No announcement yet.

Focus on the Family Blasts "Pooh's Heffalump Movie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was listening to a professor of Linguistics at UC Berkeley the other day on the radio. He said that the conservative philosophy all breaks down to this guy Dobson's philosophy about raising children. He believes that you need to punish your children severly until they feel enough pain that they develope their on code of morality. In constrast, liberals (US) believe more in reasoning with their children. The difference is that conservatives believe that all children are bad, and need to be made good, and liberals believe that children are already good, and can be reasoned with.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
        I was listening to a professor of Linguistics at UC Berkeley the other day on the radio. He said that the conservative philosophy all breaks down to this guy Dobson's philosophy about raising children. He believes that you need to punish your children severly until they feel enough pain that they develope their on code of morality. In constrast, liberals (US) believe more in reasoning with their children. The difference is that conservatives believe that all children are bad, and need to be made good, and liberals believe that children are already good, and can be reasoned with.
        Same coinage of the guy who wrote the article, different face.

Comment

This article is nothing but lies though. I went to the Focus on the Family website. Focus on the Family approves of this movie.

Comment

Heh heh, you said, "pooh."
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You know, this whole political rhetoric thing is really starting to get stale. Bleh.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                Same coinage of the guy who wrote the article, different face.
                Well this guy (Leicoff I think) said that he developed a breakdown of conservative philosophy from a liberal perspective and he asked his conservative friends if he got it right. They said "almost, but you say nothing about Dobson."

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                  You know, this whole political rhetoric thing is really starting to get stale. Bleh.
                  What do you mean, "starting"?
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

George Lakoff is actually in a fascinating position. His schtick is the power of metaphors in politics, and interestingly enough, John Kerry got his "a stronger america" slogan directly from Lakoff. Dean, too, is looking for ways to capitalize on Lakoff's research.
                    "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Children are neither good nor bad, but amoral, as in unaware of morality. Did you not have to teach your son* right from wrong?

*Something you said earlier made me believe you had a kid. If not, my bad.

Comment

He's right in normal day-to-day language though, imo.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Children are neither good nor bad, but amoral, as in unaware of morality. Did you not have to teach your son* right from wrong?

The real point Lakoff makes is not the teaching of right and wrong to the childen, but how you do it. Essentially, Lakoff proposes two models, the strict-father model and the nurturant parent model, and then says that the right and the left, respectively, try to apply these models to politics.
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

I think I had to give him spankings when he was very little, because he had no ability to reason. By the age of 5 though he seems very able to reason most of the time. Of course no one really developes their morality completely until they are adults.

Comment

I always distrust articles people post without a link so we can find out the source. Often they turn out to be wrong like this one.

Not that it will stop some people from continuing their endless bleating.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

What do you mean, "starting"?
                                Yeah, point taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X