Galactic Overlord - Signup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    Agreed. For reporting to the public, only numbers and types of ships should be named. There needs to be a way to destroy more than one base each turn though, or otherwise the first fights will always end in a stalemate.
    Once you start to take out some of the other bases, then you will be able to expend less per turn on building new ships, and be able to start with new bases. This will mean that it will be difficult to stop someone once they have got a little bit ahead, but that this person will also be a target for all of the others, regardless of what alliances they have made or broken. This game is like a fancier version of Diplomacy, but without the complex map.

It will be hard to get a start going, so alliances will be important early on, especially if it becomes clear that someone is building up extra bases quickly. They will become a target for the others equally quickly. Jam, can we have it that if a base is unsuccessfully defended then it will produce no BPs that turn, but will not be demolished until directly attacked with no defence.

Comment

We need to make it easier to destroy bases, not harder!

Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. You attack the next turn and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make...

I say you should be able to wipe out 1 base each attack if you have surviving ships while the enemy doesn't. If you have Dre or ***'s ( ! ) then you should be able to wipe out 2 bases each successful attack. This will prevent enemies stalling forever regardless of their opposition. Otherwise you would need 2 players to defeat a third, with only 2 players left neither would die.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Ok, secrecy will be applied to fleet lists except for reports of battles.

i.e. Your ships are secret untill you use them.

A bit more work for me, but worth it, I reckon.

Spaced - I was waiting for you

Duck - very good point. Bases to supply only 4 BPs per turn, not 5 is not an ideal solution though - you could use your starting BPs to build an extra base giving you the same problem. Better to increase the cost of a base to 16 BPs, I think. And use a cap of... say... 6 bases?

Skanky - I like the rule if you lost the fight, but not all your ships, then the base just defended supplies no BPs the next turn. This make it harder for the defender to get back on his feet after an attack, and he will be worn down by repeated attacks.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Rule Changes:

A base now costs 16 BPs to build.

Fleets to be kept secret.

A defending fleet that loses (i.e takes more hits than the attacking fleet) saves its home base from destruction. However, that base provides no BPs in the following turn due to collateral damage.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. How do you stop
            Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet. Say you attack someone and wipe out their fleet. They have 3 bases of production with which to make a new fleet...
            from occuring?
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You get BPs per base? I thought it was 5 BPs a turn, regardless of how many you have.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

See above

You attack someone with 3 bases and wipe out their fleet. They now have 2 bases. 2 bases provide 10 BPs, not enough for the new more expensive bases. They try to defend with 10 BPs of ships, but are defeated again, and another base is destroyed...

Say you won the fight in the first turn but didn't destroy the fleet - the next turn they would have 3 bases still - but they would only supply 10 BPs, not the 15 had they been better defended.

Meanwhile, someone is attacking YOUR bases at home

-Jam

Comment

Is it not too late to join now?

If not, I'm in.

Comment

Not to late at all. Read the rules, send the starting fleet, and we shall start whenever we're all ready.

Duke o'York
                    Urban Ranger
                    Skanky Burns
                    Trokair
                    General Ludd
                    Spaced Cowboy
                    Ljcvetko

I'm waiting for fleets from everyone except Duke. Sorry if you already sent plans to build cheap 10 BP bases - they cost 16 BP now. *Shrugs*

I don't plan to change anymore rules now. If they're broken, they're just as broken for all players.

***Important Note***

In the case of someone missing a turn there is no penalty. The BPs are infinitely stockpilable, and their entire fleet is considered to be "on defense" However, you are attacked, and you didn't send an Order of Battle, your entire disorganised fleet will blow each other up and be completely destroyed.

-Jam

Comment

Idea?

If you attack a base that is defended and win...base destroyed.

If you attack a base that is not defended....base captured.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Base captured, but you only get 2 BPs out of it per turn?
                        Logistically, have a supply base at the other side of a galaxy would make it tough to control.
                        You would of course also get the option to raze bases, like in Civ 3.

Maybe, like in Diplomacy, you can only build the top 3 types of spaceship at your original bases. So you can build cruisers and frigates wherever you want, but for anything better, you have to produce them back at home.

And can we have a galaxy map please Jam? Not that it would have much effect on the gameplay, since you can attack anyone from anywhere, but it'd look cool.

Comment

Interesting... but I think I'll wait til the next game to see how it works out.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm not in favour of capturing bases intact... it will be enough to deprive your opponent of them, right?

BUT, I like the idea of capturing damaged goods... hmm... maybe only worth 2 BPs each, and don't count towards bases for the ship-size limit. Yes/no?

As for where ships are produced, in our FTL-travel universe it doesn't matter. They can get anywhere pretty damn fast.

I have starting fleets from Duke and Trokair.

-Jam

Comment

The alliance rules are silly now. If two players attacker the same person without an alliance, they should fight first, then the survivors will engage the defender's fleet.

This will make an alliance important.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why should they fight first? They have no hostile intentions to each other.

Because of the huge size of space, and the long timescale of each turn it is HIGHLY unlikely that the two fleets arrive at the same time in the same place, unless they are allied and cooperate on the attack.

There's no reason people couldn't ally just for a single attack.

-Jam

Comment

Working...
                                X