No announcement yet.

Nuevo Proyecto Civ II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'azz... Again that **************** problem...
    Attached Files
    "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
    "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
    "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Ok now goes better...
      Attached Files
      "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
      "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig

Comment

Who wrote the book? It seems to me like a short version of my main source, Robert H. Barlow's "The Extent of the Culhua-Mexica Empire". By the way, a good link about this:

Mexica Empire Project
        II. 193 And fight them until there is no more tumult and oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.

Comment

Jacques Soustelle, The Aztecs.

The book you mentioned is amongst the sources. Nevermind, then.

Comment

About Tamoanchan: Isn't it said that Tamoanchan lies at Cihuatlampa (in the west, just to confuse us all three even more). At least Alcina Franch claims this...

edit: forgot the m in cihuatlampa
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Well, it does sound like a Huaxtec name. Compare:
              Tamuin, Tanlajas, Tampaon, Tancolol, Tancahuitz. In fact, I have heard that Tamoanchan was the Huaxtec name for the region around modern Ciudad Valles...
              II. 193 And fight them until there is no more tumult and oppression, and there prevail justice and faith in Allah; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression.

Comment

Or maybe it's just the place where our our "souls" are born...
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Actually, you are probably onto something. Some references to Tamoanchán may be geographical and others mythological, as happens with Chicomoztoc or Aztlán. The Nahuas had this annoying habit of naming goegraphical places after mythological ones.

Another example is Mictlan (now Mitla) in Oaxaca. You don't have to be dead to visit.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, this seems to be a general specific of all mesoamerican cultures. The journey to the Quiché-Mayan underworld Xibalba in the Popol Vuh is good mapable on the Yucatec landscape. Mythology and real geography merge into one. One could argue that Teotihuacán and Tamoanchàn are the same places too, for both are considered to be the original places, where the Gods come from.

Comment

Very true. In fact, I recently visited an exhibit in the national museum of anthropology in Mexico about the Huicholes. (It is a wonderful museum - do you know it?)
                      They live in a world with no conflict of geographical and mythological. A physical rock in the sea near San Blas is the dwelling place of the sea goddess, the desert around Real de 14 is Wirikuta, the paradise on earth.
                      Which brings us back to where we started. Tamoanchán must be a physical place.
                      I don't know about Teotihuacán. Somehow I associate Tamoanchán with water and Quetzalcóatl (my Tamoanchán mental file is rusty), which is why I lean towards the Huaxtec region.

Comment

Tamoanchán like Xochatlalpan is associated with the cosmological "life tree. As Xochatlalpan is regularly identified as identical to Tlalocan, we could also say it's to the south.
                        It's got something to do with Quetzalcóatl but I'm not sure about the exact story. But it would be weird in the mesoamerican cosmos if the place from where the Gods originated were in the east or north.

Comment

And no, I don't know the museum. (Believe it or not, I never physically stayed in Mexico.)

Comment

Indipendent enclaves into Mexica empire.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Great Map, Prom. Especially helpful with northern Tototepec, which I had not been able to find.
                              1. The Tlaxcallans will be represented by a civ of their own. When the Spaniards arrive, this civ will have a little boost... dont' want to give away all the surprises.
                              2. Metztitlan and the northern Tototepec will be one and the same, and owned by the Otomí civ, which will also hold the Matlalzinca (Toluca) valley at the beginning).
                              3. Southern Tototepec will be easy pickings for the Mixtecos initially. When northern Mixtec cities fall, they will be strengthened in this part of the map.

The Yopitzincas will be all barbarians... With a nasty defense, all-as-road move, and mountainous territory with fortresses.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                                Tamoanchán like Xochatlalpan is associated with the cosmological "life tree. As Xochatlalpan is regularly identified as identical to Tlalocan, we could also say it's to the south.
                                It's got something to do with Quetzalcóatl but I'm not sure about the exact story.
                                Found it! Bernardino de Sahagún (the first civilized Spaniard in Mexico ) says that Quetzalcoatl led the Huaxtecs, who came from the ocean. They landed in the mouths of the Pánuco and settled in Tamoanchan.
                                Ciudad Valles is just inland of the Pánuco, and looks like paradise to me:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X