No announcement yet.

Alpha Centauri / Call to Power: My opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brian, when it comes out, I'll challenge you to a game of CTP. Not that I'm saying I'm not gonna buy SMAC (fawn, fawn!!), it's just that I reckon you would wipe the floor with me before I even made Planetfall!

Comment

I have to say i was MOST dissapointed with Mr. Renyolds post. . it clearly seems as if he is trying to slander CTP before it comes out. I'll also say that i am skeptical a bit about call to power and some of its new ideas. . (whats up with the cow unit anyway???. . i sure am glad that got scrapped). . for the MOST part, i'm really excited about it. I'll maybe also get SMAC, but i'm not looking forward to it in the same way. . it just doesn't appeal to me as much. AND, a question. . what IS CIV:TOT? is it a new game or an add on?. . i havn't been able to find out anything about it. .
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I played the smac demo and it sucked.I hated it and i am not buying smac.Now i moved on to CTP it looks better and i think it is better.I totaly underestimated the potential of CTP.Now i know that it could be a great game.

I use to be a smac fanatic but now i saw the light.

Comment

I played the SMAC demo and it rocked. I loved it and therefore am buying SMAC. Now I moved off CtP as it seems like a flop. I totaly underestimated the potential of SMAC. Now I realize that it could be the next GREAT game. I used to be a CtP fanatic but now I've seen the light.:-)
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I think you need a smac upside the head.

Comment

Oh, I get it! You said the same thing as Domk but switched the words CTP and SMAC! That was pretty cool.

In case you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic.

Comment

I will tell you why I am not going to buy SMAC or whatever the hell you want to call it. Activision is giving me a free copy of Call to Power. Now if i were to be given a free copy of SMAC, then I would have to play it too. Money makes the world go 'round my friends.

Ok Ok, I would have bought CTP anyway. It is going to be awesome!

Comment

So what did you people not like about the game? It had the magic spark of CivII in a new setting with cool units and fantastic mood.:-)
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

All true, minus the magic spark and the fantastic mood part. It was like playing a not so imaginative conversion. Like in QuakeII where people could make conversions, and they are only cool for a little bit because it is a change from the regular game. A week later you have to reinstall QuakeII to get that stuff off.

Comment

This is all moot before the actual games come out.

Comment

Seems to me this is the "Civ comparison" section of the forum, and thus Mr Reynolds has every right to make his case. He makes a has a good point. It would not take much, an improperly balanced Wonder, or a poor unit or two to make CTP (or SMAC) unaddictive. Without playing the games, comparison of the teams behind them is logical. I don't buy many games, I bought CIV II, but so far I don't think I'll buy either sequel, at least for quite a while after release.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

In another thread, MarkG said Gamestats allows only one advertisement per page. :>

Comment

OK, Bri. Here is my take, which I also tried putting out to you guys on the old preUBB firaxis board.

Imagine George Lucas with those same copyright infringement problems...deciding that he would try to cash in on the Star Wars mystique by putting Alec Guiness and Mark Hamill into a Wild West "revolution." Well despite the legal and ethical concerns, (Don't tell me you can't think of them) the biggest concern from an artistic standpoint is the dynamic tension between the desire to feed off Star Wars popularity in Western drag and to properly explore the novel possibilities of a Western story. Get my drift?

Comment

I think that Mr. Reynolds is just afraid that CTP might just be a good product and his ego can't stand the thought. I too will probably buy both to make my own comparisions, but I think we would all expect much higher standards from SMAC because of their long pedigree in the genre, but I secretly think it'll just be a re-hash of Civ (albeit a prettified and playable re-hash), whilst I'm hoping that CTP will be more original in game concepts.

Honestly: learn from each other. You're essentially both approaching the same problem from different angles. Both can be equally valid. Just be honest enough to admit that some of your ideas may be less than perfect in comparison to another's
                              "I didn't invent these rules, I'm just going to use them against you."

Comment

Everyone, Bryan has fled the thread due to overwhelming hatred and overpowering oppostion.

H\Who wants to follow bryan Reynolds after he insulted CTP. I will never by that game, I will never by a Sid Meier/Bryan Reynolds game again.

Metat, Red Trotskyite, Colon, Beefcake, Quintirus, Robi, YYYH, and all members of this forum who appose Bryan Reynolds, let us unite against the common threat, Alpha Centurian.
                                Clovis Roi de Frankterre, Allemagne, Frisia, et Aquitaine.

Comment

Working...
                                X