Alpha Centauri / Call to Power: My opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey ! Colonization is a great game !
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Like Mentat said, a new face can be a good thing sometimes. Look at the first person shooter genre, Doom really broke through with the modern concept of the game, but later styles added to it - heck, Half-Life, which is being billed as revolutionary and one of the all-time best games, is that developers first foray into the shooter genre - look how well they did. Nobody that I can see is questioning Half-Life because it didn't come from id software.
      Anyway, I'm buying both the day they come out. They are both going to kick ass, and for their own unique reasons.

Comment

This is true, Q.

If anything, as I said, I hope they'll both be great. The more Civs the merrier!

Anyway, of course Reynolds could screw up and SMAC could wind up stinky. The same applies to Activision and CTP. And asides from, what, a few screenshots, I have very little to base any opinions on for either game. Until I get my grubby paws on 'em I'll remain neutral... sorta

I guess I'm partial to SMAC, primarily because it comes out in a month and I'm going through Turn-Based withdrawal right now. ("Real-Time Strategy" my foot. I want REAL strategy darnnit!)

Comment

Yikes, posting in a row... but I forgot a point and need to bring it up.

Q, the reason I use the term "Masters at the Genre" is because, well, Civilization games and Turn-Based games as a whole are few and far apart. Master of Orion II, which would now be considered a dinosaur, is still one of the more recent of Civ-Games.

Thus, while games do change swiftly, there aren't many TB games out there to change the genre all that often, sadly

Comment

While I'm surprised as well, in no way was that a flame or a diss of CTP. He simply said that it was unproven. And yes, we have some SMAC fanatics, but you have some CTP fanatics. So I think it's equal.
            All syllogisms have three parts.
            Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I just got through catching up with this thread. I must say, I found Brian Reynolds' post remarkable. Remarkable for its arrogance and presumptiousness. And it surprised me because in a previous post he seemed to, at least externally, remove himself from the childish BRAC-CTP feud.

It's quite natural that one might think the game they, along with many others, are working on, is best. And there is nothing wrong with that at all, I expect undoubtedly CTP designers think their game design is best too. It's all well and good to have pride in ones creation and work.

But this post of Mr. Reynold's is clearly nothing more than a thinly veiled publicity ploy, or in other words, an ADVERTISEMENT.

As such, it's, quite frankly, offensive.

And certainly not even a genuine attempt to argue in favour of BRAC in its own merits, but rather on ridiculous supposed inadequacies in CTP. Supposed on no legitimate basis whatsoever. It doesn't criticize elements like the Park Ranger for a name that's too far out there, or any other specific element.

Rather, it makes a blanket statement that simply asserts BRAC will probably be better because its designers are better.

The arrogance of it all.

Mr. Reynolds compares his team to George Lucas, and pats himself on the back more than once. At the same time he insults the CTP team. That's really unfair, since neither product can be judged yet and thus the comments serve nothing but afore mentioned publicity scheming.

As someone mentioned, the CTP team has nothing whatsoever to do with the legal wrangling that the Corporate Bosses in Microprose and Activision went through with each other.

The analaogy, therefore, with George Lucas' Star Wars movies and a hypothetical third party Star Wars movie-team is false. Some Activision executive or other big wig sat down and said, "we'd make more profit ultimately with the Civilization name," they did what they had to in order to get the name, and got it.

That's Capitalism, and the CTP team, while they may or may not support Activision's taking of the Civilization name, is removed from it.

That is not to say I blindly defend the CTP team in anything they do. I barely know anyone on the CTP team, only Lt. John posts here once and awhile, and while he is polite, I don't know him on anything resembling a personal level.

However, I'll shoot down unfair remarks as I see them. And boy do I see them.

Mr. Reynolds speaks of the "marketing hype" he has supposedly "wad[ed] through," then procedes to write a hyped-up advertisement in favour of his game.

Mr. Reynolds suggests a wait and see approach with CTP, but a blind-loyalty appraoch with BRAC, an obvious double standard (which he admits, on account of his bias). It's all very subtle of course, it's meant to be, this is Brian Reynolds, not one of his wacked out drones like Imran . He has to be presuasive.

Mr. Reynolds says --Alpha Centauri will combine fresh new subject matter with the experience of the team which created both of the original Civ products. We know a lot about balancing these kinds of games and creating AI to make them challenging, and we've got a demo coming out this week to prove our point.--

This reads like a very thinly disguised marketing statement, I wouldn't be surprised was cleared and polished by a Firaxis PR. It could just as easily have been posted on alphacentauri.com.

He then speaks to the CTP team as a parent lecturing a group of children. The CTP team, I'm rather sure, are all grown adults and while they may not have all of the genre experience of Brian Reynolds "the Great" they certainly don't need to be lectured by Mr. Reynolds in the belittling way he sees fit to treat them.

Then he procedes to make statements that accuse CTP's AI and balancing of being "worse" (than what isn't specified, although I'm inclined to assume he meant CivII, which is a grave insult, because CivII's AI was, in a word, horrid).

These statements, if they had been made by an ordinary person, and not Mr. Reynolds, would gain, I'm quite sure, universal condemnation from people following CTP as being premature since the game engine hasn't even been released in a demo yet.

But, seeing as this is the "great" Brian Reynolds, and he certainly seems to consider himself as such, his comments are taken seriously by a great many people who otherwise wouldn't give them a second thought. It's depressing that someone could generate such a divine-like respect over so many people simply due to involvement with a popular game; but even more depressing that this person would exploit that fact and use it to try to make more sales.

And in this very same post Mr. Reynolds says to take a wait and see attitude with CTP.

Well, Mr. Reynolds, one cannot wait and see with CTP as you say we should do while at the same time making negative assumptions about AI and game balancing with the only "evidence" being an increase in units. That's obvious hypocrisy on your part. I'm not so gullible as to swallow it either and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

Mr. Reynolds says --I openly and freely admit my bias and vested interest in the matter...--

This is key, because here not only is his biased conceded, but his "vested interest," that being pawning BRAC. Revealing this post for what it really is, a very offensive and thinly veiled marketing advertisement on a CTP forum.

He says --but I think it is fair for me to make the case that Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is the game being created by the team which brought you your earlier favorites.--

If this, Mr. Reynolds, was a Court of Law, and a jury had to decide which was better, CTP or Alpha Centauri, you can be quite assured, that "[this] is the game being created by the team which brought you your earlier favorites," would not hold water, would not win you your 'case,' and would probably be objected to on the grounds of irrelevancy.

Red Trotskyite,
              POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Comment

An Addendum

Imran: --Ahhhh! Brian Reynolds, Brian Reynolds!! I agree with the man, I must wait and see about CTP, if I did come off as a brat, I do apologize, but this is what I was really meaning to say, its just that Mr. Reynolds is sooooo much more eloquent that me.--

Ohhhhh! Mr. Reynolds, Mr. Reynolds! Posting on the forum! I'm such a mess, hang on while I change into something more fit for the occasion. *changing into business suit* Oh Mr. Reynolds, with your wonderful way of arguing illogical points, but you do it so much better than I do!

Everything you do is just so graceful, so swanlike. You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...

Imran, get it over with and propose to the man already, none of us are getting any younger.

Red Trotskyite,
                POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Comment

Lets get CTP's director Cecilia Barajas, armed with a Park Ranger's nano bomb, and Brian Reynolds, armed with a SMAC laser, in the same room. See who comes out. The funny thing is, if SMAC was being developed by anyone else, we wouldn't even have these discussions.

"I will not bow down to the false god, Sid."
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I respected you Brian but now you just seem like a looser! LT John and all the other Activisiion people are looking forward to your game but here you come dissing a game that could be better than SMAC. I know people will say how a game with a unit like the abolitionist(sp?) can be good but what Activision is bring the real world into their game.

Brisn why did you come here anyways? Everyone here is going to buy SMAC right away. Most of the people here are going to buy CTP right away too because both games have amazing qualities. Also what gave you the idea that CTP is not going to be good as SMAC?

LT John why don't you go over to the SMAC forums and rave about CTP?

To answer my question(even though I'm not LT John) he wouldn't, he's to nice and he also both games are going to be great. He doesn't need to go to SMAC forums to support Activision's CTP because he knows its going to be great hopefully as good as SMAC looks right now.

fred

P.S. Brian don't come to these forums if you are going to put down a great game like CTP!
                    i am the great one:)
                    and leader of the cow cult

Comment

If Brian Reynolds is George Lucas, Li(ttle)eutennant John is Patrick Stewart!:-)
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Sheesh, while people in Civ forums are definetly more mature than RT"S" and Action gamers I do see a similiarity in "LET'S DRAG OUT A REALLY BIG AND STUPID FUED OVER SOMETHING POINTLESS" ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I love to debate and argue. But Reynolds is just one man. He is not the personification of Firaxis or SMAC. He's just a capitalist guy who is producing the game.

If people like Imran and whatnot are going to debate about something stupid, atleast go back to the mind-numbing "CTP vs. SMAC" thing. To have a flame-war escalate (as I'm sure will happen when a couple of Brian-Fanatics see this post) from a singular post, veieled attack and bias aside, is just laughable.

Reynolds spoke against CTP. He supported SMAC. The clouds have parted and, lo, our God has spoken in blasphemy! Now those who support CTP must wield the blades of flame as shall those on the side of Reynolds and an epic battle shall ensue in which no man or woman shall emerge.

Sorry folks, Reynolds ain't God. He is not going to be perfect. If he makes an attack? Fine. I do that to the Babylonians all the time with Nuclear Missles.

Aslong as I can get my hands on SMAC and CTP to play against the AI and other people I'm happy.

Comment

Of course, he is going to biased, but good points are brought out by his argument. This group is untested in the TBS realm. And, because of the hostile reaction I have recieved, I might not get CTP now. You people have turned me off of it. I know that is not a good reason, but it is reason enough for me. So, for the forseeable future, starting tomarrow, I'll be playing SMAC.

Imran Siddiqui
                          God Bless America
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Jeez, this is childish, man !
                            Instead of squabling what game is best just buy both ! I don't think these games are created to make two "clans" who are fighting eachother all the time.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Stop the violence! This East Coast/West Coast rap rivalry must end. Oh, wait, wrong forum. ;-)

Well, I think this rivalry is the best thing that could ever happen to the world of Civ. It is indeed a compliment to the original designers that there is room for 3 different companies to develop them game, each with a distinct style and flavor to it. Although it doesn't look like Microprose is making much noise right now with Test of Time. Maybe they suprise us, and pull off something spectacular, and blow everybody away.

Anyway, look what happened to the rap industry, for example--Biggie Smalls/Puff Daddy's East Coast group vs. 2Pac/Suge Knight's West Coast crew. Although both stars died tragically, the rivalry between the groups helped push rap sales higher and higher for both camps. Some analysts wonder how much "artificial" rivalry there is sometimes in the hip-hop world, because it's such an effective marketing tactic.

We also see this in professional wrestling. I stopped watching years ago, because it got boring. But now, with Ted Turner's WCW, WWF has a rival, and both compete so hard against one another that they both get more and more entertaining and innovative. But each has a distinct style and selling point that makes them worth watching. If it wasn't for the rivalry, I think alot of people wouldn't be watching the product because it would have probably gone stale (it did).

Not coincidentally, both shows have grown tremendously, since the new wrestling show was introduced. So there is room for both.

But the key is when people are passionate about a product, as we have definately seen here. If the product isn't good enough, people won't care one way or the other.
                              But that we can argue over which is better,
                              even though we haven't played both, speaks
                              for the quality that we anticipate.

So I say hurray for this rivalry. It is going to make the Civ line better and better for years to come. The products aren't going to get stale, they are only going to get seriously better. I'll buy both.

Civilization truly is the Star Wars of video games.

Thank you Mr. Reynolds for your candid thoughts. I think you should take it as a compliment that another team is also working on your game. And that them developing the game is only going to mutually benefit both companies.

Comment

I'm going to buy both games, though.

Puff Daddy sucks !!!

Scarface Rules !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X