No announcement yet.

Noteworthy deaths in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing Half-Life, Firing the guided rocket launcher and then turning around and running the other way. Chunky!
    Talent Optional

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
      Baldur's gate and BG2 as well of course...

Another favourite is confusion, or hold, and so on... nothing much you can do about it, and every time i have to reload

That's the only thing i really hate in BG...those spells, other than that the game is perfect!
      There are counterspells to this, and items that grant you immunity. And also it swings both ways so not that much of an issue once you learn how to use it.
      It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Not a death, but a bad thing in a game...

Zork.

A seedy-looking character walks into the room, removing some valuable objects from the room and from your possession.

ACK! That SOB.

As for a death...

Forbidden Forest... Watching that giant 8-bit spider eat you is pretty gruesome!

And Zork again... You have been eaten by a grue!

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay37

Yup. In FF5, when that tower sinks, there's that one shard that is out of reach. Once you get the submarine, when you go to the submerged tower, Gogo is at the top and you fight him for the shard (which gives the Mime class, IIRC).
          Whoa. I guess I never got that far (IIRC, I'm currently stuck with the Flying Fortress and had decided to level up, then I updated my emulator and the saves wouldn't work anymore and I got frustrated). This is quite strange, having a boss from an earlier game become a PC later. A unique case with Final Fantasy, AFAIK.
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Space05us, lucky we don't do these things in RL.
            Jon Miller, that is brilliant - to what extent did you fall asleep?
            "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
            "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
            - Pekka

Comment

woke up an hour or so later....

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That is hilarious. If my wife caught me like that I would never live it down.
                - Pekka

Comment

One interesting case with Nethack was meeting a poisonous monster when hallucinating...

"The mother-in-law bites! The bite was poisonous! The poison was deadly..."

It's also rather embarrassing to get sacrificed by a monster on ADOM... almost as embarrassing as getting your whole inventory disintegrated when trying to convert an altar. Risky business.
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Oh yes, Don't the Gods get angry in ADOM when the conversions fail? As I remember it that was cool and felt like the Gods were more active in the game.

I just took off all my clothes and tried to get a Xorn to eat my ball and chain (no euphemism, btw). I got put to sleep by a trap and killed in my sleep. I might call my next character Jon Miller if I keep dying like that.
                    - Pekka

Comment

Are there good Pokemon games? I wasn't willing to try any.
                      Gold / Silver is much better than Red / Blue / Green. Preparing for the Elite Four, the big bosses, is very frustrating, though, since your monsters need soooo much experience to get level-ups above around level 35.
                      Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Thanks Mr P.
                        - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                          I always enjoyed the Gogo fight in FF5... he says that he'll do whatever you do. My conclusion was that I had to figure out a way to make him kill himself. So I said "Hey Gogo! Look at this!" and had Faris, a Knight, chop her head off with the Excalibur (got a critical hit, thunked herself for 4000 damage!). My roommate and I just rolled on the floor after that slightly unintended consequence.
                          I even got a chuckle out of that one... now people at work are giving me odd looks...

Originally posted by Mr. President
                          There were, of course, my first twenty or so deaths in Super Mario Brothers. It was before I learned how to jump, so I walked - very slowly - into the very first Goomba that sauntered towards me at the beginning of world 1-1.
                          I almost did that... instead I'd read the manual and at least known how to run into him though...

Also posted by Mr. President
                          Gold / Silver is much better than Red / Blue / Green. Preparing for the Elite Four, the big bosses, is very frustrating, though, since your monsters need soooo much experience to get level-ups above around level 35.
                          That's where a GB gameshark comes in handy... yes, it's cheating... but isn't also the game cheating you out of just a whole bunch of time otherwise?

And as far as my horrible demise... not really a demise, but my wife, sister-in-law, and I were all playing Mario Kart 64... it was on the course with all the stupid penguins and we all got a turbo start.

My wife and her sister crash into each other, I'd just shoved some popcorn in my mouth and was trying to play on a three-handed controller with one hand, and then crash into them, sending us all three flying into the icy waters below.

There will probably more, and funnier experiances... but that is the one that sticks out in my mind now.
                          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

bitten by a kitten

12 1128 Jack-Bar-Hum-Mal-Neu died in The Dungeons of Doom on
                            level 3. Killed by a kitten, while helpless. - [53]
                            - Pekka

Comment

Magic: The Gathering isn't technically a computer game, but there are several funny ways to die in planeswalker duels (a couple of which have happened to me). The newest gimmick is squirrel tokens. They're not real creatures, but they represent small, furry woodland animals on the warpath. Too many duels recently have been ending with "A squirrel bit you and you died! Ha, ha, ha, ha!"

There was the time my artificially enhanced demon lord rushed my opponent. I would have hit for 27 damage, but the other guy dropped "Reverse Damage", which does exactly what it says.
                              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

It sucks when you're character seems so tough. My guy wasn't that experienced but he was 18,18,17 Str,Dex,Con - and a Barbarian! His family better not hear about that kitten.

PS: Ironic that this is the thread that won't die
                                - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                                X