No announcement yet.

Galactic Overlord - Signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expanding is not as powerful as you think, as the cost of a base means you are lowering your defenses seriously. 16 BPs buys you 3 Titans! There was also a cap of 6 (built) bases suggested - with any number captured, of course.
    However, it takes 5 bases to be able to build Titans.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Is there some hidden advantage to using the bigger ships?
      At the moment the cost scales in direct proportion to the number of weapons they carry, the cost to repair damaged ships is the same as the build cost for an equivalent number of weapon factors and damaged ships can't be used in combat ...
      Not only that but with only one combat round, per se, you don't preserve weapon factors in a single battle by taking damage to a larger ship as opposed to losing smaller ships.
      There doesn't seem to be any point at all in building cruisers or above.

Perhaps repair costs could amount to half of the build cost and damaged ships should be allowed to use half of their weapon factors?

Comment

The advantages are simply more survivalbilty, and better value repairs.

All repairs cost 1 BP, whether you're fixing a cruiser or a titan. The bigger the ship, the less likely it will be destroyed, and the more economical it is to repair.

The disadvantage is a loss in flexibility.

So the advantages are small, but in general the large ships are slightly better to have than the smaller ships.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Ah. Understood. Didn't realise repair costs were 1 BP for everything.

So the only really pointless ship then is the cruiser?

ie: You can't use it when it's damaged and the 1 BP rebuild cost (in addition to losing the 1 hp in battle) is identical to the cost of replacing a frigate.

Comment

Now I don't understand the rules any more.

Jam, could you please wait until tomorrow afternoon? If not, feel free to substitute me with Doc or someone else.

Comment

Use Spy : If you have a Spy you may stop one of your opponents orders that turn being exectuted.

This stops normal orders only or all orders?

My orders are in now.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Has anyone used the

Code:
                Someone set us up the bomb - All your base are belong to us
                joke yet?
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Quick question: are ships automatically repaired if you have BPs? Because I can't see any repair orders on the list
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Build Ships/Bases : You may spend your BPs or stockpile them for later. Ships built that turn may be used for attack and defence, Bases built may be destroyed that turn. Damaged Ships may be fully repaired for a cost of 1 BP (Now you see why big ships are good)

Its part of the build ships/bases order.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky is reading the rules

Spy stops Attack, Rebuild Shield & Train Spy only.

Ok, I have prebuild orders from everyone except Ljcvekto and Spaced (although Spaced has sent me his Base names.)

So the only really pointless ship then is the cruiser?

ie: You can't use it when it's damaged and the 1 BP rebuild cost (in addition to losing the 1 hp in battle) is identical to the cost of replacing a frigate.
                      Well... except that 1 BP build cost is putting 2 guns on the field, whereas replacing a frigate only puts 1 gun into battle for the same cost.

Everyone has till this afternoon (about 1-2pm GMT) to get the prebuilds in. For your information the most popular ship so far is the ********, but by a tiny margin

Actually, scrap that. Let's start at around lunchtime, and those that didn't send prebuild orders havn't lost out, as they can use their 20 BPs in the first turn to build stuff.

Good plan.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

1 cruiser. Take one damage. You now need to spend 1 BC to get 2 attack points into a battle or no BC for 0 attack points.
                        2 frigates. Take one damage. You now need to spend 1 BC to get 2 attack points into a battle or no BC for 1 attack point.

Cruisers are teh suck.

Comment

Titans are teh 1337, on the other hand.

Can I have the purple-coloured bases please Mr Jamski, please!
                          And this may be stating the obvious, but can you please post the new thread once you've got your star map finished, and put all of the (heavily amended) rules as the first post. (please)

Comment

I will do and I will do. Colours are already applied for everyone, and put on the map (I made all the graphics myself! Oooh! Even the stars!) so you'll get what you're given.

Titans are indeed the 1337

I've made a set of Galactic Overlordtm avatars if anyone wants one.

Here's an example :

-Jam
                            Last edited by Jamski; May 26, 2004, 05:23.

Comment

Base names:

Base 1, Base 2, Base 3.

Comment

Heh - I already called your bases that

Another try at attaching the right example :

-Jam
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X