No announcement yet.

1/2 U.S. personal bankruptcies from medical bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not that medecine is the most intellectually challenging profession in the world. Not by a long shot...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Actually that depends on whether or not there was a job for you, and whether or not anyone would give you the job.
      Want to bet what the unemployment rate is for people who have passed the bar exam? For people with PhDs in physics it's under 1%.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I never was interested in health care. I don't like to touch other people's bodies, unless they are hot women.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Want to bet what the unemployment rate is for people who have passed the bar exam? For people with PhDs in physics it's under 1%.
          Flubber doesn't have a PhD in physics, and whether or not he's capable of getting one is in question.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• And your point is?

It's not that difficult to find a field where you will make a very decent living if you're among the top 10% in intelligence. It's almost hard not to.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Not that medecine is the most intellectually challenging profession in the world. Not by a long shot...

I just realised that I spelled it medecine.

Holdover from always talking about medical things in French with my gf.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Flubber doesn't have a PhD in physics, and whether or not he's capable of getting one is in question.

Nope but the point is that the right degrees can almost guarantee good employment. As for my academic abilities, I don't think they were ever in question but I have no doubt I could have gotten a PhD in physics if I had chosen that path. Instead I picked something else.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• physics is easy, I'm certain Flubber could of gotten a PhD in it.

Healthcare is a tricky subject, as ppl are more willing to pay for something when they are in pain. It's kind of like the old saying; why are divorces so expensive? because they're worth it... only with healthcare instead of divorce. You get what I'm saying.

Not that medecine is the most intellectually challenging profession in the world. Not by a long shot...
                  That depends. If it were easy we'd have a cure for cancer by now wouldn't we?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Actually that depends on whether or not there was a job for you, and whether or not anyone would give you the job.
                    Nobody held a special reserved job all for me. I competed and actually chose between competing job offers. I have now held 5 law jobs and usually it was my choice to leave one for another.

But its not a matter of finding someone to "give you " a job like its a favor or something. Instead I made a choice of a field with a low unemployment rate and was confident in my ability to perform at a level that finding employment wasn't a big issue.

Kid it seems your attitude is almost always passive. In most cases people go out and GET jobs, they are not given.

This seems to permeate your writing . . . The capitalist just has or was given his capital. You can't have any sense that he might have worked his ass off to earn and accumulate that capital to get in the way of your outrage of how unfairly the world treats the workers
                    Last edited by Flubber; February 3, 2005, 17:22.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                      but I have no doubt I could have gotten a PhD in physics if I had chosen that path
                      It depends. There are a lot of people who can't. Including people who get a bachelor's degree in physics.

It's not an easy subject.

There are obviously less challenging subdisciplines in it, but even they require passing courses which I have no fear of saying that 99% of the general public would not pass and would never be able to pass.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Wow, KH, you must have the biggest d!ck in the world.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                          physics is easy

Sure...

I'm naturally better at it than almost anybody I know, but it gets to be very nontrivial very rapidly at a certain level.

That depends. If it were easy we'd have a cure for cancer by now wouldn't we?
                          Let me put it this way: I have absolute confidence in the ability of any doctorate in physics being able to understand anything any physician, biologist or biochemist does with a minimum of background reading. The reverse is simply not true...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                            Wow, KH, you must have the biggest d!ck in the world.
                            Nope. I have a little dick. I make up for it with intellectual vanity.

And I'm being pretty serious here. Physics is full of ****ing smart people. I wish it weren't true. Would make my life easier.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                              Kid it sees your attitude is almost always passive. In most cases people go out and GET jobs, they are not given.
                              I agree. And I think a lot of it has to do with his own life (which I don't know anything about, but which I get the sense has been frustrating for him).
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• None of the people with physics degrees who I know are stupid. Maybe arrogant *******s, but not stupid by any means. I'd have to agree with KH.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X