No announcement yet.

Noteworthy deaths in games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't played Nethack, but I am playing Zangband.

When you start off, you can be killed by an irritated sparrow.

Trust me on this.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

There were, of course, my first twenty or so deaths in Super Mario Brothers. It was before I learned how to jump, so I walked - very slowly - into the very first Goomba that sauntered towards me at the beginning of world 1-1.
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Baldur's gate and BG2 as well of course...

quite simple really, there are tons of mind spells there that take control of your mind so you can't control your chars anymore... well, dire charm for example which is a very low level spell that quite about everybody can cast, when it is cast on my party, hits about 3 ppl or something, and after that i just see how my own members kill my remaining chars in like 3 seconds... very frustrating

Another favourite is confusion, or hold, and so on... nothing much you can do about it, and every time i have to reload

That's the only thing i really hate in BG...those spells, other than that the game is perfect!
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

GTA3... running too fast down stairs or a steep slope and falling to your death.

...getting rammed by a minivan after running a red light, losing control, and veering into the ocean.

Comment

Looking for bonus rooms in Donkey Kong Country, you often find yourself jumping into holes. It's not as impressive-sounding as getting hit with a Confusion spell, but it looks really funny.

Sometimes in Pokemon, you're forced to send one of your monsters out against an opponent whose type is super-effective against it and you get hit for about 200 damage in one attack. It took me about a hundred tries to pass the Psychic gym (in the Red edition), because Psychic attacks were almost unstoppable before the introduction of Dark-type Pokemon in Gold / Silver.
              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

heh. I have one. (from last night too )
                I had been playing Wizardry 8 on iron man mode (which means you can't save during gameplay) for about three hours when I got into an elevator and went up...squish.

Comment

Huh?

What's dangerous about going up in an elevator?

Mr President,
                  Are there good Pokemon games? I wasn't willing to try any.
                  "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                  "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                  - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
                    That's fascinating, kassiopea, being that FF7 doesn't have a 4th CD.
                    Oh well, I meant the last CD. (too much FF8) Silly that, considering I've played FF7 through thrice.

I always enjoyed the Gogo fight in FF5... he says that he'll do whatever you do. My conclusion was that I had to figure out a way to make him kill himself. So I said "Hey Gogo! Look at this!" and had Faris, a Knight, chop her head off with the Excalibur (got a critical hit, thunked herself for 4000 damage!). My roommate and I just rolled on the floor after that slightly unintended consequence.
                    FF5? Are you sure? You mean both FF5 and FF6 have Gogo?
                    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Playing Thief in ironman mode. I got through the entire mission, grabbed all the gold available and had just gotten the Horn of Quintus. I then jumped off the ladder, badly, and fell to my death.
                      And all I needed to do at that point was to get down the ladder and run through the caves to my freedom.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I guess thats someones way of saying we shouldn't play so much...

What's dangerous about going up in an elevator?

I was sticking half in half out. and didn't think of the ceiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                          FF5? Are you sure? You mean both FF5 and FF6 have Gogo?
                          Yup. In FF5, when that tower sinks, there's that one shard that is out of reach. Once you get the submarine, when you go to the submerged tower, Gogo is at the top and you fight him for the shard (which gives the Mime class, IIRC).

Comment

I will use an edit here

wrong thread

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

hmm

probably should add something

there was the one time I died in FF7

I fell asleep while playing and ran into a random encounter

if I had just attacked once, my oponents would be dead

but some how they killed me, (I think my casting the counting down death thing on me, and then the counter running out)

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In Stunts, I was racing against the legendary Helen Wheels. I had opened up a respectable lead when I roared into a 270 degree banked curve.

As I came out of the curve, I was doing in excess of 200 miles per hour. Suddenly, my wrecked car was flying sideways.

The instant replay showed Helen Wheels had entered the intersection leading into the curve a nanosection after I had entered that same intersection as I was exiting it. She had broadsided me. Needless to say, that match was a draw, both contestants being DOA.

Comment

Working...
                                X