Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C
    Nation: Ainar Confederation
    Capital City: Ayur (Habdome beneath the Sea)
    In favor of: Aquatic life, clean industries, loyality, family, arts
    Against: Police state, egoism
    Cities: Habdomes beneath water surface; Because of the efficiency rules for dome construction, most cities are large in size and densely populated. Nonetheless, the Ainar architecture is of great beauty, representing the soft curves and wideness of the oceans.
    Industry: There are two main industries: Energy harvesting and constructions. Maintaining fully enclosed habitats requires large amounts of energy, while the population pressure is a constant strain on the few cities, so there´s a large demand for new housing.
    Military: Automated submarine vessels. There´s a small police force in the habdomes, but since it´s hard to flee from there anyway and good relations are essential in the "cans" (as the citizens call their domes) there´s little crime at all.
    Government: The cities form widely independent political entities, while they are secured by a network of friendship and alliance treaties. Each city will send a representative in the case of a great Assembly, which can be called by any city anytime. This will then hold counsil and act as a single government for the Ainar nation.
    Heritage: The first settlers built their "biospheres" on the few land they could find. They were exposed to the harsh climate of the planet and thus in constant danger. Soon there have been projects to settle the vast oceans instead, for their water offers protection from storms while the infrastructure would still be the same (since the athmosphere isn´t breathable anyway). Cultures still detectable include a mix of European and Oceanian peoples. Though basically every nation of old earth is somehow present in the gene pool.

Small background:

Living in overpopulated habitats deep beneath the sea, there´s little room for quarrels or hatred. The Ainar are opposed to cultural or genetical homogenization. Thus there is a wide variety of customs, festivals, clothing and arts of all kinds, providing distraction from the everyday life.
    While there is no "money" in the classical sense, the Ainar depend on the help of each and every citizen. Whether this is in research, construction, farming, teaching, cleaning or entertaining is up to oneself, but each citizen does contribute to the society as a whole (and firmly believes in that neccessity).

After the missiles hit, communications with the other colonists on "Dignity" were cut off. The Habdomes haven´t been hit directly, but many of the power plants have been damaged or destroyed. This brought the time of darkness, as all available energy was needed to maintain life support, while lighting, electronic entertainment and communications had to be abandoned. As a direct result the Ainar have developed a rich culture and many stories, accustical instruments have been reintroduced and family life has grown in value. Now the energy production is slowly being brought up to the old levels, using "aternate" sources such as tidal power plants or storm collectors.
    Last edited by Micha; June 30, 2005, 04:49.
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Nation G: The Empire of Zelnick
      Capital: Zelnickapolis
      In favor of: the emperor, clean energy, unified government, manufacturing, planes and shuttles.
      opposed to: Pullution, dirty industries, extremely destructive weapons.
      Cities: many small sized cities scattered around, Zelnickapolis is quite large.
      Industry: Clean energy and manufacturing are the biggest industries. Geothermal, wind, solar, and nuclear are all used to some extent. Although the people of the empire hate pollution, they don't mind launching their nuclear waste into space once it starts piling up. Manufacturing is largely robotics, planes both military and commercial, and shuttles for waste launches.
      Military: Mostly airforce, minial army, next to non-existant navy.
      Government: Emperor, the successor is hand-picked by the current emperor. Although the empire alows quite abit of freedom and free trade, it reserves the right to seize any property without compensation. Emperor approved legal counsels deal with local problems.
      Heritage: Valour was originally united under one nation, however when the missiles came communications were broken up. A young visionary, Zelnick, led the people of the empire successfully for many years, and made the reunitation of Valour an important mission. Since Zelnick there have been two other emperors and each has made progress in swallowing up more of Valour for the glory of the empire.
      I changed my signature

Comment

Great, now I can do nation stats. Coming soon: A step by step guide on how to do (stat) orders, and we'll be on our feet.

bp, sure just pick up one of the (soon to be existing) NPCs anytime.
        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Any interest in having maps of the planets? I started making a map of Veratis 5 just for my own amusement.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

What got me thinking about maps was applecider's tide locked moon that's orbiting the planet my nation is on. I started to wonder if we'd be looking at each other all the time.

Here's an example of what I've done so far. It's probably not geometrically correct, even for an inprecise map projection, but what can you expect.

If you have any interest in using maps in the game, I'll try to make maps of the other inhabited planets.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

hey that's pretty cool.

If you make more I'd like to see them

ADDENDUM

And everything is ready! Included are revised system stats and a how to for sending orders, as well as updated stat worksheet in HTML and excel formats. For the sake of haste and to give our hopefully-coming-really-soon-about-to-be-more-players a chance to custom design their countries, you will meet your NPC friends next turn. Don't worry about spending too much time on orders this turn, I'll be kind to you...but next turn, the fun starts
              Last edited by foolish_icarus; July 1, 2005, 23:54.
              Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Well, I said Uhtunht was tidelocked- that means the same face of my moon faces your planet all the time. I didn't say you were tidelocked as well, although it's not implausible that you could be. Pluto and Charon are in real life, I think.

Likewise if anyone wants me to generate detailed gravitational forces, diameters, and escape velocities that are mathematically correct, not just random numbers, I can do that too.
                "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

yeah that'd be good! We could put maps, "real" stats up online, where the stat chart is now up (See second post for link). I don't want to jump the gun though. Just four players makes things a little...feeble.

Comment

Veratis4:

Uhtuhnt (not really alot to work with):

They're very easy to change, so I can alter them and touch them up at a later date.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yeah, a rocky moon doesn't give you much to work with map-wise. Smack some more craters into the surface if you want. I can generate those planetary stats anytime you feel like we've got enough players. I'll also look into figuring out how to calculate orbital periods for each planet.

Another thing I'd had in mind (and don't feel obligated to work this in, you've been overworked as is) is a map showing the Veritas system with the relative position of planets. Since each planet would have a different year, they'd end up in different places relative to each other, and thereby create different situations for spacecraft. That would make our "borders" constantly variable, since we'd be threatened by one player one turn, and a totally different one the next turn.

You could also show that by just putting a list of planets that are in favorable position for a cheap, quick orbit to each other, and change it each turn.
                      Last edited by appleciders; July 2, 2005, 16:46.

Comment

I don't know, I can't think of what the best way to represent that would be. I could just draw it like I did the maps, but it would have to be on a two dimensional plane. I could also make a simplistic 3d model of it, but that would probably be a bit more difficult to understand or update regularily.
                        Last edited by General Ludd; July 2, 2005, 16:21.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

By the way, if we do want to use those planetary maps, I should be able to add islands and note worthy features by request.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Star systems and their planets tend to be in 2-D planes, or at least so close that you can't tell the difference at any scale you could draw it, so 2-D is ok.

Comment

And veratis3:

What is the "slush" in Veratis4's oceans? Should they be muddy?

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Here is what i can do for a system map. I haven't marked out the orbits or put much thought into the the relative distances of the planets, but that can be done later. (everything is pretty close together and the sun is small because an image of this nature can quickly become gargantuan.)

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                                X