All purpose Panzer General thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeBro
    I just won it decisively - as you said the campaign is over now.
    Congratulations
    Now, if you want a bit more of a challenge:
    Torch and Cobra as Germans
    Kharkov and Kursk as Russians.
    Have fun!
    It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

• Originally posted by ErikM

Congratulations
      Now, if you want a bit more of a challenge:
      Torch and Cobra as Germans
      Kharkov and Kursk as Russians.
      Have fun!
      I did once play through all 40 odd Allied General scenarios as the Germans and managed to win them all. Most are fairly easy due to the way victory is decided. The hardest is Lake Balaton where it is tough to hold off the Russians from the objectives they need. Cobra was quite hard IIRC but Torch wasn't.
      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

• I'm talking about PG1 scenarios, though
        It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

• Originally posted by ErikM
          I'm talking about PG1 scenarios, though
          I realise that. It is quite interesting to compare equivalent scenarios from PG1 and AG because they haven't simply repeated them. The units and sometimes the maps aren't the same.

I'm now playing through the British campaign in AG, currently at Sicily. Either I'm not as good as I used to be or the AI is smarter because some of the scenarios have been hard to do in the turns allowed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin

I agree with you I played two days ago the Ardennes scenario in PG1 and was caught by surprise by an allied armored counter offensive against a two hex city in the southern part of the map that was lightly defended by two infrantry and one artillery units.

But IMO the fog of war kind of removes a strategical element in the game. For example, my units were organized in Kampfgruppe and the computer AI used the hexes seperating my combat groups to infiltrate an artillery unit and catch some cities behind my lines, a tactic I find a bit dubious.
            well yeah there are cheesey things that you or the AI can do, but generally FOW adds strategic elements. In PG2 it means i have to decide whether to move towards a strategic location, VH, town or bridge, straight on, or recon it first. I can use a recon unit, or an air unit like a fighter, or i can move an armoured unit close enough to see but 2 or more hexes away. OTOH if i dont have recon or fighters handy, and need to move fast, i can just go in. Also if i dont know whats there I have to be careful how I attack. Theres an infantry unit in the town - should i send a bomber in to soften it? what if theyre an AA unit right behind? How urgent is it to take the town fast, can i afford to wait to be more fully informed?

re board games - IIRC AH's 1914 tried to implement FOW by having players make "moves" on paper, and only put "located units" on the board, all to be coordinated by a 3rd player/referee. Doubt many people actually did that. But Board game designers always knew FOW was more realistic, and was the real reason for the existence of some historic units, but was simply too hard to implement before PC's.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• BTW, it seems that all the scenarios in PG2 campaisgns are designed for the human player to be playing offense, and the computer to be playing defense. I presume this was done to make it easier for the AI, so they just had to focus on designing an AI good at defense.

Is my impression right, and is this true for all the 5 star games?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I know nothing about PG2 but in general the AI sucks at offence more than defence, so it seems a logical choice to make.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  This is more or less the case with all the incarnations of the 5 stars serie games. But whatever the PC game, the AI handles better defensive strategies than offensive ones.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

BTW, it seems that all the scenarios in PG2 campaisgns are designed for the human player to be playing offense, and the computer to be playing defense. I presume this was done to make it easier for the AI, so they just had to focus on designing an AI good at defense.

I have played PG1, AG and PG2 and the AI has trouble on offense in all of them. It is particularly noticeable in AG in the early Russian and North African campaign scenarios.

The real problem is the AI rarely mounts effective co-ordinated attacks with multiple units. The human player can see how to do that several turns ahead but getting the AI to do that seems very difficult.

Comment

• The AI can be tough on defense though.

I played Dessau, and wasnt at all prepared for the advanced (jet?) aircraft. Next time i must use AA more effectively, instead of relying on fighters.

Comment

• I played a bit in the other campaigns of PGI now, and these are generally a bit more challenging than the '39 campaign.

I agree the defensive scns are quite easy, especially when you wait behind the riverlines and kill the enemy when it tries to cross the river with its units. In that way you can defend against overwhelming attacks quite easily.

One scn I particularly liked was Kursk, since here you have to attack against a heavily fortified enemy in the north east and south east of the crescent-like front, but just some turns after the scn started the Russians counter-attack in the west, where you only have weak forces.
                        Blah

Comment

The AI can be tough on defense though.

I played Dessau, and wasnt at all prepared for the advanced (jet?) aircraft. Next time i must use AA more effectively, instead of relying on fighters.
                          That's why I usually drag a few AD units along. They won't destroy enemy aircraft, their purpose is to take the sting out of air attacks on your ground units and to weaken the enemy fighters for your fighters to finish off.

Often the cost of replacements for expensive artillery that you save by AD weakening the enemy air attacks can, over a few battles, more than make up the cost of the AD units to start with. Certainly when you add in the likely reduced losses for your own fighters and the benefits of getting air superiority AD units are well worthwhile.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeBro
                            I played a bit in the other campaigns of PGI now, and these are generally a bit more challenging than the '39 campaign.

I agree the defensive scns are quite easy, especially when you wait behind the riverlines and kill the enemy when it tries to cross the river with its units. In that way you can defend against overwhelming attacks quite easily.
                            I haven't played PG1 enough to have gone through all the scenarios. I do remember Kasserine being tough. I don't think it features in any of the campaigns but is playable as a single scenario. When I tried it the allied forces were overwhelming, particularly in the air. Even Flak 18 AD units didn't help as they simply ran out of ammunition before the allies ran out of planes.

Fighting off the allied invasion of Southern France was quite interesting. Not so hard but you have to withdraw inland out of reach of the allied warships, then counterattack and drive the allies back. If you can wear down the allied air units then even just a couple of JU188 level bombers will deal with the allied navy. Worth playing IMO.

Comment

• There is no Kasserine in PG1. You are probably thinking about Torch. It is good. The toughest scenario for Germans (iirc) is Cobra (Allies breakout from Normandy).

Also, Kharkov, Kursk, and Moscow-43 scenarios in PG1 are very tough for Russians. Basically, in '43 Germans upgrade to new equipment (Tigers, Panthers, Ferdinands) while Russians are still stuck with T34/76, which just does not cause enough damage.

Comment

• well i finally started a campaign on "fair" terms - IE 100% prestige. Started PG2 Soviet campaign, won victory in Saturn on the Chir.

1. Intro text mentions marx and lenin, army of workers and peasants, etc. I really doubt Soviet officers of the time used that rhetoric when giving battle instructions. Detracts a bit from the atmosphere.

2. What the heck do they mean by "Saturn"? The USSR eating its children??? Makes no sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X