This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yarg. Sure, I'm up for another go. Two ideas:

1) I already mentioned a few ideas last thread (although I didn't realize you had already done Mafia Gothica, which was similar to one idea I made), but here's another: a geopolitics/Nuclear War theme (except with Mafia rules, not Nuclear War). Some fiendish (unknown) countries/organizations are slowly offing all their competitors with one space satellite laser / bioweapon release / some other untraceable attack. The international community unites to joint-nuke & attack one suspect a day, raiding the capital with the might of everyone looking for launch codes or some other evidence to stop the nefarious scheme. As a bonus, we can all vote to destroy the Empire of Finlandia in the first round out of spite.

I'd want to play the UN.

2) I don't know how the Internet Mafia games have been played before, but have you considered having a detective character? The clues being offered are an interesting replacement, but there's still not much incentive for Mafia to vote off people who are voting at them, one classic "tell" of a Mafia member before. I mean, there's no guarantee they'll keep at it. If a detective character can investigate a character at night and find out if they're Mafia or not, then Mafia characters have a tendency to get worried about people accusing them. If they off too many who randomly accuse them, then they're giving themselves away; if they let the detective live, he may find all the Mafia, declare that he's the detective and who each Mafia is, and have all the Mafia be doomed.

Of course, the main problem with this is that in real life, the Detective can't openly say who he is without instantly being slain by the Mafia the next round, so he has to kind of discreetly inject suspicion of people who are Mafia into the discussion (as well as point discussion away from people who are clear). On the other hand, if he's not open with his thoughts and he gets killed (Especially at night, but also during the day), then he wasn't much help. However, unlike in real life, there's no way to stop a dead person from talking online. In other words, a seemingly normal player who accused 3 people casually is killed at night, and was the detective. In a real-life game, he has to shut up, since he's dead. There's nothing stopping people online, though, from posting or PMing to other citizens his findings. Only way I can think of to stop this is just have the detective agree to be honorable about it.

Also, the existence of a detective does make the Mafia weaker. If the Mafia was working together (i.e. knew who else was Mafia), that might strengthen them enough in response; that or making the detective's ability unreliable (on an innocent person, get 80% chance of confirmaiton of innocence; on a Mafia member, nothing. So if you get nothing, maaaaaaaybe it's a Mafia, maybe not.).
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I'm in. Please sign up vovan too.

Comment

Comment

Mich! Mich in Spiele! Sign mich!
          The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn.
          - Chuck Norris Facts

Comment

In.

Comment

Glad to see you were able to make it.

Now if only your orders for gladiator could also somehow be
              Originally posted by DrSpike
              In.

Comment

They will be, stop nagging.

Comment

Nag nag nag nag nag!

Send them in!
                  Play hangman.

Comment

ooooh me! me!
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Two slots left.

1. ADG
                      2. rah
                      3. Kassiopeia
                      4. GhengisFarb
                      5. Theben
                      6. Zopperoni
                      7. Jonny
                      8. Chaunk
                      9. Spaced Cowboy
                      10. Joncha
                      11. Rasputin
                      12. alva
                      13. Jon Miller
                      14. Guynemer
                      15. Spiffor
                      16. gjramsey
                      17. Hercules
                      18. Tuberski
                      19. Skanky Burns
                      20. SnowFire
                      21. ljcvetko
                      22. vovan (signed up by ljcvetko)
                      23. Pave
                      24. DrSpike
                      25. Chaunk
                      26. Boshko
                      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Me! Me! Pick me!
                        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Originally posted by ljcvetko
                          I'm in. Please sign up vovan too.
                          Ah, now Snowfire concerns about having a detective are solved.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yeah, I guess a half-wit (0.5) detective round ups to a normal one.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Don't forget Duck wanted in too. (Duke o'York, that is)

-Jam
                              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

And that makes the 28

So, ideas for a setting? We have an expedition idea that didin't get used, we have the UN idea, we ALWAYS have the little peaceful villgae as a backup... any more, anyone?

As for a detective - nice idea, but the mafia has a hard enough time anyway, even if everyone votes at random their chances of winning are slim. A mafia's best chance is always to somehow make somebody else look guilty

So, get your ideas ready, the mafia will be informed soon, I'll work on some even more fiendish clues, and the game will probably have a Sunday night/Monday morning start.

-Jam
                                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Working...
                                X