Clear All

• St Leo
    replied
    Terran Domain

Gaia

Culture and Conflict

Ultimate Purpose

To Rise

SMC III(Sid Meier's CivIII, no copyright infringement)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens

Caves of Steel and Stone

Leave a comment:

• Drakenred
    replied
    or

Manifest Destiny of Man

or Destiny of Man

or Sid Myers Trial of Nations

or have i made my point already?

Leave a comment:

• Drakenred
    replied
    Actualy, Saintly Lion, Sid/Brian need help either coming up with new Games systems that dont look like attempts to "work around" the leagal tecknicalities imposed on them since they Jumped ship and started up Firaxis or get off of their colective (expletative deleted)and REALY DOING the true CivIII. Frankly, if Brian/Sid Realy wanted to do a new "Civ" game he/they would have litlle trouble coming up with a new name. (Sid Myers Manifest Destiny of Nations has a nice ring to it.)

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    Hey Stalker, don't worry about making things off-topic. We won't hurt ya. Maybe just rough u up a little... nah! Just kidding!

The off-topic element of these forums are the cream and butter of this whole forum - we live for off-topicness! Go ahead and make everything off-topic if you want - its a lot of fun!

Leave a comment:

• stalker
    replied
    any language is easy if you have read enough books on that (it's my own experience).
    I know Russian and Georgian perfectly, and am still trying to learn English. I hope with success )

Lord, no genders and inflections (I'm not sure about the second since saw in dictionary) is cool. But TENSES!!! Oh, my God, they make me crazy

It is time to kill me, I see all topic I join becomes off-topic. Sorry.

BTW, I still think the easiest language to learn is Russian (among those three) because rules are work and there aren't so many exludions. Easiest language to write (again 3) is Georgian - what you hear is what you write, no spelling is needed (but damned grammar). All of this don't make English bad or less. Language of Shakespere and Kipling is shining anyway.

Don't beat me hurt please, I'll add something on-topic.

Civilinations for example.

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    Let me correct that. English is one of the hardest languages to pronounce, but it's one of the easiest to write. No genders or inflections. But those silent e's and all those crazy words like ghish could be pronounced as "fish" and all that!

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    I had to do the same thing when I saw an documentary about Australia - I had to listen to the people over and over again to figure out what they were saying! I guess there's a lot more dialects to English than we think. I like that - adds some nice rugged character to an otherwise very difficult language.

Leave a comment:

• Chuckles
    replied
    I thought is was just a sign of American lazyness, they dropped a whole lot of letters.

Just kidding.

Maybe they had to change the spelling to make it look like how it sounded when they talked. I saw a British documentary on TLC last night. In one part they were showing some people in SW USA, and they had to put in subtitles, because you couldn't understand a single word these people who grew up speaking English their whole lives were saying. It what quite humourous.

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    I don't think Webster tried to unify the two dialects of English - he actually tried to drive them apart! I think he produced the first American dictionary shortly after independence and he changed the spelling of the words to give America more of a personal language apart from their hated enemy at that time: England.

Leave a comment:

• stalker
    replied
    LOL
    English is british as I know )) and always was. Maybe it is better rename the language americans speak to "american" and cut off english at all.

Someone I know tried to unify it (was it Webster?) but had no success. Fortunatelly, because then the one of the prettiest and richest language could lose its origins. Maybe it isn't important for you, and of course it is much less important for me, but ask linguists.

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    OH! YOU MEAN BRITISH ENGLISH!

Okay I get it now! That was kinda silly of me! Why can't we just unify and decide on one spelling and get it all over with?

I'll be always partial to Civili-z-ation...

Oh, that's cool on how civilisation is civilization in french, too! I like that - simplicity in action! Whatever happened to Esperanto, anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Drizzt
    replied
    I just want to reply to lordstone when he says that in french "civilization" should be something really strange. In fact the spelling is exactly the same as the british's one : civilisation. And for "Antoinette", even if it is a old and ugly name, it is still "phonetic". Just try to get the way we pronounce word when you are learning a new language. And by the way, I agree on Civilisation as being a good name.

Leave a comment:

• Robi
    replied
    Jeez, Lord, i hope you're kidding. The "s" spelling is the British spelling - just like colour vs. color, and many other small derivations of words.

Leave a comment:

• LordStone1
    replied
    What do you mean, English? We all speak English here - and Civilization is spelled with a "z"! Of course it's english! If it was french, it'd be zee Ceeveelllliatooo or some weird thingy. Like Antoinette - now that is the most un-phonetic word I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    It's English Lordstone!!

Markos, Apolyton CS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X