No announcement yet.

Solar System NES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also altered the map for Veratis 5 to better represent the planet description (I think)

This is fun. (plus, it's good practice with Paint Shop)
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Foolish, if we're hijacking your NES just ask us to stop
      "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
      phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
      three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

no no no, this is all very good.
        but, ah, you might want to send in orders. If no one is sending orders because you're not comfortable with the stat system, general orders are fine, but I need something.

Ludd, "slush" would mean a mixture of liquids and solids, like water (or whatever substance) that is cold enough to freeze, but because of pressure or solutes is still in a semi liquid form. Or a sea with frozen crystals at the top layer, or icebergs, i.e. somewhere between an ice cap or glacier and a liquid ocean.

ALSO,
        Ludd, I linked to your maps in the opening posts. appleciders, I can do the same with your planetary facts if you like.
        Last edited by foolish_icarus; July 3, 2005, 14:50.
        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

I didn't realize that you where ready for orders. I'll go over the spread sheet and info again and try to get some in later today.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Have you made the information for the NPCs yet? Anyways, if people want to tell me where their colonies are located on their planets (and likewise for the NPCs), I can mark it on the maps, so that we can get a sense of where people are relative to one another.

I would also like to make a refinement on my earlier "cities" description. I would like to have only one huge subterranean city to start with that has numerous access points to the surface (which is used primarily for greenhouse farming), and I'll stick with the name Asgard Federation.

I have one other question before going on to my orders; what is the time span of each turn?
            Last edited by General Ludd; July 3, 2005, 16:04.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

The Council of Asgard has met for the annual development meeting and after much discussion has agreed to take on the prpposed construction of a Mechanical Engineering School. The School will surpass the facilities of any similiar institute within the system and is expected to take on a central role in the future development of mechanics and related applications. It will be built far underground in the center of Asgard, and will play a leading roll in the development of future industries and mining operations within the city. Construction of the school is expected to cost 35 points of credit and has a deadline to be completed within the next four years.

In related news, the mining firms have stepped up their operations in anticipation of the boom in industry that the new school is expected to bring.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

NPCs will show up next turn

each turn is 2 earth years.
                Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Originally posted by foolish_icarus
                  NPCs will show up next turn

each turn is 2 earth years.
                  That deadline is going to be hard to meet, then.

But we'll make it. deduct 3 points from the living standard and 2 points from espionage this turn, while resources and attention is funneled into building the new school.

EDIT: And incase I didn't make it clear, all my other spare credits will spent towards the school.
                  Last edited by General Ludd; July 3, 2005, 22:10.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

All hail the emperor! He has commissioned the national bank to pay back 100 credits in it's debt, and has allowed you, the people, to contribute 100 credits to the cause as well! In other news, the army funding was reduced to 14, and the rest of government funding (15.7 credits?) went to improving our energy grid for increased efficiency & research.
                    I changed my signature

Comment

will post orders tomorrow, too much to do
                      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                      Let me eat your yummy brain!
                      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

3 points to launch survey satellites into a pole-to-pole orbit around Uhtunht. These should be used to look for good places to set up nuclear reactors to melt the polar CO2 ice caps, and to generally give more information about Uhtunht, especially about resource deposits.

3 points to build one nuclear reactor at the location identified as the best one to melt polar ice. (If a nuclear reactor would cost way more than 3 points, just draw up plans and start buying supplies. If it would cost slightly more than 3 points, begin construction on it.)

3 points to send a series of unmanned survey probes and satellites to Zheehok.

3 points to increase military modernity.

1 point to improve the tunnel farms of the poor.

Comment

Planetary stats:

Veritas III: Dignity
                          Diameter: 11750
                          Gravity: .97 standard gravity
                          Escape Velocity: 10.6 km/s

Veritas IV: Valour
                          Diameter: 13950
                          Gravity: 1.06 standard gravity
                          Escape Velocity: 12.0 km/s

Veritas V: Honor
                          Diameter: 16050
                          Gravity: 1.21 standard gravity
                          Escape Velocity: 13.8 km/s

Foolish, do you want some atmospheric data, like I did for Uhtunht? I'm leaving orbital periods out intentionally, so that you can just move the planets however much is convenient for your modly needs, and not have to calculate anything. I will generate more data for uninhabited planets and moons later.

Comment

yes, sounds good.
                            Verily, this shalt be updated upon the morrow.

Comment

The Ainar Confederation

The primes (regents) of Ayur, Sidon and Charade (the most important colonies of the Ainar) have come together to decide about the next year´s budgets. At first they reviewed the development of the the three major habdomes during the last five years.

Energy production, while sufficient for survival, is still too lacking to provide leeway for special projects. But there are plans. Many plans. This planet is lashed by dreadful storms many times more powerful than what is recorded in ancient books from earth. Even medium-sized turbines would provide enormous quantities of wind power. The only problem is the lack of a solid basis for those turbines...
                              Then, the large tidal range allows for great efficiencies in running tidal power plants. Again, those would have to be close to the coastline and thus away from most of the habitats.
                              Next in line is hydrogen power. A planet with almost 90% of its surface covered by water and the need for oxygen is an ideal environment for those constructions... The problem here is the scarce know-how about the specifications of such buildings.

So it was decided to put much effort into the development of fully operational hydrogen power plants. The energy needed to decompose the water shall be taken from floating wind turbines on the ocean´s surface. This will be the main focus of spending and construction for the next years, starting off with a budget of 25 credits.

Another neccessity is the population pressure. Food, energy and room is guaranteed for every citizen, putting an enormous strain on the economy. Fortunately the Ainar culture has adapted to several neccessities of a life under water, so most children leave their home dome at the age of sixteen to seek their fortune in other places. This way the gene pool is constantly mixed, preventing inbreeding and building up resistance to most known diseases. Another point is the free choice of the home dome, allowing for a strong feeling of loyality to the colony (which keeps morale at reasonable levels).

We need to build more habdomes, and we will do so soon. But at first the energy cap has to be lifted, so only 10 credits will be spent on expansionist measures. One focus shall be the expansion of existing colonies into the ground, adding more working room for life support and farming while freeing up the upper levels for more living space.

The rest of the ressources shall be used for exploration. We need more natural ressources, especially those that can be harvested with little energy consumption. Small teams of "scientists" (people interested in geology and mechanical engineering) are sent to several promising directions to search the seas for mineral deposits, geothermal activity sites and good places for future colonies.

Miscallaneous

The Ainar don´t call their major moon "Vweetkut", since their language (an artificial one invented to not prefer any culture) doesn´t fit well with that name. Instead, its name is Royaume, while the smaller one is known as Shanee.
                              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                              Let me eat your yummy brain!
                              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Update 1: AD 2497

Asgard Federation
                                The engineers of Asgard blasted out new space to make room for the Mechanical Engineering School, which will train more skilled technicians and inventors and offers a few hi-tech labs for researchers to work in. Funds and labor were requisitioned from other spending sectors in order to keep up with the project’s tight schedule, which caused shortages and decreases of quality in several areas, especially transportation and durable goods. Most citizens are taking this very well, viewing the shortages as temporary sacrifices for an effort which will easily pay itself off. Due to the generous funds made available, the college was actually completed and equipped well ahead of schedule. It has room for more facilities, but presently the level of technical expertise is not high enough to equip it with all the advanced stuff it could theoretically support, a problem the college itself will begin to alleviate. (35 was more funds than are needed for a single college at this point; when your applied technology rating increases enough you may choose to upgrade it further, or allow it to upgrade itself at its own pace.) In addition, investment in heavy manufacturing and mining firms has risen, bolstering the economy despite the small drop in living standards.

Zelnick Empire

The Emperor has paid off a significant portion of the empire’s debt, both through raiding the treasury and increasing taxes tremendously. Although the empire maintains control for now, citizens are almost unanimously opposed to this action, and in private conversation many grumble about “robbing the poor to give to the rich”. Perhaps just as disturbing, this display of state power has reduced business and investor confidence quite a lot, which, combined with the reduced spending power of the citizenry, has stopped all growth in the economy and threatens to drag it down further unless immediate remedial action is taken.

Republic of Uhtuhnt

Satellite survey mission successfully begins mapping Uhtuhnt for surface feature and sub-surface resources. However, most of the funds for the Zheehok survey mission were diverted to the Uhtuhnt satellite flybys, so scientists are for the time being limited to planning for the next moon survey mission.
                                Supplies and logistical support were laid in for the polar nuclear reactor, and construction has begun. Scientists suggest that the ice melting project would prove most efficient and effective if the nuclear reactor were used to fine tune the process, and the bulk of the work were done by orbital reflective mirrors. They do warn that any such efforts, if intended to produce moon-wide results, will require significant long term resources.
                                The brave fighting men and women of the Republic of Uhtuhnt had their fighting vigor effectively increased when the government, with funds matched by a local philanthropist as well as several big name advertising departments, provided their troops with new, more comfortable (and reasonably stylish) pressurized boots.
                                The gov’t also distributed aid to some tunnel farmers in the form of more up-to-date vacuum crop seeds.

Ainar Confederation

Wind turbines and hydrogen refining offer more energy to the habitats, and with the amount of labor needed for their construction and maintenance, no able bodied adult goes without work, and many gain technical experience from the construction efforts.
                                Expansion of existing colonies has been somewhat more slow, as extensive measures have to be taken to ensure present and future safety of the expansions.
                                Scientists tasked with analyzing Dignity’s natural and location resources theorize that the planet probably has extensive hydrocarbon deposits. While only a few have yet been mapped out and even those are not yet fully tapped, these deposits could theoretically provide an even cheaper and more efficient source of energy to the hydrogen refineries than water.

Meet the NPC’s!
                                See their descriptions on the front page, stats in the spreadsheet, then come back here to read about how your rivals are doing…

The Hymbaline Marches and the UFS of Journey are having an active border dispute. What started as a disagreement over the details of a fishing contract escalated into a bizarre series of attempted hits, duels, and embargoes, eventually drawing an entire clan and corporation into violent conflict, and it got worse from there. Now it isn’t an all out war yet, but patrol boats are regularly firing on each other. The bad news for all involved…The disputed area is a stretch of sea and small islands right on the corner of the three powers, so the combatant boats regularly cross Ainar territory, ruining kelp farms. There have even been incidents of civilian boats being boarded and seized. Journey forces typically return the boat to a friendly port and apologize when this happens. When Hymbaliners accidentally seize a neutral craft, they typically return the boat to a friendly port…minus anything of value on the ship, and send the owners a witty and noncommittal IOU.

In the Pueblo Union, things get worse. The Highland republic has attempted to push their businesses into Pueblo and take advantage of shortages to reap outrageous profits, but the local cartels are fighting back with embargoes, quarantines, and in some cases violence. This is not helping the locals.

The Hanabor factions continue to kill each other. Military units have secured key locations in order to better execute their war…some of these key positions are within Asgard resource gathering territory. The presence of military fanatics is making some workers nervous, but nothing bad has come of it yet.

done!

Additional Note: applecider’s planetary data have been added to the spreadsheet; left-most column, at the bottom.
                                Last edited by foolish_icarus; July 9, 2005, 01:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X