No announcement yet.

Now that's what I call a job interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that's what I call a job interview!

YAY! I've just found out that Goldman Sachs are coming up to Oxford to interview me tomorrow for a special first year internship at Easter

I know it's only an interview, but they have thousands of applicants and don't interview that many. Of the ~8 of my friends that applied, only two of us are being interviewed and some that haven't are *seriously* good candidates. It's a hell of an opportunity

Strange though, I don't want to go into investment banking. So many of my corporate money-grabbing friends want to that I thought I really should see what it's like before I dismiss it as a career option - far more interested in doing development economics work and I've been offered a post for a charity I work for over the summer. I can't believe the opportunities we're given here, I realise each day how much of a lucky git I am. But still, have a nice smile on my face.

Now to try and plug them for sponsorship
    Smile
    For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
    But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

If you really want to work towards development, better to make powerful and influential buddies, don't you think?
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

You found this out at 1 in the morning? If I were you I'd worry about the hours they'd want you to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
        If you really want to work towards development, better to make powerful and influential buddies, don't you think?
        Very true though I'm don't think I'm doing too badly on that front, having had a chat with Lord Butler about my civil service application

Originally posted by reds4ever
        You found this out at 1 in the morning? If I were you I'd worry about the hours they'd want you to work.
        Oh, I know they work inhuman hours. I just checked my email, it was sent around 7ish. One of the main reasons I wouldn't go for a career there - even with an £80k starting salary, I don't really want to work 60+ hour weeks in stressful conditions.
        Smile

Comment

Awesome.

Internships with the big boys are where it's at.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue

Oh, I know they work inhuman hours. I just checked my email, it was sent around 7ish. One of the main reasons I wouldn't go for a career there - even with an £80k starting salary, I don't really want to work 60+ hour weeks in stressful conditions.
            Dude, 60 hours a week in I-banking is nothing. I almost went into it, and have lots of friends who do it. Seriously high burnout rate and I know very few people who would actually say it's worth the money they pay.

That said, it is a fantastic opportunity, and if it's just a short-term internship, it'll look great on a resume.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Ditto to Kontiki. Inhuman hours is an understatement. I have a friend who works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week as an investment banker. He was in a mutual friend's wedding with me, and couldn't put his Blackberry down during the wedding rehearsal.

He gets some serious cash, and he's a nice guy otherwise, but if he did that in my wedding, I'd kick his ass.

One of my friends did some time in London, and they tend to do one or two less hours than the folks in New York, but they also get paid less.
              Last edited by DanS; February 10, 2005, 23:17.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Ditto to Kontiki. Serious hours is an understatement. I have a friend who works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week as an investment banker. He was in a mutual friend's wedding with me, and couldn't put his Blackberry down during the wedding rehearsal.

He gets some serious cash, and he's a nice guy otherwise, but if he did that in my wedding, I'd kick his ass.

One of my friends did some time in London, and they tend to do one or two less hours than the folks in New York, but they also get paid a less.
                Drogue, it comes to something when a *YANK* is telling you the hours are too long.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  Dude, 60 hours a week in I-banking is nothing. I almost went into it, and have lots of friends who do it. Seriously high burnout rate and I know very few people who would actually say it's worth the money they pay.
                  True, which is why I put 60+. From what I've gathered, 60 hours is a normal week, when nothing "exceptional" happens. Most weeks aren't normal.

But hey, it's an internship, and I've never know anyone to work past 8pm on an internship here. We're expected to work hard, but we have socials organised that mean we can't work that late.

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  That said, it is a fantastic opportunity, and if it's just a short-term internship, it'll look great on a resume.
                  Yeh, it's only 2 weeks. Enough to see if I like it, not too much to burn out. Besides, I work 70+ hours a week at uni anyway, so I doubt it will be much change. Except possible I don't have free time at 2pm and I don't get to work at 2am

Ditto to Kontiki. Inhuman hours is an understatement. I have a friend who works 16 hours a day, 7 days a week as an investment banker. He was in a mutual friend's wedding with me, and couldn't put his Blackberry down during the wedding rehearsal.

One of my friends did some time in London, and they tend to do one or two less hours than the folks in New York, but they also get paid less.
                  Paid less? Do you guys measure it in millions or something? IIRC, a million dollars is a pretty normal salary+bonus over here, though it starts at nearer $150k.

Part of me wants to do it for 5 years just to get enough capital to start my chocolate business, but not sure it's even worth that.
                  Smile

Comment

While not always true, to be real successful you're going to have to put in considerable hours regardless of your chosen field. And if you're starting your own business it's even worse.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                      Part of me wants to do it for 5 years just to get enough capital to start my chocolate business, but not sure it's even worth that.
                      Now you're thinking... working hard for 5 years while you are just starting off so you can set yourself up for life is a good game plan
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Personally, I'm more impressed with MRT144' latest job interview.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It VERY depends on which department you end up in. M&A analysts/associates have no life and 16 hour days are the norm. Fixed income/derivatives dudes don't really stay beyond 8 AM, even in GS. I was interned with CEE Equities desk at UBS in 1997, and these guys also leave 7ish-8ish.
                          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I don't care how much you make, 60 hour minimum weeks is just insane. I'd rather just be comfortable and have time to enjoy life.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                              I don't care how much you make, 60 hour minimum weeks is just insane. I'd rather just be comfortable and have time to enjoy life.
                              I put in a bit more, and still enjoy life. 80 or 120 is another matter.
                              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                              X