Help Sid - Brainstorm Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Sid - Brainstorm Names

The only way Sid can release a new Civ-game is if he doesn't use the name Civilization. Perhaps YOU have a cool and catchy for the next Civ.

Unpareil
    Megalomania
    Human Spirit
    Dominance
    Earth
    Terra
    Gaea
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Sid Meier's Game.
    Developed by someone else.

Comment

I actually had a conversation with a friend of mine about this just after Sid left Microprose I guess. I think he should use the non-american spelling: "Civilisation" maybe that'd infringe some copyrights or something, but it'd be nice still

Comment

What about CIVIII ? ;-)

Blade Runner
        Blade

Comment

It's irritating as hell when people spell it Civilisation! It's not correct! I am such a freak about these things....

Okay, how about Civilization 3 1/3, the Smell of Mongols?
          The honorary duty of a human being
          is to love, I am human and nothing
          human can be alien to me.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

It's English Lordstone!!

Markos, Apolyton CS

Comment

What do you mean, English? We all speak English here - and Civilization is spelled with a "z"! Of course it's english! If it was french, it'd be zee Ceeveelllliatooo or some weird thingy. Like Antoinette - now that is the most un-phonetic word I've ever seen.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Jeez, Lord, i hope you're kidding. The "s" spelling is the British spelling - just like colour vs. color, and many other small derivations of words.

Comment

I just want to reply to lordstone when he says that in french "civilization" should be something really strange. In fact the spelling is exactly the same as the british's one : civilisation. And for "Antoinette", even if it is a old and ugly name, it is still "phonetic". Just try to get the way we pronounce word when you are learning a new language. And by the way, I agree on Civilisation as being a good name.

Comment

OH! YOU MEAN BRITISH ENGLISH!

Okay I get it now! That was kinda silly of me! Why can't we just unify and decide on one spelling and get it all over with?

I'll be always partial to Civili-z-ation...

Oh, that's cool on how civilisation is civilization in french, too! I like that - simplicity in action! Whatever happened to Esperanto, anyway?

-Maya Angelou

Comment

LOL
                      English is british as I know )) and always was. Maybe it is better rename the language americans speak to "american" and cut off english at all.

Someone I know tried to unify it (was it Webster?) but had no success. Fortunatelly, because then the one of the prettiest and richest language could lose its origins. Maybe it isn't important for you, and of course it is much less important for me, but ask linguists.

Comment

I don't think Webster tried to unify the two dialects of English - he actually tried to drive them apart! I think he produced the first American dictionary shortly after independence and he changed the spelling of the words to give America more of a personal language apart from their hated enemy at that time: England.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

I thought is was just a sign of American lazyness, they dropped a whole lot of letters.

Just kidding.

Maybe they had to change the spelling to make it look like how it sounded when they talked. I saw a British documentary on TLC last night. In one part they were showing some people in SW USA, and they had to put in subtitles, because you couldn't understand a single word these people who grew up speaking English their whole lives were saying. It what quite humourous.

Comment

I had to do the same thing when I saw an documentary about Australia - I had to listen to the people over and over again to figure out what they were saying! I guess there's a lot more dialects to English than we think. I like that - adds some nice rugged character to an otherwise very difficult language.

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Let me correct that. English is one of the hardest languages to pronounce, but it's one of the easiest to write. No genders or inflections. But those silent e's and all those crazy words like ghish could be pronounced as "fish" and all that!

-Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                              X