All purpose Panzer General thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark
    tamerlin: The owners of this site do not allow links to the above site. Please edit your post, so this thread does not get deleted.
    Sorry, didn't knew it was not an authorized link as this site is only offering freewares and abandonwares... BTW you should now edit your own post as it is displaying the link I have removed...
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

You can just refer it to headquarters of lesser canines, or something like that.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Here are a couple of great sites devoted to the 5 Star series of wargames:

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I don't think performing multiple actions is a sign of a better unit. Performing advanced actions, on the other hand, is. It's just me, though
          Would you rather attack once a round or four times? Its kinda important

You can do that most of the time, just that with a bad leader, your unit is going to suck.
          I regualrly had only one artillery commander and 3 artillery units, so two had to be commanded by leaders from the wrong force. Its just stupid.

You don't think getting any equipment you wanted is ahistorial?
          You got equipment after it was historically available if you could afford the massive prestige cost of them. If you've won campaings that were historically lost, why wouldn't you have more than the historical number of Tiger tanks? Yours didn't get destroyed and your factories didn't get as badly bombed
          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
          H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by High_Flyer
            Here are a couple of great sites devoted to the 5 Star series of wargames:

yeah ive posted there.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Grumbold
              Would you rather attack once a round or four times? Its kinda important
              You can attack a number of times each turn, up to the limit of the unit type, in PG 3 (and 3D). Artillery can fire 3 times, for example.

I regualrly had only one artillery commander and 3 artillery units, so two had to be commanded by leaders from the wrong force. Its just stupid.
              Well, you can adjust your first and second choice of leaders. At least in PG 3. So I always pick artillery to be first choice and bombers second. I also never have more than 2 artillery units until the 2 commanders both achieve rank 10. When that happens it's almost near the end of the campaign anyway, so I would have at least one or two extra artillery commanders if I need them.

You got equipment after it was historically available if you could afford the massive prestige cost of them.
              There's no such thing as prestige cost in these two games. You have a chance of getting prototype and new equipment, and a chance of getting new leaders. Doing well means you get more promotions to use on your leaders.

If you've won campaings that were historically lost, why wouldn't you have more than the historical number of Tiger tanks? Yours didn't get destroyed and your factories didn't get as badly bombed
              Even if you play as Zhukov or Rommel, say, it seems that you are in fact controlling only a small number of units, not massive numbers of armies and corps
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Thats why PG3d sucks compared to PG2. We're back where we started - you really ought to try it!
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

When I said small number I mean 20 or so units, unlike in real history where massive numbers of divisions were involved.

I don't think you get to command hundreds of units in PG 2.

Comment

Very interesting. I didn't realise the early PG games were still popular. I recently dusted off my PG2 and played the blitizkrieg campaign (for the nth time - it is a bit too easy once you know it well).

I prefer to be vaguely historical with my unit choices so I run 2 panzer divisions, each with 2 tanks, 2 stosstruppen, a towed artillery, a SP artillery, a SP air defence, a SP anti-tank and a recon unit (total 2 x 9). Also a paratroop division with 3 fallschirm, a towed artillery, a SP air defence and a recon (6). Add another tank, a pionere infantry and another SP anti-tank and that is my ground army. In the air I manage with 3 fighters, a couple of stukas and a fighter-bomber type. Total 33 units and I expect to have all but one fighter and the fighter bomber by the start of Dunkirk.

On my last play through I picked up 10 brilliant and 3 ordinary victories so this force structure does work. The fallschirm are crucial to get brilliant victories in some scenarios (Dunkirk, Novgorod) and are generally useful for seizing chokepoints and guarding victory objectives.

Tip: the SP air defence really only pay if you are brave enough to let the AI see a juicy target, like an artillery unit, with your AD unit one hex further back and out of their spotting range. If the weather holds you get 2 shots at an enemy fighter before your own fighters finish it off. This can be dangerous if the enemy has bombers available and should not be tried against US forces in the last 2 scenarios.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      When I said small number I mean 20 or so units, unlike in real history where massive numbers of divisions were involved.

I don't think you get to command hundreds of units in PG 2.
                      You build up to about double that amount of core troops, plus whatever mission extras you get which varies widely. The invasion of Norway map has at least 15 non-core units, and that is an early mission.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

You build up to about double that amount of core troops, plus whatever mission extras you get which varies widely. The invasion of Norway map has at least 15 non-core units, and that is an early mission.
                        Im confused. In pg2 i get a Lillehammer scenario, not a Norway scenario. And there are no non-core units in that scen.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Im confused. In pg2 i get a Lillehammer scenario, not a Norway scenario. And there are no non-core units in that scen.
                          He is, I think, referring to the invasion of Norway scenario in the original Panzer General. In the original set of games you get a lot of core and auxiliary units but there is a limit to how many core units you can have in any particular scenario.

In PG2 the Lillehammer scenario does not have any auxiliary units and the later scenarios very few if any. I would normally have about 18 units by that stage of a campaign, maybe a couple more if I have gained any prototype units.
                          Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

You mean 40 core units plus 15 non-core?

Comment

it would help if people would mention in each post what version of PG they are referring to, as people have made statements about PG2 that seem to actually refer to original PG and not to PG2.

Comment

Well I thought it was PG2 but then I have replayed PG1 more recently. The two are very similar and both well worth playing. I wouldn't get Allied General, Pacific General or Star General confused with them, but one German scenario from another, tricky
                                H.Poincaré

Comment

Working...
                                X