill.
    The alleged killer, who reportedly took his own life after killing the officers, owned the property where the marijuana operation was found and reportedly had a lengthy criminal record.
    And to think, the government of Canada is considering decriminalizing marijuana. How stupid.
    It’s almost as stupid as actually doing drugs.
    Not only are drugs bad for your health, but they are addictive and they attract some of the worst human beings on the face of the earth.
    As well, lesser drugs like marijuana lead to harder, more dangerous and more expensive drugs like cocaine or heroin.
    That in turn makes life more dangerous for the average citizen of Canada as we have to worry about having our homes burglarized to help a dope-fiend pay for his or her next fix. Or we have to worry about accidentally getting caught in the crossfire of a drug deal gone wrong or a turf war by rival, drug running gangs.
    One of the worst things we can do is turn a blind eye to this problem. It is easy for a smaller community to say, “Oh well, this is a big city problem.”
    But I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. There are drugs in our community and in our schools. It does happen in Mitchell and it does happen in Fullarton, Logan and Hibbert.
    Your children are exposed to it every day, whether it is in the hallways of Mitchell District High School, or in Lions Park.
    It is horrible that it takes a tragedy, like what occurred in Alberta, to really open the eyes of Canadian citizens but hopefully we can learn from this.
    I lost one very good friend to drugs and I don’t want to lose anyone else.
    BULL****, this happened because marijuana is illegal... marijuana legal, this doesn't happen.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

The RCMP were there to repossess his pickup truck, and stumbled upon other criminal activities. In fact, the reason they were there overnight was it took long to dismantle and document the chop shop -- the grow up was dismantled quickly.

This would've happened if marijuana was legal or not, if marijuana present or not. He was a cop-hater psychopath with nothing to live for. Blaming this on marijuana is nonsensical, unethical, and unjust -- it's exactly the kind of thing I expect from the religious right. For a group of people all hell-bent on being ethical and morally good people, they're morally bankrupt.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Why were police sent to repo a truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
          Because the guy has a history of being...what's the word...problematic?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Pot wasn't the reason the cops were there, pot wasn't the reason the guy was a notorious cop-hater, and pot wasn't why he gunned them down in cold blood.

People who are using the deaths of these officers as political fodder ought to be ashamed. They are horrible Christians.
            I concur.

I think the author of that article has his head stuck up his ass.

I just wanted to throw it in this thread to see what people thought about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              Blaming this on marijuana is nonsensical, unethical, and unjust -- it's exactly the kind of thing I expect from the religious right.
              Not sure about the religious part but the author is from Mitchell which is rural southern ontario . So yeah you got the "right" part right big time.

Comment

As far as I know, the vast majority of people on the "right" that are socially conservative (eg, gay marriage and marijuana), they happen to be religious folks.

There are those of us to right which value actual freedoms and liberties.

And yes, I'm well aware that there are many religious people who are also in favor of marijuana legalization and gay marriage, I just don't know of any on the religious right.

Comment

A picture from the memorial:

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                    They weren't. The day previous to the shooting bailiffs were at the location to repossess a truck. There are reports that they saw signs of illegal activity and/or they were menaced by the owner of the property.

They called the RCMP. The RCMP responded and found the grow op and a chop shop.

It was a small grow op. The locals took it apart during the evening. The chop shop needed investigators from Edmonton. The investigators from Edmonton wouldn't be there til the next day.

2 constables were left to look after the scene pending the arrival of investigators from Edmonton. Another 2 happened to be there when the shooting happened.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      BULL****, this happened because marijuana is illegal... marijuana legal, this doesn't happen.
                      It wasn't about pot. It was about an outlaw who got very lucky.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

It wasn't about pot. It was about an outlaw who got very lucky.
                        ah so I see... it wasn't even about marijuana whatsoever... but it made for great talking points on legalization.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well yes, the subject has come up due to the initial buzz over this incident.

That doesn't mean this wouldn't have happened just for the chop shop had there been no pot.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

People who are using the deaths of these officers as political fodder ought to be ashamed. They are horrible Christians.
                            Seem to be plenty more folks pushing for legalisation. Just because they choose to talk more about legalisation than about the death of these 4 mounties, does that make them callous and uncaring?

Sauce for the goose after all.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              Seem to be plenty more folks pushing for legalisation. Just because they choose to talk more about legalisation than about the death of these 4 mounties, does that make them callous and uncaring?

Sauce for the goose after all.
                              Err, Ben, the point is people using the death of these officers for political gain in a situation where it wouldn't have made a difference are being callous.

Comment

If you ever watch APTN (aboriginal people's network) they had a brief flurry of indignation when the RCMP said 'it was the worst single loss of life in RCMP history since the Red River rebellion' (of the Metis), but they quickly came to their senses when they realized the guy was just being factual and wasn't trying to rile up indians and metis.

Was Roskoe an indian?

One thing I didn't realize before when I assumed that they weren't informed about him, is that this detachment was very small, four guys was a significant part of their force brought out for one guy.
                                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                                X