Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you try the compatibility mode?

Comment

Yep... but I have yet to find a game where the compatibility mode actually makes a difference...
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I've had a few games where the compatibility mode made a difference.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

cheers for the info Skanky So is it worth playing the game with out the patches?

And boo-his for XP [although friends who use it say its the best so far.....as long as your not a Dos runner]
          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
            THe economic part sounds cool, but what is EU?
            1. The economic part includes a multistep economic model - in Imp 2, you need bronze, iron or steel, plus people to build most military units, and wood plus cloth plus people to build sailing ships, and wood plus metal plus coal (IIRC) to build steam ships. To build civilian units (engineers, spies, etc) you need people plus paper (for training) To get steel you need iron plus coal plus labor. For Wood or paper you need timber plus paper. Labor and military units require food for support. Labor can be trained up to higher productivity, but this requires a one shot use of paper and ongoing supplies of luxuries. the amount of raw materials extractable from a province is determined by whats available in that province, the level of development of farms and mines (which require use of engineers, constrained by available tech) and the level of transport development - road, advanced roads, railroads, ports. Where transport must be by sea, ships must be allocated, leaving less available for trade or war.

in original Imp the model is even MORE complex, as you need to invest in factory expansion, and transport is constrained by available rail cars, which must be built with resources.

Imp 2 while simpler in this regard, is more complex in that it has a new world and old world with distinct economic resources, and distinct political options.

Despite the above detail, the economies in both games are STILL somewhat abstract, as it is assumed that almost all manufacturing takes place in the capital (in orignal Imp i think it IS all, while in Imp2 there is a town development tech that generates basic manufactured items in developed towns that are capitals of provinces with sufficient raw materials)

Europa Universalis has, IIUC, a somewhat simpler (though still fairly complex) economic model, but it also has a fairly complext domestic stability model, involving religion, culture, taxation, centralization, revolts, stability levels, war weariness, etc.

No option to be commie though. Victoria, the successor to EU covering the industrial era, of course does have such options.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I would put on the top (they are still on my computer):
              - Panzer General: I still play it from time to time.
              - X-Com: my pc seems now too fast for it.
              - Doom2: I played it far too much. I was once able to reach - and die there - the level 25 (Bloodfall) in one go, hurt-me-plenty, no save, no reload, no pause. Today, such a long game would be too tiring. Recently, I barely reached the level 10 (Refueling base). So beating level 25 would require ALOT of training.
              The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Civ1 is my favorite dos game of course!

Comment

Civ1 took most of my time and was my favourite but I have fond memories of Xenon, DukeNukem1 (1st episode only), UFO: Tftd, Crystal caves etc.

some more that I can remember playing: Prehistoric 2, Commander Keen 3-6, gpEGA (formula 1), Settlers 1

Comment

Accolade

Comment

Wait didn't they make Deadlock?

Comment

Originally posted by Dry
                        - Doom2: I played it far too much. I was once able to reach - and die there - the level 25 (Bloodfall) in one go, hurt-me-plenty, no save, no reload, no pause. Today, such a long game would be too tiring. Recently, I barely reached the level 10 (Refueling base). So beating level 25 would require ALOT of training.
                        just curious - how long did it use to take you to goto 25? btw, there are tons of lmps(doom demos) where people ironman through on the harder difficulty levels.

Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by pg
                          just curious - how long did it use to take you to goto 25? btw, there are tons of lmps(doom demos) where people ironman through on the harder difficulty levels.

http://competn.cjb.net/
                          To train until being able to do it: years (I would say 2 or 3 years).
                          To play it, I don't remember exactly, but something like 2 hours. There are places where you have to take your time: kill the guys with the chainsaw one by one to save ammo.
                          I remember that when I played well (level 15-20, I would say), I could play only 2 games per evening.

To be honest I must say I did it once. And i was very lucky that evening.
                          I only remember the low levels (it's more something like 7-8 years ago now, sorry).
                          The problem is that they are killer levels. If you beat them, you are good for 3-4 more levels without big problems.
                          My first killer is the end of level 7 (not sure?) where you have to run on blocks that sink.
                          Level 9 &10 (The pit, refueling base) are tricky for the lack of ammo at the end of 10.
                          Then the level 11 ('O' of destruction), depending on how well you saved your ammo on, 9 & 10 is a second killer for me.
                          After that, I don't remember exactly, but there is some where the problem is to remember where the teleporters bring you or where the keys are.
                          And then the last killing serie is the 23 (Barrel's O' fun), 24 (the chasm), and 25 (Bloodfall).

It was my dream to be able to produce such a demo, but each time I recorded a game I was always doing worse than usual (the stress?).
                          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Working...
                          X