No announcement yet.

Simcity 4 Released?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, I think it's "Pixelating Nude Patch", isn't it?

BTW, I got SC4 a couple of days ago, and I'm REALLY impressed! Maxis has finally turned SC into a real strategy game rather than a software toy as they used to call it.

Oh, and ADG? I would be interested in a PBEM game, sounds like fun!

John-SJ

Comment

• Originally posted by John-SJ
      Actually, I think it's "Pixelating Nude Patch", isn't it?
      You're right, that was "pixelating Nude Patch", but still a strange thing to have in SimCity 4 (or is there some cheat code that makes it possible to zoom into peoples houses )

Originally posted by John-SJ
      Oh, and ADG? I would be interested in a PBEM game, sounds like fun!
      on second thought I think it was Play by forum, not email... but who cares about details (Well...in SimCity 4 we all care about those nice details... )

Just one thing... Should we have 1 city, that changes mayor over time? Or one city per player (using the import city, for other players cities, at given times (like each 2-4 years)? Or anyone who has other ideas?

If we use the second one (using reagion MP), then there's room for a lot of players
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• I like the silly things it says its doing and there's at least 10 of them. An offshoot from the old S2K "reticulating splines" I imagine.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

• Yeah, I think they're great too... pointless, but great

pointless things in games, makes the game better

Comment

• Maxis, King of Pointless Fun!

Or how about one I saw on the news ticker last night, something like, "Scientists agree, plastic would make the perfect food if it tasted better and had nutrients". And then there is SC's long standing obsession with Llamas, "Llamas petition to be on the Twelve Days of Christmas". *shakes head* Gotta hand it to Maxis!

I have to admit, I'm really not familiar with the choices of game play for multiplayer, but I would be open to pretty much anything.

John-SJ

Comment

• Re: Maxis, King of Pointless Fun!

Or how about one I saw on the news ticker last night, something like, "Scientists agree, plastic would make the perfect food if it tasted better and had nutrients". And then there is SC's long standing obsession with Llamas, "Llamas petition to be on the Twelve Days of Christmas". *shakes head* Gotta hand it to Maxis!
              Yeah, those Llama's are pretty famous at Maxis office

I have to admit, I'm really not familiar with the choices of game play for multiplayer, but I would be open to pretty much anything.
              Well, the only possible ways I can see is:

1) All players, plays the same city, but only from a certain time to a certain time (Could be like playing 1-2 years at a time, then post the city, for the next player to play his time)... though this would only work if there's only few player...

2) Each player get some land (There's 3 different sizes of land, but we will only use middle size, since they are all over the region) from the region map. I don't know if this would work out in MP, but it'll be worth a try...

When the set time is over (could be 2 years or so), each player uploads their region, and each player downloads each region (to use the import feature, to import the right city from each "players region"... Though this could do some errors (by importing the wrong city from the wrong players region)

I'll start a new thread about this later...

EDIT: SimCity 4 Region play thread has been created
              Last edited by Adagio; January 24, 2003, 14:22.

Comment

• Computer Gaming World has written a SimCity 4 Reivew:

Comment

• Yeah, I have seen it in the shops, came out quite early in the new year didn't it? I suppose I will have to buy it at some point, but it is having the time to sit down and play a game at the moment
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• 48k population and REAL skyscrapers are just starting to appear. Of course this is putting immense strain on my transport network and school programmes but I'm loving it
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

• Haven't got that far yet, I keep starting a new game (making new regions)

Comment

• I'm also enjoying the game a great deal. The early game, however, can be a bit counter-intuitive. For example, it makes sense, doesn't it, that your community will want water?

Nope. Early on, in fact, keeping water going to everybody puts a huge strain on the budget. Answer? Let them be thirsty for a good long time. Gee, I wouldn't think you'd buy a house with no running water, but I'm just picky that way.

Even better, I just got a message that says my water pollution levels are really low! Now only if my sims could dig deep enough to get it...

Also, you have to learn to ignore a number of messages that seem really urgent but are just people whining (this is good practice for forum posting, by the way!). For example, they'll complain about not having schools, police, fire, etc., but in the early game, putting those all in too early will wreck your budget.

Once you figure this stuff out, the game becomes much nicer to play.
                        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

• Point 1: Yin sighting!!!!

Point 2: I'm still struggling to get a decent city up and running. It's kinda maddening, but I'll have another go tonight and see if I can crack it.
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• Hmmm... Yin is back... sensation

Because of my good nature, I always try to make sure every Sim has some water, but I still manage to get a city running (Though it took many tries, before suceeded... the first many times I had to accept the military base and missile launch thing... but it's been a while, since I last saw them... )

So my advice is: Practice... and don't listen to the Sims (at least not in the beginning)...

Comment

• Well I've got my first half-decent little city up and running.

Population around 8,000 and making a profit of almost $1000 per month. The only downside is that I have very little money in the bank.
                              If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

• You can be nice to your sims immediately but it will harm your ability to expand since it definitely cripples your budget. You want lots of stupid smelly people working in nasty factories first before you teach their children to read, write and cycle to work at the laboratory.
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X