Men, does your brain hate you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men, does your brain hate you?

Today I asked a girl out for the second time in my life. Specifically, to the Birthday Ball (Washington College has it every year on George Washington's birthday). The answer was no, of course, because being cute, intelligent and friendly she had a boyfriend, and would be going with him. But she acted perfectly nice about it, and she may well have been genuinely sorry (that's right, Elok, lick your wounds with flattery...). She said she hoped I would go, and invited me to come and talk to her while I was there.

This gave me pause. Evidently she meant that I should walk up and say hi, while she's standing there with her BF. The woman is very smart, so I don't think it's denseness, it just didn't occur to her that anyone would fail to enjoy that.

I'm wondering if what I'm referring to here is a uniquely male phenomenon, or if it happens to everyone, or if it's just me. Perhaps you know what I'm talking about: you run into the girl and her beau somewhere, perhaps by accident, and she introduces you. The moment you look him in the eye...

BAM! Immediately, for some perverse reason, your mind is flooded with an extremely graphic image of the two of them having sex, with the quality and raunchiness of the sex being directly proportional to how much you liked the girl. If, for example, you're mad about her and you've been dreaming about her every night, he'll be going at it doggy-style with his friends standing around and clapping, and she'll be ripping a pillow to shreds with her teeth in ecstasy.

You freeze in your tracks in horror, which is a tactical error, because in the interests of politeness the guy then extends his hand and says his name. Yay, now we have audio to go with the video! "Oh yeah honey, mmm that feels good, ahh..." "Grunt! Yeah, take it, *****, what are you looking at loser, you know you want it..."

At this point, if you're like me, you babble something blandly friendly and make an excuse to run away quickly before it gets worse somehow, trying to think of a way to stick your head in a plastic bag just long enough to black out and cause retroactive amnesia without killing you. Later that night, as the image starts running through your head again, keeping you from sleep, you'll begin to consider just sticking your head in the bag anyway, just to make it stop.

My best psychological explanation for this phenomenon is that the mind, in situations where it feels extremely helpless and threatened, will for lack of a better target decide to destroy itself just to give it the illusion of superiority over something, anything. Or maybe it's just me and I'm crazy.
    Yeah, and I know it happens to women too.
    0.00%
    Yes, and I'm a woman.
    0.00%
    Yes, it's a guy thing.
    12.50%
    No, or at least not that bad.
    75.00%
    No, but I'm a woman.
    0.00%
    You mean women say no sometimes? (Ted Striker option)
    12.50%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I shan't pretend I enjoy it when pretty girls introduce me to their bfs, but I've never experienced anything like you describe.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Not pretty girls in general, just women you've asked out or would like to ask out if you dared or could. I exaggerated slightly, I suppose, and I do have an unusually vivid imagination so it might be less extreme for others.
      1011 1100

Comment

thank god im that guy
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
          thank god im that guy
          Really? Give me your picture...

and the URL of a voodoo site, you ******....
          1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
            Not pretty girls in general, just women you've asked out or would like to ask out if you dared or could. I exaggerated slightly, I suppose, and I do have an unusually vivid imagination so it might be less extreme for others.
            Nope, never, and my imagination is probably more vivid than most people's.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

no, because I never talk to girls. so I avoid all these problems.

Comment

Okay, if nothing like this ever happens to you, LC, why do you dislike meeting The Boyfriend? Maybe what I'm saying is Count Your Blessings or something, but if it weren't for that show I'd have no problem meeting the guys. I'd gladly say hi, nice to meet you, you're a lucky guy, hahaha fake stupid laugh, whatever, so long as I didn't have to picture it.

And if this is unique to me, why is there such a large market for alcohol in the world?
                1011 1100

Comment

I will have been with my GF for 1 year on the 28th, so I don't have this problem, thank (insert deity of choice here)...
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I suppose it's not meeting the boyfriend as such I dislike, but learning of his existance.

As for alcohol, there are other reasons to drink it. Trust me.

Comment

Er, I was joking about the alcohol. I've had booze before.

Oh well, some guy, somewhere out there, must have felt this way at least once. Remember Office Space, anyone?
                      1011 1100

Comment

You should have just get out the big poppa for comparison. Say to her 'As you see.. I am much more of a man than your current partner. Now be it as it may, I might not be available in.... *checks the watch* less than two hours anymore. Quickly darling, I do not have all day to be wasting on your indecisiveness. Well well, What are you staring at, you are french the wrong way, you have hair on your armpits but you don't understand the meaning of carpe diem. You lost. Ta ta!'

And then walk out with your willy hanging in the air. They always shout 'NO WAIT! I changed my mind, sorry I was so slow!'. Sexy times..
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Pekka,

Was was just watching "Married with Children" and there was a scene where Al and the black guy that worked at the shoe store were using the shoe sizing thing and they were just about to measure who had the biggest but this lady walked in the store!!!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                            thank god im that guy
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

You have a very vivid imagination Elok. I'm glad I don't. I don't think about things like that.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X