Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did German defeat in WW2 become inevitable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That is another historically impossible scenario. Japan would attack the US, that's just a question of when.
    Can't disagree with that.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

when they the U.K. declared war on them.

duh'.

People overrate the germans success. Sure they can beat up on small countries like Poland. But when faced with real countries such as England. They had no chance at all. Sure they had initial success against England. But it was obvious they had no chance of conquering them.

Germany was doomed as soon as Hitler took power. It was impossible for them to win the war the way Hitler wanted to do it.

Comment

The best defender the Brits had was the channel.

Sure, the air force was decent -- at least the Spitfires and Hurricanes. But the Germans could match those planes with the ME-109 and pilots of equivilant skill.

If you connect England to the main continent and disconnect France -- it's France that survives the German attack and England falls to the German 1940 invasion.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
          The best defender the Brits had was the channel.

Sure, the air force was decent -- at least the Spitfires and Hurricanes. But the Germans could match those planes with the ME-109 and pilots of equivilant skill.

If you connect England to the main continent and disconnect France -- it's France that survives the German attack and England falls to the German 1940 invasion.
          I won't dispute that.

But the channel is there. That's what shaped England into the country it is today. So we have to include it into the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
            Yeah, but then Wellington would have nearly conquered the continent of Europe save for Napoleon's tenacious opposition eventually bringing him to bay. Meanwhile, and much much worse, the Spanish assume the position of the Scottish, meaning that the entire latin American community would speak Scottish, not Spanish. Can you possibly imagine the utter wrongness of that? Imagine the "Macarena" sung with a thick Scottish brogue.....OCK! MACKARRRENA! Imagine "La Vida Loco", "Felice Navidad" or "Des Colores" accompanied by bagpipes.

No, whatever you do, do not switch the positions of France and England.
            Last edited by Dr Strangelove; February 19, 2005, 17:44.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Meanwhile, and much much worse, the Spanish assume the position of the Scottish, meaning that the entire latin American community would speak Scottish, not Spanish. Can you possibly imagine the utter wrongness of that? Imagine the "Macarena" sung with a thick Scottish brogue.....OCK! MACKARRRENA! Imagine "La Vida Loco", or "Des Colores" accompanied by bagpipes.

No, whatever you do, do not switch the positions of France and England.
              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                  Trying to conquer the world never works, especially not in the long run; the war was lost when it begun.
                  I've conquered world in EU2!!
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                    The Nazi's were, well, Nazis. So they couldn't very well be expected to behave like normal invaders so that the Russians would like them. They came into the Soviet Union to loot, pillage, kill the Jews and erradicate Communism. I doubt they could have done much to make themselves popular without ceasing to be Nazi's.
                    Many disliked communism... Many disliked Jews...
                    And many (Latvians, Ukrainians, Lithuanians) actually supported Germans.
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

And the Germans did encourage collaboration. Some Ukrainian and Baltic citizens actively participated in the massacre of the Jews. And the Germans formed SS units from the fascist elements amoung these populations as well.

But the basic nature of the invasion didn't and couldn't change.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Battle of Britain. When Britain held firm the Allies had a nearby base of operations. If Britain had capitulated Vichy-style Germany would've remained unopposed in the West and in Africa, and probably would've secured rights to ME oil through Britain.

Then maybe Germany could've fought the Soviets to a standstill and redrawn the border somewhere near the Don or Volga. WW2 would be over, with Germany the victor in Europe. The US would concentrate on Japan and emerge the victor in the Pacific.

Then the Cold War would be between Germany and the US-Britain, with the Soviets playing catch-up. At some point they would form an alliance of convenience against Germany and WW3 would play out with results similar to WW2.
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Dec. 8, 1941, when Germany declared war on the U.S. it was all over but for the cleaning up.

Comment

I agree with Trip. The war seems to have been won with production facilities, more than anything else.

Comment

The US just had too many IPCs... they need to fix that in the next edition

Comment

Yeah, can't have things imbalanced, makes for bad gameplay.

Comment

Working...
                                X