• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd rather be Hunter S Thompson than President

(except for the dead part)
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Zombie Hunter S. Thompson
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Douglas Wead is is schmuck just like Linda Tripp. Both need to burn on what ever level of hell is reserved for betrayers and rumor mongerers.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
          Douglas Wead is is schmuck just like Linda Tripp. Both need to burn on what ever level of hell is reserved for betrayers and rumor mongerers.
          The Joe McCarthy/Roy Cohn level.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think he has every right to uphold the current laws and speak against drugs and not be hypocrite. People make mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes and so has Dubya. It doesn't mean he doesn't believe drugs are bad for you.

I have smoke pot. And I didn't like it. I got caught smoking pot. I got fined for doing it. Does it mean I'm a drug addict? No. Does it mean I will do it again? No. Most definitely not, because it's not even beneficiary for me. Does it mean I can't be trusted? No. On the other hand, I know what pot is, I have smoked it and that's it. If I speak against pot now, would it make me hypocrite? No. If I sentence someone for smoking pot, hypocrite? No. I was sentenced to fines too. Then again I wouldn't sentence someone for just smoking pot, if you ask me, go ahead and have fun.

Then there are people who say you shouldn't condemn drugs unless you have tried it yourself, so you know what it's about. Mixed messages, again, I don't think the two are connected as many claim it is.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              you guys are crazy!

Bush just can't repeal all the drug laws. He'd probably be impeached. You are overstating the power of the president. The president just can't do what he wants.
              The president can just about do everything he wants within reasonable limits. Maybe he can't pardon millions instantly, but he has the power to change the policiy of the government about this. He has the power to actually change things. If he doesn't have that power, then who does?

Besides via manipulation and playing with the media in the right way it's possible to do anything, such as ... say starting a war...
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                ... a person who pisses away all his talent in a stew of substances before finally blowing his own brains out.
                The man you refer to was probably 1000X more successful than you will ever dream of being. Way to piss it away HST.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I guess we'll see, won't we?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    This so called "success" is such a joke. Just look at Mr Bush's ventures with oil companies - one failed company after another. Such a success.
                    It was a success for him. He made boatloads of cash and it was only the investors who lost everything.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The way George Bush and his cronies trashed John McCain speaks volumes about his version of "Christianity" so nothing he does surprises me, including punishing millions for doing what he did.

Comment

Everyone in politics in the United States is a 'Christian'. The word means nothing. I saw John Ashcroft compromising his so-called beliefs during his confirmation hearings and I thought, what a hypocrite. Jesus said to turn the other cheek also. Why doesn't Bush forgive all the terrorists who blew up the trade center?

Answer:

The whole idea of Christian America is a big joke. All the real Christians here were killed off by the Indians years ago.

Comment

Jefferson believed there was a horizontal set of checks and balances, with the three branches checking each other, though only "in their own sphere of action." The Judiciary could overrule a lower court on a case. It could not, in his opinion, rule on acts of the Legislature or Executive. The Executive could refuse to implement a law it believed to be unconstitutional.

But he didn't do a damned thing to put his ideas in place. When Chief Justice Marshall declared there was such a thing as 'judicial review', Jefferson didn't decry it to the rafters. Instead he was happy that he didn't have to give the judgeship to the midnight appointee and went on his way. His lack of opposition to Marshall's decision, overturning portions of the Judiciary Act of 1789 lay the groundwork for the Supreme Court's immense power today.

The A&S was a big issue in the election Jefferson won several months before being sworn in and he said he would not enforce it and the above was his rationale.

He wouldn't have to refuse to enforce it (which was a power the executive reserved even after judicial review was in full swing, btw... it didn't involve declaring anything unconstitutional, however), he could just let it die without renewing it.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
                            The president can just about do everything he wants within reasonable limits. Maybe he can't pardon millions instantly, but he has the power to change the policiy of the government about this. He has the power to actually change things. If he doesn't have that power, then who does?
                            It's called Congress. President doesn't have the power to change jack domestically if Congress isn't on board.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But he didn't do a damned thing to put his ideas in place. When Chief Justice Marshall declared there was such a thing as 'judicial review', Jefferson didn't decry it to the rafters. Instead he was happy that he didn't have to give the judgeship to the midnight appointee and went on his way. His lack of opposition to Marshall's decision, overturning portions of the Judiciary Act of 1789 lay the groundwork for the Supreme Court's immense power today.
                              Thats nice

He wouldn't have to refuse to enforce it (which was a power the executive reserved even after judicial review was in full swing, btw... it didn't involve declaring anything unconstitutional, however), he could just let it die without renewing it.
                              When he gave his rationale for ignoring the A&S it was still in effect, he was merely explaining why he would ignore it once in office. Look again at what he said if you think he wasn't declaring it unconstitutional...

"The Executive could refuse to implement a law it believed to be unconstitutional."

He was talking specifically about the sedition act.

Comment

Working...
                              X