1/2 U.S. personal bankruptcies from medical bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Which is why malpractice rates, not pain and suffering, should be capped. It's not the awards that are crippling our medical system, it's the prices that a captive market has to pay.

Capping rates without limiting payouts would probably make providing such insurance uneconomic . . . so if private industry does not provide it, are you proposing a government run (possibly subsidized) malpractice system?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Then they should be intelligent enough to find another job.
      That qualifies as one of the least intelligent things I've heard.

edit: Actually it's not even close, but I like to give you a hard time.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

Capping rates without limiting payouts would probably make providing such insurance uneconomic . . . so if private industry does not provide it, are you proposing a government run (possibly subsidized) malpractice system?
        How does the system work in Canada regarding malpractice? I can't remember...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

There are a lot of intelligent people in other professions where their intelligence isn't really required for the job.
          yes and perhaps they are intelligent enough to stay there . Some people want careers that stretch their intellect. Others seek a low-stress situation where they can relax. Many people have motivators other than money. ( This is obvious every time that Mrs Flubber refuses an overtime shift when there are no impediments to working it)

To me it depends on what the person wants. . . If a person that is truly very intelligent wants a job paying very well, that is what they will end up having since a truly intelligent person will figure out a way to make it happen ( note that this is the general case -- I accept that some people will face misfortune that can prevent them from attaining what their ability would otherwise allow them to do
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• It doesn't just depend on what a person wants. What other people want matters too.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

How does the system work in Canada regarding malpractice? I can't remember...
              The CMPA for doctors while government either self-insures or purchases insurance for all the other workers ( nurses, techs etc).

The reality is that when a Canadian surgeon operates, their liability extends only to the things that they themselves do or are responsible for. So drug mixups or a nursing snaffu would place liability on the hospital corporation ( the government) if the doctor could not have prevented the problem.

The CMPA ( Canadian Medical protective Association) "insures" most doctors but it is actually a not for profit organization that represents physicians across Canada with respect to a number of issues. As a physician organization they have an interest in discouraging frivolous claims and I believe they have a reputation in the legal community as an organization that will NEVER pay out unless there is a solid claim.

Fees for membership vary by region but a quick look at their fee schedule shows fees like an insurance premium (plus a few hundred bucks for other costs of running the organization)

Obstetrics --Ontario 86K annually
              Intensive care Ontario-- less than 5 K annually
              Cardiac Surgery (ont)--21.5 K
              Cardiac Surgery (Que)--9.4K
              Cardiac Surgery (other--9.3 K

Emergency Medicine Ont- 9K
              Emergency Medicine Que-4.5K
              Emergency Medicine other-4.4K

Obviously there is a large insurance component and I didn't see why Ontario is so much higher.

Family medicine is less than 5K a year as long as you stay away from obstetrics

Source:http://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/portal/pub_i..._REDUCE&LANG=E
              Last edited by Flubber; February 3, 2005, 14:17.

Comment

It doesn't just depend on what a person wants. What other people want matters too.

Not to the issue of whether a person gets a high paying job or not. Other people only matter to the extent they change what the person wants.

If a person says thay cannot earn more money because they have to take care of their son . The response is no , thats a choice ( and one I respect btw) but a choice nontheless.

There's nobody out there that could prevent me from going to law school and getting a good job. People I care about could influence me and change what I want but thats different than preventing me. Even someone that fires you is just an obstacle. Why ?? because there are lots of jobs out there that pay well.

Note-- I am not saying everyone can become a multi-millionare or anything. But jobs that provide a good ( what 60 K) to very good (80K) to a very very good ( 100K+), while not commonplace, are not exactly rare either. The very brightest folks will get to those jobs if that is one of their priorities
                Last edited by Flubber; February 3, 2005, 14:42.

Comment

• As an aside, the blurb after my last post was " the longer the title, the less important the job"

I recently ran into an old acquaintance who was the

Associate Assistant Deputy Minister for policy development

Comment

That would probably be superior to what we have now.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That qualifies as one of the least intelligent things I've heard.

edit: Actually it's not even close, but I like to give you a hard time.
                      Kid, you couldn't give me a hard time if you tried.

My point remains.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It doesn't just depend on what a person wants. What other people want matters too.
                        Stop whining, dude...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Do you really think that awarding someone 2 million dollars versus awarding them 25 million dollars really makes that big of a difference besides putting a financial strain on people who have nothing to do with the case in question?

Che already answered part of this. However, to reiterate, the limits aren't $2 million (and after appeals VERY FEW people recieve awards of that amount). They are closer to $250,000. And the caps haven't prevented insurance premiums from rising. Legislation specifically targetting insurance premiums have, however.

Also capping damages prevents people with legitimate claims from getting relief. Because of all the work required for a malpractice claim (expert testimony, collecting evidence, appeals), it isn't worth a lawyer's time if the award will be under $1 million. The lawyer will LOSE money on a malpractice case if it is less than that.

Actually, IIRC, Kerry had a plan where the government would subsidize the catastrophic awards (above a certain limit and the government would come in).
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Kid, you couldn't give me a hard time if you tried.

My point remains.
                            Well, what does intelligence have to do with job preference anyway.

Comment

There's nobody out there that could prevent me from going to law school and getting a good job.
                              Actually that depends on whether or not there was a job for you, and whether or not anyone would give you the job.

Comment

• That most intelligent people prefer jobs where they won't be bored.

If an intelligent person wants to remain in an unchallenging job then bully for them.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X