No announcement yet.

1/2 U.S. personal bankruptcies from medical bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even the stupid people are ****ing smart. It's awful. Hard to coast.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Arrogance or realism?

I'll leave it to you to decide...

Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I wouldn't doubt anything KH says - I'm just amused by the aside that seems to serve no other purpose than to brag about how smart he is.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• children . . .
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Wouldn't you think that health care costs should go down as the baby boomers enter it? Whatever happen to volume reducing costs? It's not like there's a lack of overpaid doctors or anything.!

HMOs tried, but they ended up being pain in the ass more than any real benefit.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
              I wouldn't doubt anything KH says - I'm just amused by the aside that seems to serve no other purpose than to brag about how smart he is.
              Nope. I have a little dick. I make up for it with intellectual vanity.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Japher
                Wouldn't you think that health care costs should go down as the baby boomers enter it? Whatever happen to volume reducing costs? It's not like there's a lack of overpaid doctors or anything.!

HMOs tried, but they ended up being pain in the ass more than any real benefit.
                HMOs actually held down the rate of increase of medical spending to a reasonable level for ~7 years. They appear to have found what efficiencies were available, though. Over the last couple of years the cost of medicine in the US has returned to its catastrophic increase (~8% per annum IIRC)
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Medical costs in the US were always high, but are now reaching disaster levels. Adequate medical care is quickly being priced out of the reach of more and more people.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Let me put it this way: I have absolute confidence in the ability of any doctorate in physics being able to understand anything any physician, biologist or biochemist does with a minimum of background reading. The reverse is simply not true...
                    In certain fields of Biology
                    this "minimum in background reading" would keep you busy for a very long time

Especially in fields like Neurobiology
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I agree. And I think a lot of it has to do with his own life (which I don't know anything about, but which I get the sense has been frustrating for him).
                      True although he hasn't been detailed on the point, he has talked about some misfortunes in the labor market and is back in school.

I can understand frustration with the job market but my experience has been that if you have a hard time finding a job, you need to treat finding a job as your job. Anyone I know that has that dedication will find something good pretty quick
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Nobody commented on the Canadian insurance rates-- I actually thought they were very reasonable for most specialties. Heck a lawyer can pay several thousands in insurance so something like 5K for a doc doesn't strike me as being out of sorts at all
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Let me put it this way: I have absolute confidence in the ability of any doctorate in physics being able to understand anything any physician, biologist or biochemist does with a minimum of background reading. The reverse is simply not true...
                          But that is a function of the very specialized nature of the field rather than any measurement of intelligence.

I didn't mean to get into a discussion about physics . . . It may be unreasonable confidence or misplaced optimism but I pretty much think that I could succeed at pretty much any academic program ( I think you would find that attitude prevalent here given the poll where something like 20% of the posters thought they were the smartest person on this board-- I make no claim on the title LOL)

Comment

And your point is?
                            You couldn't get the point if you were stuck with it.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

You couldn't get the point if you were stuck with it.
                              Kid but 95% of people that respond to you fail to see what the point is . . .

Now perhaps you are just so much smarter than everyone else that they just don't get your brilliance but I would look to other explainations

Comment

• Oh and kid I decided to read up a bit so I picked up a book entitled " A short history of communism" -- It promises to give an analysis and comparison of the communist experience in a number of different countries. I think it will be enlightening and will share once I finish my current book on India

Comment

Working...
                                X