Best PC WWI/II game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kropotkin
    Btw, on the french map: Are the british real ****ers or what? half of their troops are already thousands of miles from the main front and the rest are in Southampton.
    Oran II.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This looks bad for the Brits:
      Attached Files
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I'm starting to get the hang of the game now (well I see that there's lot more to it but I understand the different phases) and it's interesting. More than you usually get from a strategy-game nowadays (damn the RTS-spam suckers call strategy).

Comment

That´s the right attitude! The boardgame is 20 years old, and people are still arguing about the best strategies; that says something.
          -----
          Finally! Cairo, Suez and Alexandria have fallen; all British troops in Egypt are destroyed or have surrendered. However, in unconditionally supporting Mussolini´s vendetta against the English and his dreams of a Neo-Roman Empire, I have just about spent myself into bankruptcy. Moreover, the Soviets are far from finished, and the shadow of the United States looms darkly on the Western horizon. In the moment it is far from clear if the 3rd Reich could afford this Egyptian Victory. 1942 will be the decisive year of the Second World War (or at least of this scenario, because it ends in Summer 42 ).
          Attached Files
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

So you're only playing the first part of the title (rise) and not the second (decline*). Isn't that kind of cheating. Like leading a football game in half time and then refuse to play on.

[oh that yes, those lousy santa caps are finally gone!!]

* Why decline? It's not like the 3rd reich faded away like and old man at the old folks home. Fall just seems better.

Comment

Isn't that kind of cheating. Like leading a football game in half time and then refuse to play on.
              Not really, because the Victory Conditions are also different from the Grand Campaign.

They probably named it 'Rise and Decline' in honour to Gibbon ('Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire').
              AreYouGame offers the largest selection of games, puzzles, and activities to create meaningful memories with the whole family.
              Last edited by Comrade Tribune; January 7, 2003, 03:52.

Comment

Damnit! This thread has fooled me again. Last time I saw it I was going to say Battlefield 1942, but noticed its about strat games and not FPS.

Comment

Another day, another turn

Anglo-Allied forces starting a buildup:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Finished my first campaign with a stalemate as the allied at easy. Did pretty OK in the east and also nice in africa but after that I made to many trial and error-mistakes in my landings in the west. Well I learned a lot.

Those replacement-units; are they to any use at all or...?

Comment

First game 3rd Reich a stalemate is good, even at easy.

Replacements rock. Because:

-1 They only cost 1 Burp.
                      -2 They make great Attrition losses.
                      -3 You want to build two, sometimes 3, lines of defense. Not counting Replacements, your force pool would be too small. This is especially true from normal level up.

Replacements are among my favourites (no joke); their only disadvantage is that they place a burden on your SR. You want to use them where things will be static for a few turns, preferably.

Btw, that´s actually a -not quite obvious- advantage of the Red Army. Their Replacements are the 1-3s; at least I consider them not as bad Line Troops, but rather as mobile Replacements. Otoh, the designers somehow didn´t look favourably at the Red Airforce.

Comment

Nice and cheap for taking attrition losses.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Yes I've got that by now. At first I though they hade some more esoteric value as giving extra strength for the units at the front. So that's why people reads the manual. I started another game but know I hardly dares to move a unit. The manual scared me.

Comment

Go get'em Kropotkin!

I have enjoyed two PC wargames, one is Norm Koger's The Art of War (A Century of Warfare is the final version) and the other surprisingly enough is Civ2, some of the WW2 mods by Capt Nemo and others are very well done. Since there are a number of new logins on the boards they may not be aware of the old Civ2 Scenario Design efforts - they are well worth a look. Take a look through the forum.

The link below has a bunch of After Action Reports on TAOW. Gives a good overview of the game and if you would like playing some of the scenarios.

Be the bid!

Comment

The manual scared me.
                              There are actually two manuals: Double scare day! The Operations Manual is the more readable, but the Reference Manual has the really important information. In the end you will not be able to evade reading both. It´s worth it, though. 3rd Reich is really the benchmark of WWII games.

Comment

Finished this game!

Preparing to attack Leningrad:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X