No announcement yet.

Now that's what I call a job interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do 40 and barely have time for all the stuff I do outside work.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Good news Drogue

Is it a paid internship?
      Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Nicely done Will

Bit of overkill for the chocolate shop though?
        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Paid less? Do you guys measure it in millions or something? IIRC, a million dollars is a pretty normal salary+bonus over here, though it starts at nearer $150k.
          I don't know. Mind you, the $150k isn't for those right out of undergrad. You've got to put in a couple of years as a galley slave first.
          Last edited by DanS; February 11, 2005, 11:57.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bit of an update:

Had the interview, went *fantastically*. They didn't expect us to know anything much concrete, just be interested in it and open to learn. The interview finished about 5 minutes early as she said "The last couple of questions were just about the difference between bonds and equities, but I think you've answered them pretty well alread" - I'd just finished on an argument of the relative risk/return levels of corporate vs. government bonds.

I love people asking me about investment, nobody seems to expect a 20 year old student to have a clue about it

So pretty hopeful of getting to the 3rd stage (assessment centre), though I know it's tough.

Originally posted by Saras
            It VERY depends on which department you end up in. M&A analysts/associates have no life and 16 hour days are the norm. Fixed income/derivatives dudes don't really stay beyond 8 AM, even in GS. I was interned with CEE Equities desk at UBS in 1997, and these guys also leave 7ish-8ish.
            Yeh, the lady said she starts work at 6:30am and usually finishes by 7 ish. Plus she doesn't work weekends.

Originally posted by Verres
            Good news Drogue

Is it a paid internship?
            Thanks I think so. Their summer ones pay ~£550 per week, which is pretty fantastic for an internship. But either way, the experience is worth far more than that.

Originally posted by Whaleboy
            Bit of overkill for the chocolate shop though?
            Nothing's overkill for a chocolate shop

Originally posted by DanS
            I don't know. Mind you, the $150k isn't for those right out of undergrad. You've got to put in a couple of years as a galley slave first.
            Nope, GS starting salary is £40k plus a £40k average bonus. That's about $150k.
            Smile
            For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
            But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

We usually don't count bonus figures in our base salary in the US. After all, bonuses have no guarantee.
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

nice one drogue

a chat with lord butler, bloody hell, you don't get that at swansea
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

In that case bankers here get paid peanuts - bonuses are often 90%+ of your salary. And they have some form of guarentee, a women successfully sued Merrill Lynch (I think) because she took 9 months maternity leave and was not paid her full bonus. Many top IBs only get £100k a year, but have bonuses nearing the million mark.
                  Smile

Comment

This is the way it is in the US, but I have never heard anyone successfully suing over the lack of a bonus (especially if they weren't working).
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It's weird sexual discrimination law. The bonus was deemed a part of her salary, and the removal of that due to Maternity leave is illegal. Not something I agree with, but it seems to be what the courts go for.
                      Smile

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

So pretty hopeful of getting to the 3rd stage (assessment centre), though I know it's tough.
                        Would you work in Fleet Street or do they have some other offices? that one's a nice ofice (judging from meeting rooms & the reception, I bet the galley slaves work on shabby wooden furniture from 1970' ), used to be HQ of a newspaper (can't recall which).
                        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Yep, I think so. Not sure of any other London offices they have
                          Smile

Comment

Congrats

Hope everything will go alright in the next stage too.
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue True, which is why I put 60+. From what I've gathered, 60 hours is a normal week, when nothing "exceptional" happens. Most weeks aren't normal.

But hey, it's an internship, and I've never know anyone to work past 8pm on an internship here. We're expected to work hard, but we have socials organised that mean we can't work that late.
                              Talk about the company effectively having your arse. It's that city lifestyle that never, ever appealed to me, plus the concept of investment banking and it's bastard offspring is not an option I would consider morally either, I consider it to be one of the worst form of parasitisms in modern society.

60 hours is one hell of a week Will. You're young, and although this would see you financially OK, you'll soon find your youth has slipped between your fingers in your corporate slavery. Be warned...

Yeh, it's only 2 weeks. Enough to see if I like it, not too much to burn out. Besides, I work 70+ hours a week at uni anyway, so I doubt it will be much change. Except possible I don't have free time at 2pm and I don't get to work at 2am
                              And do tell, what the hell are you doing all that time? It is a relatively quiet year, you should have loads of time...

Paid less? Do you guys measure it in millions or something? IIRC, a million dollars is a pretty normal salary+bonus over here, though it starts at nearer $150k.

Part of me wants to do it for 5 years just to get enough capital to start my chocolate business, but not sure it's even worth that.
                              It is rather sickening that people who, in my eyes, contribute very little to the wellbeing of society, cream off so much and leach so much talent out of society. Fortunately I am not motivated by greed in that respect (don't get me wrong, I am moderately ambitious, but never like that)
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Will, will you have time to study, or will it be a full time internship?
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X