Doing a research paper on mysticism, looking for resources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing a research paper on mysticism, looking for resources

I'm doing a research paper on mysticism. I need internet access the writings of mystics of all religions. I type in mysticism or mystic writings on the search engine and I don't get much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And, I want to quote the Upanishads and the Bhagavad-Gita for descriptions of mystical experiences (what the Hindus would call finding the Brahman within oneself), but they are kind long to read all the way through, and I'm lazy. Are there any places that I should look for in those works in particular?
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Julian of Norwich, Thomas Traherne, The Cloud of Unknowing, Plotinus, etc.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Check out stuff on Sufism. That's pretty intense. Good luck if you do Kabbalah, though - it's hard to seperate the genuine from the new-age baloney.
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

The Zohar.

I read a bit of that as an undergrad. It is heavy going though.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Check out stuff on Sufism. That's pretty intense. Good luck if you do Kabbalah, though - it's hard to seperate the genuine from the new-age baloney.
          Yeah, I find the Sufis fascinating. My paper will be a little more broad though. It is the junior thesis-at my school they require juniors to write a collegiate level research paper. It is only is required to be 5-7 pages though, but I'm shooting for over 10. I have it narrowed down to two topics. The first is I could do is compare the descriptions and interpretations of spiritual experiences of mystics of all the different religions.

But now I am thinking I should compare the mystics themselves. There are striking parallels between the mystics of different religions. They all tend to find beauty in all things and are almost quasi-pantheistic. The Sufis, for example, see all things as God behind a veil of some sort. Their image of God also isn't the personal one either, so they tend to have a greater understanding of religion and spirituality, and they aren't affected by cultural biases. They tend to be more tolerant of other religions, even embracing them. They tend to be very peaceful, too. The experience always involves transcending the self which leads them to understand that there is something greater than the self. They tend to identify with the world rather than the self, so they tend to be selfless and learn to be very accepting of what comes in life.

The first seems a little too narrow, the second a little too broad, and this is the first time I've written a research paper like this. So it is very important that I chose a good topic.

I don't want to have to sift through hundreds of pages of reading, either. If I can get a few simple descriptions of spiritual experiences than I'll be in business.
          "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

JSTOR.org

You need a subscription, but if you find some articles you like, maybe someone here (like me) with a subscription can download them for you.

Comment

Thich Nhat Hanh:

A Buddhist Monk from Vietnam who also understands Christian Mysticism and the parallels and crossovers between Chritisianity and Buddism.

GOLDEN

Living Buddha, Living Christ is an excellent book
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                Thich Nhat Hanh:

A Buddhist Monk from Vietnam who also understands Christian Mysticism and the parallels and crossovers between Chritisianity and Buddism.

GOLDEN

Living Buddha, Living Christ is an excellent book
                One of my Professors studied under him...

Comment

whoah!

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

[philosophy redneck]That's all woofter mysticism. [/philosophy redneck]

Plotinus!!!
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I worked with a fair number of sufis while over seas. Those guys would intentionally stab themselves in order to show how brave and disaplined they were.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

johncmcleod - always remember. Take control of the input, and you will master the output.

/yang
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

For christian Mysticism google for Meister Eckhart,
                          a medieval Theologist who published some great works in this field
                          (and was afterwards condemned by the catholic church for doing so, as he saw faith as something personal which didn´t need a clerical hierarchy, something which was, of course, seen as dangerous for a hierarchical structured organization like the church )

Here´s a good resource on him (with his works in german, though [only natural as it was his mother language])

Works of Meister Eckhart, study material, on-line resources
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

John Mcleod:

This is not really something I've spent much time studying. I'd look up, for Christian mysticism, things about the Charismatics, since that should cover plenty of things you will be looking for.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: Doing a research paper on mysticism, looking for resources

Originally posted by johncmcleod
                              I'm doing a research paper on mysticism. I need internet access the writings of mystics of all religions. I type in mysticism or mystic writings on the search engine and I don't get much. Does anyone have any suggestions?

And, I want to quote the Upanishads and the Bhagavad-Gita for descriptions of mystical experiences (what the Hindus would call finding the Brahman within oneself), but they are kind long to read all the way through, and I'm lazy. Are there any places that I should look for in those works in particular?
                              I'd suggest that you go to the library and see if they have anything by the Qawwali musicians of Iran, Pakistan or India. Or the Gnaoua musicians of Morocco.

If you listen to their music (even though you may not read or understand Farsi, Urdu or Arabic) I think you'll get an intuition for what mysticism is partly about- the altered states of consciousness part, anyway.

I prefer the feeling induced by the music to fasting, mortification of the body or non-stop dancing anyway.

You might find Dame Julian of Norwich and Abbess Hildegard of Bingen helpful too- especially as Hildegard combines ecstatic visions in painting with stunning music.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X