No announcement yet.

Scenario Design Contest #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, the 65 million years was a cheap shot.

There are two conflicting positions on the thread: keep the criteria wide open to attract a crowd of entrants, and keep them narrow to allow a level playing field for the judges. I can see not only is the latter a minority position, but that several people whom I respect are pushing for minimal rules. I disagree, but hopefully time will prove me wrong -- we'll get lots of scenarios, and fair judging will be possible.

Now, what say we nominate St. Leo to set up a poll with the various options we've discussed?
    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

• Second.

Should we tell him he's nominated?
      "You give a guy a crown and it goes straight to his head."
      -OOTS

Comment

• Originally posted by Boco
        Uh...Tech, I think the Apples and Spaceships / Level playing field is a distinct minority here.
        Well, looking back over the thread, I don't see why you would say that. There really is no concensus at all.

Frankly, if people are going to finish the scenarios they've already half done, we don't need a contest. Just finish the damn things and submit them!
        Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Boco

There are two conflicting positions on the thread: keep the criteria wide open to attract a crowd of entrants, and keep them narrow to allow a level playing field for the judges. I can see not only is the latter a minority position, but that several people whom I respect are pushing for minimal rules. I disagree, but hopefully time will prove me wrong -- we'll get lots of scenarios, and fair judging will be possible.

Now, what say we nominate St. Leo to set up a poll with the various options we've discussed?
          Re: The level playing field - Wouldn't this only be the case iff said contest is restricted strictly to historically accurate scenarios? A wide open field should give the judge wider discretionary powers too.
          [I am taking the POV that this is a good thing of course, btw. ]

Might it also be desirable to go back to a judge panel?
          That way any bias is much more tempered.

Comment

• OT (Sorry)

Tech, my daughter insists on attending the Hurricanes - Maple Leafs game tonight so she can sing the Canadian anthem.

Should the last contest winner decide the parameters for the next contest?
            -OOTS

Comment

• In one regard you are right, Tech. Not many posts seriously (I think?) advocate submitting scenarios started months ago. As for designer anonymity, I can't tell.

However, I was referring to the many posts shooting down the idea of narrowing the contest to a single geographic area (such as Africa) and timeframe (e.g. Colonial period) to make life easier for the judges. Personally, I'd think for a given era and area, alternate and real history could easily mix (e.g. Turtledove history and WWI). Most posters think that given judging criteria about playability, 'accuracy', art, and thoroughness, "apples" and "spaceships" can be compared. I think that asks judge(s) to show a whole lotta objectivity that is difficult to maintain.

I also have serious doubts as to whether a 1 on 1 duel could be fairly compared to a SP scenario, but you and others have more experience about that.

I'd vote for a panel as well.

Btw, how many entrants were there in the SDC about Africa?
              El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

• Ah you young whippersnappers. I think there were 4 or maybe 5 (it was March 1999 btw).
                -OOTS

Comment

• Maybe if the community knew what the winning criteria were for consideration, it would be easier to narrow down some guidelines. Is there a premium on new artwork, or should a score be awarded based on how the whole is presented? Will attention to historical detail be rewarded, and how to tell (without avoiding rants like Prometeus')? Are there certain required files or formats for certain files that can be compared?

Or is everyone just gonna vote?
                  -OOTS

Comment

• I really have no objection to an alternate history theme, or any other for that matter. What I don't like are the attempts to broaden the theme so that scenarios which are obviously already half done will qualify.

BTW, Boco, I think there were 6 entries to SDC#1 which had a colonial Africa theme.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• I don't think anyone wants to see half-finished scenarios participate, but just some more freedom on the author's part, which will hopefully mean more entries.

I think, now, most designers never bother participating or quit in the process, because the strict theme just isn't their thing (not to spend as much time on as you'd need to do to get a historicall accurate setting anyway, playing it is another thing).

There has never been a lack of enthusiasm, but let's face it, 3 or 4 entries is hardly a contest (no offense).

And with 1 or 2 judges the subjectivity claim (regarding participants' anonymity) barely holds, because the whole thing will probably be biased towards their own personal tastes anyway. So a panel, or organised open "people's vote" would be much better, IMHO, in which case the anonymity isn't necessary either (as long as the voting is regulated enough to prevent everyone playing Mr. Cool Dude's scenario, and no-one playing Mr. Newbie's scenario).
                      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• I agree with everything Mercator sez. If there are several categories for the community to rank (Art, Playability, whatever) there could be a winner for each category in addition to first prize.

Do half finished scenarios really have an advantage? Could that lead to better overall entries? Alternatively, wouldn't it be easy to tell if someone entered something they have talked about on these boards?
                        -OOTS

Comment

• Of course, no already paritially completed scenario's should be entered. I also agree that we should use a wide theme in order to encourage more enteries. I am not sure on the consensus over getting rid of codenames etc. but I believe that they are pretty much superflous. Also, if we get rid of codenames the less experienced entrants (like me ) can get help from the people at these boards, as long as they understand that any info can be stolen, but that is the risk you take. I think that the competitor's for a vote on a theme are currently:

Alternate History (Any Time Period)
                          1 on 1 PBEM Duel (Any Time Period)
                          Battles of the World Wars
                          Southern Asia (Ancient-Industrial)
                          "The cost of living hasn't affected it's popularity." - Anonymous
                          "I must confess, I was born at a very early age." - Groucho Marx
                          "Time is the best teacher. Unfortunatley, it kills all it's pupils." -Hector-Luis Berloiz

Comment

• Well, I've got half finished scenarios that fit each one of those categories. Maybe this contest is all I need to finish one or two.

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• OT

Tech, what do you have thats half done and fits in the AH category. If you don't mind me asking?
                              "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton
                              "Guinness sucks!" -- Me

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercator
                                And with 1 or 2 judges the subjectivity claim (regarding participants' anonymity) barely holds, because the whole thing will probably be biased towards their own personal tastes anyway. So a panel, or organised open "people's vote" would be much better, IMHO, in which case the anonymity isn't necessary either (as long as the voting is regulated enough to prevent everyone playing Mr. Cool Dude's scenario, and no-one playing Mr. Newbie's scenario).

Multiple judges will also take some of the pressure off, as a single individual could be rather hard-pressed to come up with the research required for the accuracy of a multitude of history-based scenarios (Historical accuracy being, IMO, a rather flawed judging criterion anyway). Such would involve, of course, much longer delays in coming to a conclusion...

Q: Would the AH category being bandied about lately include "sci-fi" AH (a la Turtledove's Worldwar series - an idea I've been playing with for a while)?

Comment

Working...
                                X