The Bush Tapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bush Tapes

Aside from the appearance of hypocrisy of GOP members condemning "the secret taping" by Douglas Wead (yeah, thats his name) when they were defending Linda Tripp who secretly taped Monica Lewinsky, Bush appears to "admit" once again that he used marijuana, if not cocaine, but explained his "strategy" of not answering questions about his drug use because he doesn't want children to think its okay to use drugs (he may have a point but I smell a rationalisation, not genuine concern).

Hence my question: does he have the moral authority, assuming of course one can have the moral authority, to punish people for doing what he did? How can a former pot smoker have the moral authority to punish others for smoking pot? How can a former cocaine user have the moral authority to punish cocaine users? Wasn't this what Jesus (Bush says he's a Christian) was criticising when he said "judge not" and "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? Its not as cut and dried, obviously parents punish their children for doing bad things the parents did when they were youngsters, but when children find this out about their parents, do they not see the hypocrisy and react with "but you did it too"?

te same as a former killer can punish killers

just because you did something wrong, does not mean that you can never recognise what you did was wrong

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The tapes are interesting, especially the part where Bush says he is against the Christian Coalition's attacks on homosexuals.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Amusing anecdote from HST:

Thompson claimed to know a thing or two about the president's partying past. In an interview with The Independent in 2004, Thompson said he remembered meeting Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974. He said that Bush was "with a guy who had come to sell . . . " but then cut himself off. "Look, I'm not going to put this next sentence on the record. Let's just say that 'a friend of mine' was buying cocaine. I have friends in Houston from all walks of life. Lawyers. Professional men. Bush was hanging around with this crowd of what you might call gilded coke dilettantes."

Thompson's memory wasn't always the most reliable, and his story about his Houston encounter with Bush evolved over time. But in the 2004 telling of it, at least, Thompson said the future president had left an indelible impression on him. "He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer," Thompson said. "I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away."

The latest and best War Room news and articles from the award-winning team at Salon.com. Read more War Room breaking news, in-depth reporting and criticism.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

te same as a former killer can punish killers

just because you did something wrong, does not mean that you can never recognise what you did was wrong
          But doesn't one lose the moral authority? The adulteress did something wrong according to Jesus, yet he "defended" her by pointing to the wrongs of her would be punishers. Its not about recognising a wrong you've committed, thats where repentance and hopefully forgiveness enters the picture, but how can one retain the moral authority to punish others for doing what you have done? Should they not have the same opportunity to repent and receive forgiveness in due time?

Comment

Thirty years later, Bush is the most powerful man on Earth and HST is in a morgue somewhere. Who's nothing now?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If you value a person based on how far he can get in politics through manipulation, fearmongering, and his daddy's name, I suppose Bush would be the better man.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

Actually, I just value a person who manages to turn away from drugs and succeed more than I do a person who pisses away all his talent in a stew of substances before finally blowing his own brains out.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                  Actually, I just value a person who manages to turn away from drugs and succeed more than I do a person who pisses away all his talent in a stew of substances before finally blowing his own brains out.

Comment

Yawn. Dear Leader was in one of the most powerful families in the country. I bet that it's a lot easier to kick the habit if you don't have to worry about rent.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                      Yawn. Dear Leader was in one of the most powerful families in the country. I bet that it's a lot easier to kick the habit if you don't have to worry about rent.
                      And HST had to worry abot rent? I think not.

Comment

Yes, he did. He had to work for a living, rather than having daddy to prop him up.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

The only reason HST would have had to worry about rent is if he was spending too much of his ample cash on drugs. Cry me a river...
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I dont know Drake, the measure of a man may depend on how many victims are lined up before God on Judgement Day with their fingers pointing at him. Hunter will likely have far fewer people condemning him on that day, Bush will have millions...

Better to use drugs and not put millions in cages than be sober while you cage millions for doing what you did... I believe hypocrisy is God's voice speaking to us when we wrong others, hence the golden rule, do unto others.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                              Yes, he did. He had to work for a living, rather than having daddy to prop him up.
                              yeah I read his work history today. Pretty impressive. He had no money problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X