No announcement yet.

Advanced Hellenistic Era NES - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They do have money; it all comes from Macedonia. And that's why I included things like political influence.
    "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
    phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
    three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

To explain further appleciders... There once was a NES called the GDNES3, and it was placed in the future, and there were colonies on Mars (or was it the moon?). Tass was India, and aliens from metal deposits in Indian-controlled Moon colony killed Tassadar, and took over the government, and then the whole world invaded India.

Comment

Ah, even more sense-making. I seem to remember something recent about martians in the NNES.

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
          Rome - Carthage
          Fabrics-Wine trade route announced.

Micha do we still have to pay something to open the trade route?
          Well, with Pirates all over the Mediterranean it couldn´t hurt to send some guarding ships... Basically you don´t need to pay for trade routes, though it´d be nice if you announced the worth of the trades... Since Import costs are not affected by efficiency, while Export revenues are, it makes quite a difference.

Example:
          Rome, Iron (9) - Egypt Grain (14) or something like that...

Edit:
          The game (me ) handles all trades as "goods for money".
          So the above example would in fact be two trade routes:
          Rome, Imports: grain (Egypt 14)
          Rome, Exports: iron (Egypt 9)

Read the posts below about why grain should be worth more than iron (at least during peace)...
          Last edited by Micha; January 28, 2005, 04:55.
          Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
          Let me eat your yummy brain!
          "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Also, as kind of a hint, importing food might be a very good idea, even at higher costs!

Any new food ressource that is supplied will increase efficiency by 10% Resulting in a quite large rise in Income which will eventually not only cover the import costs but may even provide a small (or big) revenue all by itself...
            This is especially true for countries with a large income like Macedonia or Persia...

Just an example to clarify how trade works:
            Lydia wants to import fish from Macedonia, and offers 15 talents per turn. No countertrade is being done, so for Macedonia it´s a clear win!

Macedonia will have +15t raw income, making a net increase of 14t in the budget!

Lydia will have its expenses increased by 15t, but the fish is improving the efficiency by 10%. Lydia thus gets its income increased by 22t per turn, just from the improved efficiency.
            Substracting the cost of 15t, there´s still a surplus of 7t per turn!

That was about the only way I could come up with that makes trading a win-win if done right
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

It might seem that there´s too much money to be made by trade, but nations as Carthage had almost their entire income purely from trade...

Also it depends on the players if they really want to sell two food ressources to a potential enemy who will be richer by 20%...

And a clarification about the huge impact of food:
              As you can see, food is worth more than 3 luxury ressources.
              This is because the first thing people want is food. And if they get the money, more food. Also the richer the people are, the more diverse they want to eat.
              Second, you can see that the unmodified efficiency is 50%. With all three kinds of food imported (maybe there´ll be a fourth one resembling "fruits"), you´re up to 80%.
              So even with all food supply you´re not at too high of an efficiency. Here´s where the luxuries / consumer goods come in.

So I hope you guys don´t feel food is overpowered, as there´s plenty of it and none is controlled by a single country (except for cattle, which can also be found in Spain if anyone dared to colonize the area...)

Please give me feedback on the concept, as I am quite prejudiced about it after so many hours juggling around with the numbers...

Comment

Sparta to Rome
                Deal! 30t plus half of the spoils of war it is then.
                As for the battle plan, we think it´s too risky to meet our navies. Instead we propose you try to get Pyrrhus´ navy to leave the area, maybe by attacking and pulling back. That way we can land the troops safely.

Another thing:
                Would you be interested in purchasing fine Spartan honey? The divine ambrosia, it gives strength for the soldiers and it´s not perishable... We could export amounts up to 6 talents...
                Of course Pyrrhus has to be dealt with before, as he will intercept the trade vessels...

Lydia to Macedonia
                Indeed we are interest in purchasing your fish surplus! We´d be willing to pay, say 9 talents per turn?
                For wines our traders estimate that 4 talents per turn would give the most pleasant trade for both sides...

OOC
                You may trade a ressource to multiple costumers, just don´t make it too much of a fairytale, like the Cyrenaica supplying three major powers with grain...

Comment

Persia sends 2,600 immortals from the Gaza army to protect Egypt.
                  Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                  Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Oh, I just love this new trade system Micha. It gives a whole new dimension to this NES.

Comment

• I agree, I'm definately for it. It's cool!

Comment

• Thanks!

Lydia to Carthage
                        Though we condemn you desecretion of the Oasis Siwa Oracle, our country is run by money, not by ideals. So our merchant guild has decided to offer both fabrics and pottery to your traders. The price may be subject to negotiation, while we´d prefer something along the lines of 10 talents each.

Comment

• Crete to Egypt
                          Greetings!
                          Our economy suffers from the past wars, just like yours. That´s why we´d like to propose a trade agreement of mutual help!
                          Our marble is of finest quality, from the renowned quarries of Naxos. We´d be willing to sell it to you for 6 talents / turn!
                          In exchange, we would like to import paper worth 4 talents / turn.
                          The amount might increase as our merchants get wealthier, they´re too anxious right now to go for anything above 4t/t...

Comment

• Any word from MG or the other cities? I hope our pigeons werent caught by eagles this time
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Magna Graecia to Carthage
                              With the Romans growing dangerously strong, the equilibrium of powers has been destroyed. This is a threat to us, and it will one day become a threat for you, too.
                              We want to warn you, we´ve heard words of Roman Senators speaking jealously of the riches that lay in Carthage and Spain.
                              Act now, as it might be too late in a few years...

Massilia and Nicaea to Rome
                              Is that a threat? What makes your young nation believe to be the chosen rulers of what belongs to the glorious Greek civilization?
                              We want to establish good relations with Rome, as well as we condemn the happenings in Southern Italia, but we will not fold to your demands.

Adria to Rome
                              What has caused this turn in relations between us?
                              What have we done to you that you start threatening your ally?
                              We might as well hide behind the mighty king Pyrrhus, but we don´t, as we don´t want to engage in hostilities with our friends...

Emporion to Rome
                              We have no choice but to accept. We cannot defend ourselves against the mighty legions of Rome that have defeated the Gaul hordes! However we apply for full citizenship...

Ancona and Adria to Macedonia
                              Rome starts threatening us. As you are the successor of the old Attic Federation, we turn to you in need of assurances in case of war. Would you help us? If so, Rome might back down and peace can be ensured...
                              Last edited by Micha; January 28, 2005, 13:48.

Comment

• While Messana seems willing to join the Roman cause, Pyrrhus and his allies have put up a strong and brutal regime of harsh punishments in case of rebelliousness. So Magna Graecia as a whole does not respond to the Roman envoy.
                                Instead the demands are repeated.

Comment

Working...
                                X