22. Vovan Pirate Gunner Alive
    23. Pave Pirate Lookout Alive
    24. DrSpike Ship's Doctor Alive
    25. Chaunk Chicken Farmer Alive
    26. Boshko Pirate Storekeeper Alive
    27. FlameFlash Missionary Alive
    28. Duke o'York Captain of the Apolyton Alive
    Prologue

The Island lay like a shimmering green gem, laid about with brilliant golden strands of sand, and lapped by gentle waves of the most celestial blue. The few residents of Port Grog, set at the head of the great bay that formed a natural harbour on the leeward side of the Island, gave thanks everyday for the providence that had brought them to live in such a place, where the sun always shone, the sea was always warm, and the coconuts always ripe.

ADG, one of the Island's fishermen, rowed across Port Grog Bay in his small boat. The day's catch had been good, but as he looked out of the mouth of the bay, towards the great rolling ocean, he fancied he saw a small black smudge on the horizon...

The small town's mayor, a retired sailor from France called Spiffor left his office and left the door unlocked, as he always did. He called to Jon Miller, the town clerk, in the next room.

"Ye may as well leave your labours, monsignor," he said "Tha'll be no more ships come today."

"Aye, mister mayor," replied the clerk, "Weather's turnin' to."

"Captain!" called Jonny "Captian Duke, sir!"

A tall dark figure stood hard by the poop railing, seemingly oblivious to the spray thrown accross the deck of the Apolyton

"Captain!" shouted the ship's mate again "Can ye hear me sir!"
    "Ye'll not get a word from yer Black Duke there," said Zopperoni "He's awful angry about something."

Jonny ignored the captain's servant and climbed onto the aft deck to address the captain personally.

"Aye," muttered Captain Duke, "Aye, she blows tonight!"

"Captain," repeated Jonny, "She'll break her back in these seas, we need to make sail for that island."

"Call all hands to deck, me matie," commanded the Black Duke, "We're a'sailing for port."

The storm hit the Island with unaccostumed force. It was only rarely in FlameFlash's many years working as a missionary amoung the local tribals that he has seen it rain so hard. He was glad to be inside by the warm fire in Rah's Waterfront Bar, drinking a glass of hot grog.

"Land Ho!" screamed Pave from the topgallant mast of the Apolyton.

"Arr," complained Theben, "I din't give up bein' a butcher to go runnin' t'land when t'wind blows."

"Aye," agreed Frozzy, "But after t'last scrap with His Majesty's boys we 'ardly 'ave enough rope to tie round yer finger. We're needing a port bad."

The ship lurched though the heaving seas towards the distant black hump of the Island, her captain unmoving and unflinching on the aft deck as wave after wave washed him with salt.

GhengisFarb cursed and threw his brushes on the floor. Another watercolour painting ruined by the rain. He'd expected to make his fortune painting the local wildlife for sale back home, but his funds had expired to the point were he couldn't even afford to fix the holes in the roof of his shack.

"What's this island we're aimed for, sir?" Kassiopea the cabin boy's high voice carried across the roar of the wind.
    "Let me see, me young lad," said GJRamsey, consulting a large chart, "Well, we're 'ere yesterday, and with the wind from the east like this... oh..."

The old pirate's face went pale.

"What's the matter?" piped Kassi.

GJRamsey shook his head and answered,
    "Its the Island, son, the Island of Death."

"My chickens are all spooked by this storm," complained Chaunk in Rah's Bar.
    "My cattle too," replied Spaced Cowboy

He banged on the bartop

"Whaddya want?" asked Rah, "If its grog ye be after, then ye'll 'ave ta wait on Skanky Burns."

"'E'll not 'ave ta be long in the waiting though," said Skanky Burns rolling a barrel through the bar's doors. "Tha'll be two pieces o'eight, and sixpence for t'weather."

Rah smiled out of the side of his mouth,
    "Aye," he replied, "And I'll take half a shilling for me patience. Them customers 'ave been waiting on grog."

The Apolyton hit the reef with a grinding noise audible even above the raging storm.

"Abandon ship, me maties!" called Vovan, who gave his beloved cannon a last pat before diving overboard.

Tuberski clung grimly to the wheel.
    "I'll try and drive her onto t'beach, sir!" he called "I'll not leave the ship!"

"Are you gone mad?" asked DrSpike "Do you want to die, after all the labours I put into your new leg?"

"Aye," laughed Tuberski "I can't swim with a wooden leg, it floats to the top, and me head goes under!"

"And then," said Father Rasputin, "And then... *hic* ...I don't remember..."
    "Then she was worth every dammned penny!" said Joncha with a laugh.

The villagers were all in Rah's Bar, sheltering from the storm, and partaking of his grog, when Alva came bursting through the door.

"Pirates!" he cried "Pirates in the bay! Form the militia, men!"

The villagers grabbed their cutlasses and pistols and hurried into the storm.

As the Apolyton ground into the sandy beach by Port Grog, Hercules flexed his massive shoulders and heaved the anchor overboard, narrowly missing the small mob that had gathered on the sand.

"Is this the normal way to park our boat?" asked Snowfire, on his first voyage.

"No," said Guynemer, packing his pans into a large sack, "We normally use a dock, and she's a ship, not a boat."

Boshko took the sack and loaded it into one of the crates he'd stood on the deck.
    "We need to get her unloaded before she breaks apart, you lazy dogs!" he cursed, aiming a kick at Snowfire, who dodged and fell overboard into the sand next to Ljcvetko.
    "Ah" said the famous pirate detective, "You seem to have run aground!"

The millita Alva had formed put their weapons away. The few pirates that survived the wreck of the Apolyton only needed a warm bed and a cup of grog, not a bloody fight. They all went to Rah's place to get dry, and talk about what to do next. Only the old log keeper stood a moment by the broken-backed wreck and mumbled to himself.

"We'll be needing that ship, aye that we will, for 'tis the Island of Death, and there be no mistake about it..."

"What's that?" asked Rasputin, "Island of Death?" Nonsense, I've been priest here for 20 years, and never performed more than a dozen funerals."

"Aye," replied GJRamsey, "But what happ't to t'old bugger that were priest before ye?"

He walked off down the beach, leaving a very scared Rasputin behind.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Arrr... I be pimpin' again, it seems.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Of course

The mafia have been informed, and the first death shall fall around 1200 GMT

Be scared, me maties

-Jam
      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Painter
        I'm a "Pirate Painter" blast you!

Comment

Yarrrr! We best be hitting a pleasure vessel soon, me laddies, or the best I can do will be gruel and slop. Yarrrr!
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Hmh? I'm in? Woah. Didn't even notice. Thanks, ljcvetko, Jam.

@ Tuberski and his wooden log. Nice story again. Jamski.

/me walks into Rah's place and heads for the bar.

"Gimme some grog, for I am thirsty!"

/me eyes Joncha

"You got any girls free tonight?"
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

"Yer grog ain't free either, matey."
              /me pours some grog in one of the less-dirty glasses and sends it Vovan's way.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

"Yar, 'tis it girls ye be wanting this time, vovan? We've got some prime livestock in the back for ye... just the way ye likes it. A-yar har har. Give a yell to ole Chaunk, he'll sort ye out good, me matey."

"What's that? Aye, Spaced'll be back thereabouts too, aye."
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  "Yer grog ain't free either, matey."
                  /me drinks the grog

"Tis be fine grog, mate, to quench me thirst."

/me looks around and sees a dirty drunk man sleeping on the floor, leaning against the bar.

/me grabs the man and shakes him. The man doesn't wake, but just mumbles something, and weakly tries to free himself from Vovan's grasp - all without ever waking up. A couple coins roll out from one of his pockets.

/me picks up the coins and slides them across the bar to Skanky.

"There. Fer yer troubles, mate."

/me gets up, hits Joncha on the shoulder in a friendly manner, and walks out.
                  XBox Live: VovanSim
                  xbox.com (login required)
                  Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                  Spore page

Comment

good write-up. nice mix of pirates and village.

checks pockets.....

Comment

Originally posted by vovan
                      "You got any girls free tonight?"
                      Yarr. Talk t' Gfarb, an' chance he'll paint a lovely on yer right 'and.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I be continually amazed at the stories be gad aaarh.
                        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Chapter 1 - The Black Spot

The village of Port Grog awoke under a tropical sun. The violence of the storm had passed, and only the steaming mists rising off the jungle canopies on the steep hills behind the settlement betrayed the weather's former actions, only the rising mist, and the broken wreck of the Apolyton, listing on her port beams on the broad golden sands of the bay, a little water lapping at the holes rent in her hull.

As the sun rose over the calm waters of the bay, the curious hopping figure of Tuberski could be seen slowly navigating the steep path that wound from the village down to the beach, his wooden leg slipping on the slick seaweed and wave-smoothed stones.

"Ahoy there, shipmate!" called Snowfire from the bows of the wreck.

Tuberski shaded his eyes against the reflected sunbeams from the bay, and squinted up at the ship to see Snowfire. The young lad had climbed the anchor chain and was balancing on the steeply tilted decks.

"Ahoy the Apolyton!" replied Tuberski, sadly surveying the damage he had caused by running the ship ashore.

It was not every day that Rah had so many guests for breakfast in his bar. He was kept busy from daybreak cooking eggs, grilling bacon and buttering biscuits for the crew.

"When will ye'll good sirs be leaving us?" inquired the barman.
                          "Not too soon, I'll be trustin'!" exclaimed Joncha, with a pat to his money pouch.

The pirates laughed.

"It depends," said Jonny, "Aye, it'll depend alright on 'ow fast we can get the 'Poly shipshape and floating again."
                          "We'll be needing to get summat to fix it with, sir," commented Vovan, "Boshko, 'e says there's nobut a scrap of timber left in the stores and nary an inch o'good rope."

The pirate mentioned nodded and grinned, showing his gold teeth.

"Aye," said the piratical chandler "We'll be a'needing many things, be we."

Rah rubbed his hands together.
                          "Well, after ye gents 'ave settled the bill for t'night's board, and the fine meals ye're eatin'," he began, "Then 'haps we townsmen can be makin' ye'll a...aaach!"

It was hard for Rah to continue talking with the tip of the Black Duke's rapier under his chin. Alva drew his pistol and pointed it at the captain's head.

"Down your blade, sir!" commanded Alva, "Ye'll not be the first seaman I've taken the bounty on... Black Duke!"

The villagers gasped at the mention of the pirate's name.

"Aye!" continued Alva, "'Tis t'devil hisself, the scourge of the Caribbean."

Behind Alva there was a grating noise as Theben drew his huge serrated cutlass.

"Ye'll not be taking nay bounty on the captain's head," he growled, "He's a fine man, and done us all proud."

He waved the cutlass to indicate the crew.
                          "Aye!" exclaimed Theben, "T'were not for 'im, we'd all be rottin' an' dead in some stinking jail, or on t'bottom of the deeps."

The tension in the bar seemed to relax, and the men put away their weapons.

That afternoon the townsmen watched with curiosity as the pirates began to work on their ship.

"I never realised they were so industrious," observed Spiffor, "Perhaps we should ask them to stay."
                          "Perhaps," replied Rasputin, "We could use their skills with that map of yours..."
                          "Its only half a map," commented Jon Miller, "Even the best pirate can't find his way with half a map."

GhengisFarb called the trio over to his easel.
                          "What do you think?" he asked "I shall name it Sailors Repair the Wreck of the Apolyton. I've got the whole crew in, even the cabin boy and the parrot."

They studied the picture.

"Avast!" said Guynemer, looking at the painting on his way up the cliff path, "What be thar dark shape on t'poop deck?"
                          "Language!" exclaimed FlameFlash.
                          "Ye can only but see it from here sirs," said the ship's cook, peering down at the ship, "Ahoy Kassi, ye lazy swine! What be that thing hard by t'poop!"

The cabin boy crossed the deck and looked at the object in question.
                          "A sack!" he called, "Just a sack!"

"Open it," insisted Ljcvetko, "I want to investigate everything about the wreck."

The sack was opened.

"Arrr!" exclaimed Ljcvetko.
                          "Aieee!" cried Kassiopiea

In the sack was found the wet and naked body of ADG, his only adornment in death a black spot on the palm of his right hand and a look of sadness in his eyes.

The Black Duke nodded to Zopperoni.

"Not one of ours," said the servant, "You villagers shouldn't play around on ships, they can be dangerous."
                          "Chuck 'im in the drink," commented Hercules, "Heave ho!"

Spiffor spoke forcefully,
                          "Stop! I am the law on this island," he said, "And I say to ye, this man was a fisherman, with his own boat, and every day on the waters of this bay."
                          "What say ye?" asked DrSpike, "That this was no happenstance death?"
                          "Aye," replied the mayor, "And by the laws of this island, and the power vested in me by His Majesty, we'll not rest till a death is paid with a death. We'll vote to see who is charged with the guilty deed, be he landsman or sailor."
                          "Avast! Hold ye fast!" The captain's voice was like the sea raging against jagged black rocks, and he turned not to face the gathered men, but spoke as if the sea was his only audience, "Hold ye, I say. If ye'll be wanting to let my crew to hang, then by thunder and damnation, we'll be wanting a say in this business of voting, damn your eyes sir!"

The captain turned to see if he would be answered.

"Very well," replied Spiffor, "So be it."

GJRamsey looked at the dead fisherman with his one good eye.
                          "Aye," he said, "T'Black Spot, t'Island o'Death... 'tis '
                          'ow it started on me first voyage, when I were just your age, lad..."

But the cabin boy had left him alone on the beach.

Time to vote, me hearties!

-Jam

Comment

Another sturdy craft from the pen (er, keyboard?) of Jamski.

I'll do the next game then.

I'm just glad that the mafia didn't kill alva straightaway, because that would have made everyone think it was me. I'll see him walk the plank yet though! Gross insubordination!

Psst, DrSpike. From a medical point of view, will he still die if we walk him from a plank at the top of rah's bar? Or just get very sandy hair?

Comment

great start once again ...... i am in awe of your talent for writing....
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X