End of an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an era

NASA plans to decomission the Hubble telescope.

The Hubble Space Telescope and a mission to explore Jupiter's moons look to be the biggest casualties in Nasa's 2006 budget plans outlined on Monday.

Under the proposals, a mission to service Hubble would be scrapped and the observatory brought back to earth.

Nasa's total budget would rise 2.4% over 2005 to about $16.5bn (£9bn), but only $93m would be spent on Hubble.

About $75m (£40m) of that would be used to develop a robot mission to steer it into the ocean at the end of its life.

The US space agency (Nasa) has fared better than many government agencies in President George Bush's 2006 budget request.

But the White House is not seeking as much money for the space agency as had previously been planned - and that is bad news for Hubble.
    The Beeb

That's bad news, and they don't have any replacement for it.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Why doesn't someone else pony up the dough?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Like Canada.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If it's so valuable, why don't we?

Better than half the stuff we end up spending money on anyways.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          If it's so valuable, why don't we?

Better than half the stuff we end up spending money on anyways.
          Like excempting churches from taxes.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Like excempting churches from taxes.
            How is that spending money on churches?

I didn't know you equated tax cuts with government spending.

Comment

seriously though, why couldn't other countries help save it until the next model comes out?

Comment

This is the cut I have the least problem with.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Well, if its breaking down again... It's probably a good idea to go ahead and take it down and save repair money. I guess...

Perhaps we couldnt learn much more than we already know with the current Telescope? Since "neccesity is the mother of invention" maybe this will turn out to be a good thing?
                  Apolyton Empress
                  "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

Give us a break, it's not terribly hard to come to the conclusion that revenues would be higher if religious organizations were taxed like the other ones.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

ahh but in taxing churches.. where is the seperation of church and state
                      Apolyton Empress
                      "Tongue tied and twisted, just and earth bound misfit..."

"Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative" --found on a bathroom wall

Comment

Lost revenue from things that should be taxed is no different than spending it on useless things.

ahh but in taxing churches.. where is the seperation of church and state
                        I hope this is a joke.

Comment

Errr... there's a banana smiley to nurture your hopes, in case you didn't notice...
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                          X