No announcement yet.

Scalia commends foolish Christians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wise wouldn't give a damn what Christians believed if they just minded their own business and didn't have this habit of turning their immoral "religious" beliefs into laws for the rest of us to obey.
    So if all Christians kept their faith in the closet, everything would go smoothly?

I saw a UFO and I have nothing to gain, therefore believe me in the name of rationality.
    Given the absence of further evidence, one would have to accept the testimony of the eyewitness that she saw something. Just because it's a UFO, doesn't make it full of aliens.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ben -
      So if all Christians kept their faith in the closet, everything would go smoothly?
      Out of my house and my life will do... Is there leeway between this closet y'all hang out in and hiring mercernaries with our money to order us around in the name of Jeee-SuSsss?

Given the absence of further evidence, one would have to accept the testimony of the eyewitness that she saw something. Just because it's a UFO, doesn't make it full of aliens.
      Is it full of God?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

As for it being foolish, no more foolish than believing Mary to be a virgin.
        Of course, because undocumented virgin births happen all the time.

Then again, I have no reason for not considering Mary Tyler Moore or Mary J. Blige virgins, because I've never taken a great interest in their private lives.

Or do you mean contrary Mary with the garden?
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Popes aren't fallible, and haven't been for quite a while. That's why JPII cannot step down - you can't have 2 infallible people at the same time.

... anyway, its time for liberals in the US to have an armed insurrection of their own... The world awaits.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
            Popes aren't fallible, and haven't been for quite a while. That's why JPII cannot step down - you can't have 2 infallible people at the same time.
            Only a little over 100 years.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              He's speaking to the Knights, Boris. He specifically says that Catholics ought to follow the pope, because they believe certain things about the authority invested in him by Christ.
              And that belief is foolish, especially since it has no grounds in scripture.

"Follow religiously"

I don't think Scalia here means what you are taking this to mean. Does it mean to follow his instructions without question?
              When people talk about following something "religiously," it is usually meant with complete, unquestioning devotion. That's certainly the context when referring to religious devotion to god.

As Uncle Sparky pointed out, official Catholic doctrine is that the pope is infallible. So it makes no sense for Scalia to be urging Catholics to be follow the pope "religiously" yet believing they can consider him fallible. If you adhere "religiously" to the doctrine of Catholicism, you must believe the pope is infallible.

As for it being foolish, no more foolish than believing Mary to be a virgin.
              Well, I certainly think that's foolish.

But you're wrong, it's a specious comparison. Believing that Mary is a virgin doesn't impact one's own moral behavior. Believing the pope is infallible means one has to follow his edicts, which concern proper moral behavior. That's a big difference.

A much better question would be to ask whether Christians as a whole ought to follow the pope, and not just Catholics.
              If it's alright for Christians as a whole not to follow the pope, then any argument for the infallibility of the pope is rendered null and void. Either the pope is the infallible "vicar of Christ" or he isn't. If he is, not following him is wrong.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Scalia commends foolish Christians

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                Spoken like someone who doesn't know anything of the opinions the man has written over the years.
                So enlighten us then...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

we've been doing this for too long
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Oh wow - this is just before my conversion! It reads like yesterday.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I don't know if Sava missed his meds or doubled up on them.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

also lolz
                        Scalia, a member of the Supreme Court since 1986, is considered a potential replacement for chief justice William Rehnquist when he retires the bench.
                        in his ****ing dreams

cranky ****ing troll bastard
                        disgrace to the court also
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                          I don't know if Sava missed his meds or doubled up on them.
                          hey texas
                          **** YUOU

AND GOOGLE DONT TELL ME HOW TO ****ING SPELL YOSESEMET SAM

****ING ASSCLOWN
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

And here I was hoping some old posters like Drosedar, Aggie, Urban Ranger, and St Leo came back.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

ur took over in nk when his daddy died
                              he aint got time for this
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X