No announcement yet.

The Metal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it has heavy guitars, it is metal. and yes that includes nu metal. Not all nu metal is bad, just most of it.

Comment

Well, if you are looking hardc0re Jewish Heavy Metal, try the Makkabees. They kick all kinds of ass.

Industrial Metal:
      Laibach, Rammstein, Rob Zombie

Death Metal:
      Children of Bodom, Fantomas, Finntroll, Nightwish, Tristania

Power Metal:
      Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Helloween
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
        Well, if you are looking hardc0re Jewish Heavy Metal, try the Makkabees. They kick all kinds of ass.

Industrial Metal:
        Laibach, Rammstein, Rob Zombie

Death Metal:

Power Metal:
        Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Hammerfall, Helloween
        isn't Nightwish Black Metal? Black metal is not death metal.

Comment

Death Metal:
          You must have been smoking some very interesting sh1t

EDIT: That goes for Diss as well. Nightwish black metal???
          "Soft cozy power metal" would be a better term
          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I left my brief stay in metal after Prong and Gruntruck. Believe it or not, Sugar Ray had a serious metal song a long time ago.

Helmet is also good.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I didn't really like the singer, but it was cool party music!
              "Ju-metal"

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid

You must have been smoking some very interesting sh1t

EDIT: That goes for Diss as well. Nightwish black metal???
                "Soft cozy power metal" would be a better term
                actually I have never really listened to Nightwish's music before, but I thought I hear done song, and it sounded like black metal. But it's possible I'm confusing them with someone else.

Comment

A link for you, Diss

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                    A link for you, Diss
                    sounds like black/goth metal to me. When you have a chick singing in that goth type voice, I call it black metal.

Comment

Noone will stop you from doing so. And I will from now on call Dying Fetus a Eurodance band

Compare this to Nightwish. If you listen carefully, you may notice there are some subtle differences

Comment

i like old metal like black sabbath and led zeppelin.

how about goth metal? nightwish, after forever, haggard, withing temptation, sins of thy beloved

or maybe cool power metal which i like, such as sonata arctica, helloween, gamma ray, edguy,

or that i disklike like stratovarius, angra, rhapsody, blind guardian

or prog metal like symphony x and dream theater.

there is of course special categories, like new wave of brittish heavy metal which only includes Diamond Head, and New Wave of Danish Black Metal (iirc) which only includes Mercyful Faith.

Comment

Diss, Black Metal is bands like Burzum, Dimmu Borgir, Belial, Impaled Nazarene and Darkthrone. They usually look like this:

The music is fast and furious chaos and the vocals are unintelligible growls.

Nightwish is symphonic power metal. It´s like comparing a cuddly teddybear to a homocidal wood chipper
                          Last edited by Zoid; March 1, 2005, 08:35.
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I found a rather lengthy (and extremely pretentious) history of heavy metal. Enjoy!

History of metal music and its evolution from heavy metal to death metal and black metal including speed metal and thrash, covering sociopolitical and ideological influences on the metal movement, its culture (subculture) and historical growth as emerging from the counterculture it became a voice of expression for Romantic progressive industrial rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                              What is actually considered heavy metal these days? Guns and roses were kind and motely crue like jp and metllica but that was in the late eighties and early nineties.
                              The original "heavy metal" is a thing of the past really. Bands like Accept, Dio, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest are typical HM bands. Now the genre has split into a variety of sub-genres, where the HM influence is most visible in Power Metal bands like Hammerfall, Masterplan and Nightwish. But old bands like Entombed has shed their Death Metal skin and moved to a more rock´n roll/HM type of music.

New bands also play classical HM. I heard a swedish band on the radio that I thought were Dio. The singer sounded exactly like Ronnie James and the keyboards and guitar harmonies were Dio style. But to my utter surprise it was an (to me) unknown swedish band...

Genre definition of music is always hard to do. It´s a balance between generalization and academic pickiness

Comment

Eww! Eww! Eww! Don't link to anus.com! That guy is a nutjob. :P

Anyway though, a few things I'll comment on

Laibach is not Industrial metal. Just industrial. They used guitars only on the Jesus Christ Superstars album. A great example of an industrial metal band is Samael.

Nightwish is definitely neither black metal nor death metal but power metal, although they've been moving further away from the power metal sound into more of a general heavy metal direction. They certainly don't belong to any of the extreme metal genres. Black metal isn't characterized by melodic vocals at all, but high pitched screaming.

Children of Bodom are power metal too, they've got a sort-of death-ish vocal delivery, but what defines genres of metal is the guitar playing rather than the vocal style. Tristania, Finntroll, and Fantomas aren't really death metal either. Tristania falls more into gothic doom (which I differentiate from gothic metal which applies more to bands like Moonspell, the Babylon Whores, late Cemetary, Havayoth etc) Finntroll is just weird...would just have to call them folk metal, and Fantomas largely just defies categorization entirely. I'd rather use more typical death metal bands in defining the genre: Entombed, Morbid Angel, Vader, Vital Remains etc.

www.metal-archives.com is a great place for quite accurate genre descriptions of virtually every band that has ever existed. The people on its forum are a bit insane though.

Sirotnikov: If you like Black Sabbath, you should check out bands like Saint Vitus, Trouble, and Witchfinder General. They are classic doom bands and share much in common with Sabbath.
                                Last edited by Namaste; March 1, 2005, 10:41.
                                We're falling from ecstasy...

Comment

Working...
                                X