44% of USians think Christ Will Be Back in 50 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44% of USians think Christ Will Be Back in 50 years

According to author Sam Harris, whom I just saw speak on C-SPAN2, 22% of Americans believe that Christ will definately be back within 50 years, and another 22% believe he will probably be back in the next fifty years.

Do you realize the policy implications of this? There's no reason to plan for the future, cuz there isn't going to be one. We don't need social security because God will provide in the new millenium. We don't need to protect the environment, because God will provide. We don't need to worry about racking up an unpayable debt, cuz it won't need to be repaid!

Christians are destroying America!

edit: spelling fixes
    Last edited by chequita guevara; February 6, 2005, 14:38.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Bah, nobody will care when he returns.
      Blah

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bah, nobody will care when he returns.

They'll put him into an asylum.

I'm reminded of the part in Out of the Mouth of the Dragon where they, instead of rebuilding their city, they use all their resources to build a huge cathedral instead. The funny thing is that this happens post the Apocalypse, so I probably have my associations messed up.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Blah

Comment

Morons. It'll be 10 years, tops.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

At least 12% of the people in this thread think "USians" sounds stupid.

"I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Harris doesn't have nice things to say about Islam, either. He made the comment, that if economic and political exploitation and repression where the sole explanation for suicide bombings and other forms of terrorism, why don't we see Tibettan Buhdists blowing themselves up in China (though he's unlikely aware of the CIA sponsored Tibetan "guerillas" who do some rather nasty things in the late 50s and early 60s). He made the comment that if we compared it to Jainism, for example, the more fundimetnalist a Jainist gets, the less dangerous he is to others, since their philosphy is one of extreme non-violence.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Re: 44% of USians think Christ Will Be Back in 50 years

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Do you realize the policy implications of this? There's no reason to plan for the future, cuz there isn't going to be one. We don't need social security because God will provide in the new millenium. We don't need to protect the environment, because God will provide. We don't need to worry about racking up an unpayable debt, cuz it won't need to be repaid!
                    Last semester I worked for the Massachusetts Public Research Interest Group, a grassroots environmental organization. We did that annoying stuff where we go up to random people on the street, tell them about environmental problems, and ask for money (yeah, I had it for about a week before I realized it was too annoying even for me.)

I went up to this one woman (really attractive, btw) and said my usual "Can I talk to you for a moment about the environment". She just smiles and responds that she didn't need to worry about the environment. She was a Jehovah's Witness, and gladly told me that God was going to take care of everything.

What can you say to that?...well, probably a lot, but I was working...
                    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Edan
                      At least 12% of the people in this thread think "USians" sounds stupid.
                      I try to keep threat titles as short as possible.

Comment

Edan broke the order of this thread by not posting four "scared" smilies
                        Blah

Comment

What's wrong with americans.

How can they not see a difference between Jesus Christ and David Koresh.

If anything, Jesus already reappeared in the form of David Koresh 10 years ago. They missed it.

Yes my point is the goverment, and most people would treat a christ like figure like a criminal and a whacko. And He will face the same fate as David Koresh (and Jesus Christ for that matter)

Comment

Sam Harris (on the left) looks like Ben Stiller (on the right).

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                              Looks like Ben Stiller.
                              More like Mr. Morden on Bab 5.

Comment

Working...
                              X