1/2 U.S. personal bankruptcies from medical bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Flubber

Kid but 95% of people that respond to you fail to see what the point is . . .

Now perhaps you are just so much smarter than everyone else that they just don't get your brilliance but I would look to other explainations
    Actually I was thinking about that. It seems to me from experience that only certain types of people come to poly. You are clumped in with a bunch that seems bent on absurdities. This group is actually at least half of the people here. When I was a right winger I would never have said some of the ridiculous things that people say here.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• And here I was thinking intelligent wasn't synonymous with industrious.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        I can handle anti-Communist. Pipes has a short book on the history of Communism that isn't as bad as what I read so far. I disagree with Pipes, but I don't find him distorting the facts.
        Ya, Pipes is biased but the man definately has a brain.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Howard Jarvis' and the anti-property-tax movement got Proposition 13 passed in 1978, IIRC. Looks like cause and effect to me...
          Agreed.

I think the propositions in general are very counterproductive.

The Vincent Thomas Bridge just got cool new blue lights though!
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            That most intelligent people prefer jobs where they won't be bored.

If an intelligent person wants to remain in an unchallenging job then bully for them.
            Where is it written that challenging jobs pay the most? And isn't level of challenge subjective?

I'm naturally better at it than almost anybody I know
            Remember, men in however high a station ought to fear the humble - not the other way around...

Comment

• Well, I am not intimate with the US or Canadian medical systems, though I can throw in my two cents.

Firstly, doctors generally charge obscene rates for a lot of their handiwork. Obscene bordering on immoral, considering the profession they chose. If you're in it for the money, please do yourself a favour, and quit medical school yesterday.

Secondly, supplies. Particularly medicines, medical supplies have ridiculous costs slapped onto them. Down here, the difference between getting a "laboratory" medicine and a "generic" medicine can mean an 75%-80% (upto 80%!) difference in price! 80% of the cost of producing medicine is going into the bloody patents for chrissake in a lot of cases!

I don't know the particular vissicitudes of the US or Canadian system regarding doctor malpractice insurance, et cetera, et cetera.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

. It seems to me from experience that only certain types of people come to poly. You are clumped in with a bunch that seems bent on absurdities. This group is actually at least half of the people here.
                I think the cross section on here is somewhat representative of the range in society. So more than half are not absurd but the majority.

It does not suprise me that you find the majority absurd since it appears the majority finds you absurd. . I find it interesting that I am absurd for advocating essentially what is the current social democracy in Canada.

Originally posted by Kidicious

. When I was a right winger I would never have said some of the ridiculous things that people say here.

I agree that there are ridiculous right wing statements from my point of view but equally I find ridiculous left wing statements. I find myself very much in the centre of the political spectrum here usually but I am an issue by issue guy
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                  I find it interesting that I am absurd for advocating essentially what is the current social democracy in Canada.
                  I'm not talking about the policies you advocate. I'm talking about the claims that you make when you argue for them, like saying that anyone can do anything, and if someone finds them in disadvantaged situations it's always their fault. I used to beleive something like that, but you seem to be a little bit far out, but you aren't alone by any means.

I think it has something to do with computer games, but it's just a thought.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• It does not suprise me that you find the majority absurd since it appears the majority finds you absurd.

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

I'm talking about the claims that you make when you argue for them, like saying that anyone can do anything, and if someone finds them in disadvantaged situations it's always their fault. .
                      Err I have NEVER said anything of the like. I always talk or intend to talk about MOST PEOPLE. Almost nothing applies to everyone or applies "always" if we are talking about individual opportunity or circumstances. Sorry but it gets tedious to have to add the qualifier to EVERY sentence.

So no anyone can't do anything. But people with skill or drive can get ahead (barring catastrophe). yes things can happen that can prevent a given individual from getting ahead but on average this ability exists

I have a cousin that is unemployed and on welfare-- Misfortune ?? Nope he dropped out of university at age 19 to move in with a girl, quickly got married and intentionally and with planning has now had 3 children (well the twins were a shock). They seem to be dirt poor and are living on government assistance. Both are able bodied and bright enough to get into a degree granting university. Yet there they are at age 22 on welfare. Who's "fault" is their situation?

The point of this rant. ?? Lots of folks are not victims of misfortune but of their own conscious choices. I grew up in newfoundland where welfare is a way of life for many-- I have seen it hundreds of times LITERALLY. People that work hard got ahead and others sat back and complained about the government. It is an area with close to 20% unemployment.

When you write, I envision a society which is an even bigger welfare society with all the problems and abuises that come with that. Now the biggest incentive to get off the dole is that you can attain a "better way of life". Take away the incentive and I fear what happens. They call it the "welfare trap" for a reason.

Another anecdote . . The office assistant at my first job was a wonderful woman of about age 50. She and her husband worked lower paid jobs and lived in a poorer neighborhood. She related to me that on many summer evenings when she and her husband were walking home, their similarly aged neighbor (ablebodied but on welfare) would give them a nod from his patio, and tip his beer to them, take an appreciative swig and call out "thanks taxpayer". It peeved her but her son went to college and got a good job.

The point of yet another anecdote? Your theories ( or mine for that matter), if implemented have impacts on lots of individuals like these.
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                      X