Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the GTA series the best game series of the last ten years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah I meant driving game. It's the only good way to get around. Sure you can run. But what good is that?

Comment

much prefr playing that type of game on the ps2 than the pc...
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Just hijacking a car and driving around town with the tunes playing is fun for me.

Indeed... like Morrowind you don't have to do the main quest if you don't want to. Just have a good time exploring. The NEW GTA is going allow you to go into more buildings, IIRC.

Sure you can run. But what good is that?

Sometimes it is good to run, especially after someone running away and you don't have time to grab a car.

--

And I got both GTA and VC on the PC... nothing wrong with that at all . Gotta love the mouse to shoot people with .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by dudemanjack
          For me, GTA III and Vice City just get really old really fast.
          Agreed. I played Vice City on PS2 and, although it was amusing to begin with, it quickly lost my interest.

Again, my vote would go to the Final Fantasy series.

Comment

Wait, so you don't like GTA, but you like Final Fantasy?!

Your opinion has officially been discredited... now exit to the door on your right .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Bah. GTA is good for BRIEF entertainment, to keep you occupied for 5 minutes. It's missions are repetitious. After an hour of gameplay, you have nothing new to explore, accomplish, or see. So, it's not so much a question of not liking it, rather than not finding it to be as great as it was said to be.

Final Fantasy, OTOH, is one of the greatest series ever, Final Fantasy III being the greatest game ever. Engaging plots, objectives, and characters. Interesting locale, species, myths, weapons. Granted, the newer installments in the series appear to have lost what the series once had, they are still wildly popular.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Comment

Nothing new to explore?
                I take it you didn't even try to find all the hidden packages? Or complete the rampage missions? Or even do jumps whereever you could find them in the hope they were a unique jump? And I doubt you could get to the third island in GTA3 within an hours gameplay. Nor open up the second half of the map in Vice City.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Even though I have played lots of GTA, I still make new discoveries from time to time... (ok, not anymore, since I don't have it installed)
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Oh my god cross posting!

Wouldn't GTA be cool if they morphed it a little, and it became an RPG?
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

/me takes a look at all rpg games he's ever heard of

No thanks, I don't want all characters in the game to start throwing fire and lightening-balls...
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I mean if they changed the way that the story was played out. Maybe give it more of an RPG feel. Not the RPG worlds and powers though, that would be kinda cool for a while, but then it would suck. Unless they were able to pull a real miracle and improve the graphics.
                        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

You can do limited changes to improve your character. Like getting their health permanently doubled, or their armour, or allowing them to run forever without getting tired.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

GTA is good for BRIEF entertainment, to keep you occupied for 5 minutes. It's missions are repetitious. After an hour of gameplay, you have nothing new to explore, accomplish, or see. So, it's not so much a question of not liking it, rather than not finding it to be as great as it was said to be.

What Skanky said . The missions are wonderfully NOT repetitious. I mean, how many times did you have a mission to steal a tank? Or blowing up rival gang's stands? Or shooting down a plane with drug money? AND you can do each mission in any way you please. With some foresight, you can plan for escape and go about it that way.

GTA was a wonderful game that kept me playing throughout the entire story. Interesting little nooks and crannies to find out. Very fun side quests (who can forget the Cuban side quest in VC?) which flesh out the game further.

And talking about 'repetitious', what about the battles in FF?

Wouldn't GTA be cool if they morphed it a little, and it became an RPG?

Well it almost is . All they'd have to do was to include character advancement.

Comment

OK, I didn't read the whole thread, but GTA and GTA 2 weren't that great- so this may be a reason to dismiss them as the best game serie.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

GTA is a good game... but not great. The best series' IMO:

CIV (duh ... except for Civ3... it sucks)
                                Doom
                                Wolfenstein
                                EA's NHL series
                                EA's Madden series
                                Quake
                                Warcraft (before WC3)
                                Delta Force Series
                                Simcity

those are the "greats"... GTA would be under "good"
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X