No announcement yet.

Noteworthy deaths in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The newest gimmick is squirrel tokens. They're not real creatures, but they represent small, furry woodland animals on the warpath. Too many duels recently have been ending with "A squirrel bit you and you died! Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

I hate squirrel decks.
    The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
    Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
    All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
    "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

In WW2 online I was flying a Me-109 chasing a Hawk. We had been dogfighting for about 10 minutes and he was pouring out black smoke when all of a sudden he led me right over a couple of flak guns.

Comment

In Donkey Kong 64, many of the levels have camera angles set up in weird ways. It's very, very annoying to try and swing across a pit where the camera is about 45 degrees right of directly behind you. Since the direction you have to press on the control stick to jump off the rope depends on the camera angle, you have to get the stick motion exactly right or else you'll fall fifteen stories onto hot sand and get dive-bombed on landing by about 15 Zingers.
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Don't play Donkey Kong 64.
          "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
          "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
          - Pekka

Comment

Awww, but it's so cute!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              In Stunts, I was racing against the legendary Helen Wheels. I had opened up a respectable lead when I roared into a 270 degree banked curve.

As I came out of the curve, I was doing in excess of 200 miles per hour. Suddenly, my wrecked car was flying sideways.

The instant replay showed Helen Wheels had entered the intersection leading into the curve a nanosection after I had entered that same intersection as I was exiting it. She had broadsided me. Needless to say, that match was a draw, both contestants being DOA.
              See, now if you were racing Skid Vicious, he would have entered the turn by the time you exited it.

I love Stunts.

What I would do was create tracks with a jump after a length of track which would guarentee my car traveling at 245 MPH (I think that was the top speed of the Formula I racer). It was fun to see that sometimes you would simply rocket straight up into the air after hitting the jump and shatter into pieces upon impact.

Last edited by dunk; July 29, 2002, 14:24.

Comment

In my last note I typed something like...
                (Reminder to self)
                Don't play Donkey Kong 64.
                but I used "less than" and "greater than" instead of the "(" and ")" and the post came out quite differently.
                "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                - Pekka

Comment

Ah... deaths. There have been plenty of those:

On my part: Playing the original X-COM (very long time ago). There's some aliens somewhere terrorizing a city. I sent out a ship full of people. First turn I walk out, the people don't really have the movement to get out from there. Alien first turn, alien comes out, gets shot at but missed by one person. Tosses a grenade. I lose the ship and all the people.

Alien death: X-COM apocalypse. I'm cleaning out some big alien ship. The kind that has big banks of missiles. About half way through the battle, an alien shoots a laser cannon. He screws up big time and the shot is way off. It hits a missile. It explodes. The whole bank of missiles explode. Three aliens and the whole right side of the ship are destroyed. Up to that point, I didn't know it was actually possible to punch a hole in the side of a ship while in that mode where you command a squad of men.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

More deaths:

Magic the Gathering. I'm playing this game against a guy. He totally dominates, reduces me to 1 life. Then he decides to toy with me, build up his army and finish me off on very last turn before his deck runs out. My deck is slightly bigger. So he has this huge army of creatures out, ready to slaughter my puny remaining forces. He reaches to draw his last card, I cast Ray of Erasure, destroying that card. I enjoy the look on his face as he realizes he's just lost (I never did find an alternate use for Ray of Erasure.)
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Dark Age of Camelot: (Ooh plenty of these)

I'm in a battleground. Midgard forces hold the keep, but the Hibernian army charges, and beats them back. We hold our bridge. Something happens, we run back across our bridge. My computer crashes. I log back in. Our army is on our side of, I'm standing in the middle of the Midgard army. I didn't even get to see what hit me (well, not until I scrolled back up to see just how much damage I had taken in about 3 seconds).
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Yeah, I still keep 1 copy of Reverse Damage in my Blue-White deck. It's not something I'd want more than 1 of (even if I had more), but as a wild card that might be in your hand at the right time, it rules. Many style points. It's always fun when your opponent does some last desperate stab to kill you, and all it does it make you stronger so you kill them the next turn.

Probably my most humiliating death in XCom was when I first split my group up into two squads (a European and an Ameircan one) and the very next UFO I find lands in Africa, a big nasty one. What do they do but mind-control one of my new squad members... the one carrying the rocket launcher, of course.
                        All syllogisms have three parts.
                        Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Ever been killed by Ali From Cairo? Now that's humiliating. "I'll cast, oh, I don't know, Orcish Oriflamme . . ."

I'm just glad this guy is on my team. "Why are you using Millstone on your own library? Uh-oh . . ."
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oooh... I forgot my most painful magic death. I was playing in an 8 player game:

I have a Nevynral's (sp?) Disk. Someone tries to Shatter it, but instead I set it off, pissing off everyone. The disk's main problem is that it destroys everything but lands, which means when you have 7 irrate players, they have means to bring you down relatively fast working together.

Other painful deaths (not mine). I was playing in a 6 player game of magic. Several people had red in their decks. Someone puts out a Mana Flare. A second Mana Flare is put out. I get uneasy because now all the red decks can cast fireballs of massive death... I have my red white and blue deck, but none of my standard enchantment dispelling cards are comming up. So tap all 7 of my lands, and fireball the second guy who put out a mana flare for 20. (This was still early in the game and he hadn't been damaged yet. I bet he hated himself for casting mana flare after that)
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              More deaths:

Magic the Gathering. I'm playing this game against a guy. He totally dominates, reduces me to 1 life. Then he decides to toy with me, build up his army and finish me off on very last turn before his deck runs out. My deck is slightly bigger. So he has this huge army of creatures out, ready to slaughter my puny remaining forces. He reaches to draw his last card, I cast Ray of Erasure, destroying that card. I enjoy the look on his face as he realizes he's just lost (I never did find an alternate use for Ray of Erasure.)
                              That's a good one.

Ray of Erasure works well with some other card that you can look at your opponents library. Ooooh, here comes that Squirrel Beast, better blow it away before he can even get it in his hand.

Comment

All the Destruction-deaths in a game called "One Must Fall - 2097"

Pieces of huge robots flying everywhere. KA-POW!
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X