Board games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board games

I'm trying to decide what sort of board game I want to get. I've played Settlers of Catan, and enjoyed it, but I hear that there are a lot of other excellent games coming out of Germany these days. Anybody familiar with any of them? Are any of them better/worse than Settlers?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Sounds like you have your heart set on a civ/strategy type game. This isn't a game like that, but it's a good game all the same - Cranium.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I've got Cranium already and it's cool, but yeah, I'd rather something more civish. My roommate loves Risk, and I wanted to get something a little along those lines to add some variety.

Comment

Shogun is excellent, also available under the name Samurai

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Oh yeah, my brother used to play that. I think I might even have a copy at my parents house. It's something like Axis and Allies, right?

Comment

Its not really a war game, more a pure strategy game, that pretends to be a bit about warfare in feudal Japan.

-Jam
            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Ah cool. In any event I'll look and see if we still have it.

Comment

There's some old boardgame threads around here with a lot of suggestions in if you want to search. The Germans definitely seem to be producing the finest pure strategy games these days. Their home market for them is huge.

Euphrates & Tigris is probably my favourite one after Settlers. El Grande is another.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

Yeah, I'm sure there are some old board game threads. But then if I looked in those, nobody would get the +1.

Consider this a public service. And I'll look into those that you mentioned.

Comment

SCRABBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    scrabble!!!!!!!!!!1
                    There was an ok game called scotland yard that i used to have, you have to track one player through london, but you can't see all of his moves. Kind of hard to explain, but probably would be enjoyable to Mornington Crescent Players.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

The Germans definitely seem to be producing the finest pure strategy games these days. Their home market for them is huge.
                      So true. We meet twice a week to eat dinner (taking turns to cook) and play board games, and someone from the group (a nicely balanced 6 girls and 5 guys) seems to have a new game every week

Ah! The boardgames paradise! And you thought it was all bratwurst and lederhosen here

-Jam

Comment

My roomate's a gamer, so we get along great.

He likes Axis and Allies, to which we have yet to get in a game, since he is still trying to finish off an earlier one.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ah, Axis and Allies, a classic.

Comment

The only thing I don't like about most board games is that they rely on chance too much. I prefer chess - now there's a real game of strategy.
                            ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                            ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Anybody played Carcassonne? That's a fun, German game
                              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                              X