Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will, will, will, will, will
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Investment banking is a shot load of fun once you earn your stripes. Long lunches, nice wine, invites to all sorts of functions (including private boxes at the cricket, rugby, football etc) big bucks and if you play your cards right, enough time to do the things you want.

Having worked in the field, my advice is work hard, then party hard. The effort will be worth it.
      "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
      "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        60 hours is one hell of a week Will. You're young, and although this would see you financially OK, you'll soon find your youth has slipped between your fingers in your corporate slavery. Be warned...
        Very true, which is why I'm not sure it's worth the time to get the capital up. However an internship sounds like an idea to see what it's like.

And do tell, what the hell are you doing all that time? It is a relatively quiet year, you should have loads of time...
        Well, I spend most of my time working for AIESEC, a charity that aims to promote cultural understanding by arranging for people to work in other countries, to experience culture first hand. I'm currently organising a project to send 15 politics students to Romania to teach civic education, citizenship and EU politics to high school students around the country, as part of a project to get young people in Romania interested in democracy. I've also started a management consultancy program, that developed people's knowledge of business and it's working, and will send 5 people each year to a developing nation to work with businesses, help them export to developed countries and help them run their businesses better. This is all without considering the jazz band I play in, Oxford Entrepreneurs who I'm hoping to do a project with, the chocolate society I'm in the process of starting, and, ohh, the 30+ hours a week I need to spend doing university work. Plus I have a social life, and a girlfriend I don't get to spend nearly as much time as I want with.

Let no-one claim I'm not making the most of my time here
        Smile
        For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
        But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          Will, will you have time to study, or will it be a full time internship?
          It's full time, but it's during the Easter holidays, and only for two weeks. I'll still have time to do my holiday work even.
          Smile

Comment

That is short, I'd have thought it would have made more sense to do one over the summer for a bit longer...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by atomant
              Investment banking is a shot load of fun once you earn your stripes. Long lunches, nice wine, invites to all sorts of functions (including private boxes at the cricket, rugby, football etc) big bucks and if you play your cards right, enough time to do the things you want.

Having worked in the field, my advice is work hard, then party hard. The effort will be worth it.

PH - We aren't leeches; in fact, IB's add a lot to the well being of society. You're very quick to judge and get angry.
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                It's full time, but it's during the Easter holidays, and only for two weeks. I'll still have time to do my holiday work even.

Good experience, looks good on the resume, not an overkill time-destroyer, and a less-than-shabby money. What's not to like
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Being a galley slave to teh evil illuminati capitalists?
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                    Being a galley slave to teh evil illuminati capitalists?
                    AFAIK, he doesn't have a problem with capitalists.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well done Drogue - now lend me £20 so I can buy Kotor II.

Comment

That is short, I'd have thought it would have made more sense to do one over the summer for a bit longer...
                        Yes, but they're only for second years. This is about the only first year internship I know of. Besides, most of my summers are booked from now until I graduate
                        Smile

Comment

You're mad, you should chill out a bit more...planning that many summers ahead is insane...
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                            Besides, most of my summers are booked from now until I graduate
                            oh, the spontaneity of youth...

Comment

You never get any decent opportunities if you don't enter before the deadlines. I decided I want to run a project that gives me the opportunity to travel to a developing nation my second year summer. Not really sure where, but it's quite a project.

And you only have two summers at uni, it's not that far ahead.
                              Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

AFAIK, he doesn't have a problem with capitalists.
                                Naw, just get a government job then you get to screw the capitalists back through higher taxes.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X