No announcement yet.

All purpose Panzer General thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Novogorod was tough the first time. I like going heavy into Artillery so for that I usually have 6 Arty and 4 bombers. I think you have the 5 range arty by then.

I also usually have 1 bridge infantry.
    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader
      Novogorod was tough the first time. I like going heavy into Artillery so for that I usually have 6 Arty and 4 bombers. I think you have the 5 range arty by then.

I also usually have 1 bridge infantry.
      I havent used bridge infantry, though youre right, Novgorod looks like a scen where it would make a big difference.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Novgorod is tough. Be careful with bridge engineers as they are vulnerable to artillery in river hexes and the Soviets have a lot of artillery in this scenario. I find it to be a question of absorbing the initial Soviet attacks then grinding forward and eliminating the artillery. You should then reach a point where you can push forward in the north and mop up in the south. Good tac bombers to destroy the Russian tanks and wear down their artillery are essential, as is reasonable weather!
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Ive finished St. Lo, and won a victory. On to Caen. (were there really US forces at Caen?)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

well i won a BV at Caen. seemed easier than St. Lo.

Comment

I am rediscovering the pleasures of Panzer General 1 and Allied General, two simple and yet entertaining games. These two games have less depht than Panzer General 2 but they are nonethless interesting.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Tamerlin, how did you get PG1 to work? I have Windows ME and PG technically starts but gives me some DOS exception and a blue screen of death every time after 4-5 min of play.
                It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM
                  Tamerlin, how did you get PG1 to work? I have Windows ME and PG technically starts but gives me some DOS exception and a blue screen of death every time after 4-5 min of play.
                  You must have the DOS version of the game. I had some problems with DOS games like Steel Panthers when I was under Win98SE. I had to create a shortcut of the executable and right click on it, select Properties and change the values of the various memories used under DOS. Setting them to maximum could solve your problem.

But IMO it would be easier to download the Win95 version that can be found at the Home of the Lower Canines along with the manual.

For those that are interested, Allied General can be downloaded here:

Last edited by Tamerlin; April 1, 2004, 14:22.
                  "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Just dl-ed the Win version of PG1 as abandonware

Works fine on my Win2k/SP4, only you have to switch your Win display to 256 colors befoire running the game. Same with the Allied Gerneral (win) version they have there.

I'm quite surprised by PG1, never played the first version before (as said only Allied Genral and PGII). I think it is easier than the following versions. Units seem to get experience faster (could be wrong, though). However, still great to play.
                    Last edited by BeBMan; April 1, 2004, 14:25.
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

Just dl-ed the Win version of PG1 as abandonware from

(Edited)

Works fine on my Win2k/SP4, only you have to switch your Win display to 256 colors befoire running the game. Same with the Allied Gerneral (win) version they have there.

I'm quite surprised by PG1, never played the first version before (as said only Allied Genral and PGII). I think it is easier than the following versions. Units seem to get experience faster (could be wrong, though). However, still great to play.
                      no links to them, please - keep th thread alive

Comment

Oops sorry - but I thought abandonware is ok. However, edited out the link in my previous post.
                        Blah

Comment

The other link I have given for Allied General is interesting for WinXP users like me as the website is including a file named Wing32.dll without which the game does not run.

Most of the problems with older games under Win2K and WinXP like Panzer General 1 or Allied General are solved through the Windows Compatibility Utility, right click on the executable and select Windows95 compatibility.

As far as Panzer General II and WinXP are concerned, the CD-ROM folder with the maps must be copied on your Hard Disk Drive in the main folder of the game.

[EDIT]I forgot to mention that once you have copied the maps on your HDD, right click on the maps folder, select Properties and uncheck the "read only" option.[/EDIT]
                          Last edited by Tamerlin; April 1, 2004, 15:30.

Comment

Oops sorry - but I thought abandonware is ok. However, edited out the link in my previous post.
                            To review - the owners of 'poly have specifically banned that site. It includes both games where the publisher has explicity placed the game in the public domain, and those where it has not. In the latter case the owners of that site say they are justified, as they have offered to take any game down if the publisher objects. The publishers say that it is too burdensome to search for such sites, and contact them, and that the burden should be on the site to get explicit permission - silence does not imply consent. This is obviously problematic for games whose publishers are no longer in business. Those games BTW are still not public domain, as creditors of the bankrupt firms may yet emerge and claim the rights.

As for individuals, let your conscience be your guide, but its understandable that the owners here would forbid links.

Comment

Thanks Tamerlin
                              Never knew about PG1 for Windows.
                              Downloading from the canines as I write this

Im many ways PG1 was da best. Every unit in PG1 serves its purpose. You can get by in the main campaign without AT guns or without air defense units, but for defensive scenarios they are essential. Infantry was crucial to take defended cities and to secure rough terrain.

In PG2 with default equipment file, on the other hand,
                              - infantry is useless
                              - AT is useless
                              - aircraft, while not exactly useless, have poor price/performance ratio - basically a waste of prestige.

You can do an entire blitz campaign with nothing but tanks, reckons, and SPADs and it is actually easier than if you try to build a balanced force.

Also original PG scenarios somehow seem much more memorable than PG2 ones. Novgorod is the only PG2 scenario that is a bit difficult. (Well maybe Savanna). Most PG1 scenarios are interesting as stand-alone ones as well as a part of the campaign. And they are challenging for both sides. In PG2 most maps do not really work as stand-alone scenarios (ie Novgorod can be won by Russians on the first turn). Thus, it is much less suitable for PBEM.
                              Last edited by ErikM; April 1, 2004, 15:10.
                              It is only totalitarian governments that suppress facts. In this country we simply take a democratic decision not to publish them. - Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister

Comment

Thanks Tamerlin
                                Downloading from the canines as I write this
                                You are welcomed.

Also original PG scenarios somehow seem much more memorable than PG2 ones. Novgorod is the only PG2 scenario that is a bit difficult. (Well maybe Savanna). Most PG1 scenarios are interesting as stand-alone ones as well as a part of the campaign. And they are challenging for both sides. In PG2 most maps do not really work as stand-alone scenarios (ie Novgorod can be won by Russians on the first turn). Thus, it is much less suitable for PBEM.
                                I must admit that the main problem I have with PG2 is the screen resolution, you have big units and big hexes but the part of the map you see is rather reduced.

With PG1 and Allied General, the screen resolution is by default the screen resolution you are using under WinXP, so if you are in 1024x768 you will have the same resolution under PG1 and AG, the units are smaller but the portion of the map displayed is greater. This is why I am playing the WWII scenarios with People's General instead of PG2 (and the aerial mission concept of PeG is far better IMO).

For those who would not already know it, try this gem of a site:

Extensive reading about Tanks, Soldiers, Ships, Aircraft and Wargames. Thousands of photos, great facts, useless trivia and lots of statistics by @usas_ww1.

Comment

Working...
                                X