Your favorite game, for each genre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite game, for each genre

It's been a while since last "Favorite game" votes, so here it is...

...though this time it's a little different:

You may vote for 3 different games, for each genre

I wont decide which genres to vote for, but if it seems too obvious that some poster voted for a game of one genre, that defently belongs to another genre, I'll point it out...

Post your votes like this:

Genre1
    1) BestGame
    2) SecondGame
    3) LastGame

Genre2
    1) BestGame
    2) ...youGetThePoint...

When calculating:
    #1 gives 10 points
    #2 gives 4 points
    #3 gives 1 points

OR you may distribute all 15 points for up to 3 games for each genre

I'll post my top games later

An updated list of votes is to find on this page
    Last edited by Adagio; October 8, 2003, 14:12.
    This space is empty... or is it?

Genre: TBS

1) SMAC/X
    2) Galactic Civilizations
    3) Master of Magic

Genre: RTS

1) Command and Conquer, Red Alert
    2) Star Craft
    3) Rise of Nations

Genre: Sim type Games

1) Caesar III
    2) Sid Meier's SimGolf
    3) Sim City 4

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Here's my votes:

TBS:
      1) Worms 3D (Have only played the demo, and I'm already addicted )
      2) Worms World Party
      3) Civilization 3

RTS:
      1) The Settlers II - Veni Vidi Vici
      2) Rise of Nations
      3) Dune 2

Tactic RTS:
      1) Syndicate Wars (10)
      2) Syndicate (5)

Tycoon:
      1) SimCity 4
      2) Tropico
      3) RollerCoaster Tycoon

Adventure:
      1) The Longest Journey
      2) Grim Fandango
      3) Sanitarium

FPS:
      1) Duke Nukem 3D
      2) Serious Sam
      3) Serious Sam - Second Encounter

Fighting:
      1) Tekken 2
      2) Mortal Kombat II
      3) Tekken 3

Other: (Hard to define)
      1) Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (10)
      2) Boulder Dash (5)

Comment

Can they be any game?

TBS:
        1) Civ 2 MGE
        2) HOMM 2
        3) Worms Armageddon

RTS:
        1) Warcraft 2
        2) Starcraft
        3) Diablo 2

Tactic RTS:
        none.

Tycoon:
        1) Sim City 2000

Adventure:
        1) Space Quest 4

FPS:
        1) Descent 10 pt
        2) Duke Nukem 3D 5 pt

Fighting:
        1) Tekken Tag

Other: (Hard to define)
        1) Lost Vikings
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

[Genre: TBS

1) Moo
          2) Civilization III
          3) Homm

Genre: RTS

1) Command and Conquer
          2) Total Annihilation
          3) War Craft

Genre: RPG

1) Might and Magic
          2) Diablo II
          3) Bauldars Gate

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Can they be any game?
            Yes, but a game and a game with expansion packs/mods is counted as one game... not different games... (Civ2 = Civ2 with addons)

RTS:
            3) Diablo 2
            Wouldn't that be RPG?

Tactic RTS:
            none.
            You don't have to mention the genres, where you don't want to vote for something... there's other genres than those I have mentioned, so don't just look at my genre pick...

Comment

TBS:
              1) CTP 2
              2) CTP 1
              3) Freeciv

Shoot em up/Scrolling Shooters:
              1) Radiant Silvergun
              2) Soukyugurentai
              3) Metal Slug

Beat em up/Fighting:
              1) Virtua Fighter 2
              2) Xmen Vs. Street Fighter
              3) Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Tycoon/Manager/Builder/God Games:
              1) Sim City 2000 8pts
              2) Theme Park 7pts

Sport or Simulation Games?:
              1) Championship Manager 01/02 10pts
              2) Track and Field 5pts

FPS:
              1) Half-Life 10pts
              2) Virtua Cop 2 5pts

Platform Games:
              1) Sonic 2

Other:
              1) NiGHTS into Dreams
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

TBS
                1. Civ2
                2. Imp2
                3. SMAC

RTS
                1. Age of Empires
                2. 1602

(Those are the only two i own. I think id rank AOE high even if i had a lot more. Ive only played the demo of 7k, but id be inclined to put that down as number 3)

Wargames
                (Should this be a seperate category, or roll up with RTS and TBS?)
                1. SMG/SMA
                2. RE Lee: Civil War General
                (Again i dont own many - SMG would be up there in any case, i suspect CWG wouldnt be. If this isnt a category, SMG should be number 2 RTS)

Simtype games
                1. Simcity 2000
                2. Caesar 3
                3. Simtown

(number 3 is hard, sim town is a kid's game, but succeeds at what its trying to do better as far as i cant tell better than simcopter or simtower, the best ive yet found on simania pack. simearth i never really overcame interface issues)

Adventure
                1. Colossal Cave
                2. Zork
                3. Myst
                (another hard one - Myst is only game ive bought, but it doesnt deserve many points. I dont remember which Zork - the text based one that starts you outside a house with a mailbox)
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  Wargames
                  (Should this be a seperate category, or roll up with RTS and TBS?)
                  I don't know... I have no clue what wargames is... is it a game where you have to build buildings/train soldiers, or do you just command your troops around?

If it's the latter one, I believe it will go under Tactic games... but since I haven't played them, I'm not sure... what do you others say about this?

Comment

Originally posted by ADG

I don't know... I have no clue what wargames is... is it a game where you have to build buildings/train soldiers, or do you just command your troops around?

If it's the latter one, I believe it will go under Tactic games... but since I haven't played them, I'm not sure... what do you others say about this?
                    "Wargames" is used by many to indicate a strategy game that models an actual historical war or battle, with some degree of accuracy (though it may include scenario making tools as well, like The Operational Art of War) It generally wouldnt include producing new units - though a grand strategy level game like axis and allies or the more realistic third reich do allow that. But its more like use production points to create a division - not build a barracks and generate troops there - which simply is too inaccurate in terms of scale and otherwise. A game like HOI or EU models an actual historical situation, and and allows creation of units, but at least in the case of EU is not considered a wargame since its possible to win without actually going to war (this has generated great debate on Csipg.warhistorical) HOI is closer to a war game in this respect.

The two games I have referred to are Sid Meiers Gettysburg (together with its follow up Sid Meiers Antietam) and Robert E Lee Civil War General. The latter is a typical TBS wargame with units representing brigades (note well - if you cant say what size units your "units" represent (as in AOE) you're NOT playing a wargame). SMG/SMA is atypical in that its RT, but is both strongly historically accurate, and in many other respects fits better with other wargames than with RTS. Im not familiar with Tactical real time other than SMG/SMA, so im not sure if it really belongs there.

Myself, I think Wargames deserve a seperate category, but not if it creates confusion.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

TBS :
                      1. SMAC/X
                      2. Master of Magic
                      3. Master of Orion 2

RTS :
                      1. Hearts of Iron
                      2. Medieval : Total War
                      3. Sudden Strike 2

RPG :
                      1. Baldurs Gate 2
                      2. Baldurs Gate 1
                      3. Icewind Dale 2

Puzzle :
                      1. Lemmings
                      2. Oh no! More Lemmings
                      3. Lemmings 2 (yes I love lemmings games)

Sport/Sim games
                      1. Sensible World of Soccer
                      2. Sim City 2000
                      3. Sim Life

That should keep you busy playing that lot It keeps me busy enough.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Myself, I think Wargames deserve a seperate category, but not if it creates confusion.
                        There are two sorts of wargames - TBS or RTS. The games should fall under those two catagories. Perhaps your favorite TBS is a wargame, perhaps its chess. Eh?

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski

There are two sorts of wargames - TBS or RTS. The games should fall under those two catagories. Perhaps your favorite TBS is a wargame, perhaps its chess. Eh?

-Jam
                          But my favorite RTS is Sid Meiers Gettysburg, and i think comparing how it models a civil war battle with how CWG or Norm Koger's "Age of Rifles" does makes more sense than comparing it with with Warcraft.

And I note that one of your favorite RTS is Medieval Total War, which IIUC has a TB strategic "wrapper".

Frankly I think the whole TBS/RTS breakdown doesnt make much sense anymore, especially not for the historically oriented games i like most.

Comment

Puzzle :
                            1. Lemmings
                            2. Oh no! More Lemmings
                            3. Lemmings 2 (yes I love lemmings games)
                            Hmmm... maybe I should add my Lemmings game to Puzzle instead... that would fit better... just couldn't remember that word at that time...

Sport/Sim games
                            1. Sensible World of Soccer
                            2. Sim City 2000
                            3. Sim Life
                            Soccer = sport, therefor it should go to the sport category
                            SimCity, SimWhatEver = Tycoon, therefor they goes to Tycoon games (I know there has been some talk about this before, but since I'm the creator of the thread, I choose SimCity type of games to belong to Tycoon games

I wont add your votes for tonight... that has to wait til tomorow...

For all people I have questioned something:

I haven't added the parts in the question (e.g. Diablo in RTS and wargame, and those), and I wont add them until I'm sure about what the votes should be added as

Comment

edited cause i made a silly mistake.

Im thinking of starting my own thread on favorite games by topic, thus bypassing the genre disitinctions i dislike.
                              Last edited by lord of the mark; October 14, 2003, 13:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X