The Metal Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Metal Thread

IIRC there´s some Metalheads here. I just listened to the new Judas Priest album, and...damn! It´s the best album they´ve done since "Defenders of he Faith". Kerrang rates it as the best Priest album of all times, and maybe it is. It´s like a "Best of..." but with all new songs They play here on March 5, I have to see them

Another favourite band, Dark Tranquillity, released their new album "Character" recently. And it was a bit of a dissapointment really. Obvious "hits" were missing, like "Feast of Burden", "The Treason Wall", "Monocromatic Stains" or any other melodic masterpieces from earlier records. The album overall was a bland and weak experience. Not bad, just...lacking in interest, catchy hooks and melodies.

Masterplans "Aeronautics" is on the other hand very melodic. Maybe too much so. It´s obvious that singer Jorn Landes preference for AOR has been allowed to influence the album. But it´s almost as good as the debut album.

And if you haven´t heard it before. Demons & Wizards is a one off (?) collaboration between Blind Guardians Hansi Kürsch and Iced Earths Jon Schaffer. It´s really awesome!

More Metal to follow...
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

no responses. I guess we have no metalheads here

I've heard the song revolution from the new Preist album. That's a pretty cool song.

and I admit, I haven't heard of any of those other bands

Comment

Ahoj,

I've heard the single off the new Priest album, Revolution. I can't say it blew me away. In fact, I thought it was pretty mediocre. Apparently the song Judas Rising is supposed to rock pretty hard, but I'm very much debating if I will bother to pick it up since others are telling me the rest of the album is unspectacular.

Also heard the new Dark Tranquillity. It's a damn good album in my opinion, but is less immediate than Damage Done. After a few listens it really starts to open up to you though.

As for other recent releases, there hasn't been much out that interests me although I will probably pick up the new Strapping Young Lad and Green Carnation albums as soon as I have the means.

One other thing, Demons & Wizards isn't a one off project. Schaffer has been talking from time to time about writing material for the next album. No news on when that will happen though, or at least none that I'm aware of. I used to like that album years ago, but I have to admit that I've become massively bored with Jon Schaffer's riffs songwriting for anything after Burnt Offerings.
      Last edited by Namaste; February 27, 2005, 16:05.
      We're falling from ecstasy...

Comment

Quite the lurker
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Regarding Judas Priest, nothing beats the Painkiller album in aggression and energy, which is what metal is about really.
            får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Its all about mastadon!!!!

Relapse Records is your one stop shop for all things Relapse Records! Browse for merch from artists such as DEATH, MASTODON, HIGH ON FIRE, NILE, MYRKUR and many more!

Alice in Chains is pretty Metal too, I know thatthey were part of the whole grunge rock thing, but their stuff totally fits the metal category too.

MSI is pretty new and underground. They have a sort of electro metal thing going. Its different.

IRON MAIDEN roxorz!!!!!

Cannibal Corpse kicks arse.

Pantera, RIP dimebag.

GWAR and Green Jelly are the two funiest bands in Metal.

Metallica- I've overlistened to the balck album, b/c I let my friend borrow the labum, and then he lsitened to it too much while we drove around. Now I hate black album, but Kill Em All **** yeah. (Bass Solos)

Rammstein- Their first couple of albums were better than the current Rise Rise. Herzelied is more Raw and I like it more, but Mutter is very good too Ich Vil

Scott Joplin- Probably the msot influential artist in Heavy Metal ever. Even though you don't see the piano in Heavy Metal that much, legions of metal gods list his as a major influence on thier style. Just as they thrash the guitar, he thrashes the piano.
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Sodium is a cool metal. I love how it reacts with water.
                    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

...may I also add that this is actually my first dance on Poly...

Comment

Ah, that obviously means that Namaste is your DL, Daz

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Nine posts before the mandatory silly response....

Namaste, I know Schaffer has talked about another D & W album. But nothing happens. It´s been five years since the release of the only album, hence my "one off" remark...

Diss, the metalheads do indeed seem to be either missing or uninterested in discussion... But check out the band I mentioned for some quality metal

bipolarbear, Maiden is pretty uninteresting nowadays. When Bruce returned I expected more. But OTOH, cudos to them for trying to evolve! It´s very easy to just keep hammering out the same old generic metal. Too bad it isn´t that interesting... The same goes for Metallica.

Rammstein remain my favourites in the industrial metal genre. "Reise, Reise" and "Mutter" was truly a way to reinvent the sound they created on the first two albums. And they are amazing on stage!
                          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Ah, that obviously means that Namaste is your DL, Daz
                            I would never say "Ahoj".

Ontopic: I loved metallica, but they have lost me the past couple of albums....

Comment

Currently in my mp3 player, Amon Amarth and Manowar
                              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Working...
                              X